Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

Assuming WinXP:

1. Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) regsvr32 wintrust.dll | OK

If no joy:

2. Start | Run | (type) CMD | OK

Type or copy/paste each of the following lines into the Command box in turn,
pressing ENTER after entering each line:

net stop cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2

net start cryptsvc

Close the Command window.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


Matthew W. I. Dunn wrote:
> In recent weeks, the following has been happening:
>
> I open the Automatic Updates Box. I click on the link at the bottom:
> "Windows Update Website." (YES, updates are set to be updated
> automatically.) The IE7 browser opens to the update site; the site starts
> checking for ActiveX controls; and, then I get the following message:
>
> "Error number 0x800B0100
>
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view"
>
> However, if I click the Refresh button on the browser, the page loads
> fine.
>
> Until a couple weeks ago, this never happened.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
mwidunn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
Thanks for the advice.

I copied and pasted "regsvr32 wintrust.dll," and I got a box saying:
"DllRegisterServer in wintrust.dll succeeded." So, I hope that solves
it.

I am a computer novice. Could you, please, tell me what I just did?




On Jul 15, 9:41*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Assuming WinXP:
>
> 1. Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) regsvr32 wintrust.dll | OK
>
> If no joy:
>
> 2. Start | Run | (type) CMD | OK
>
> Type or copy/paste each of the following lines into the Command box in turn,
> pressing ENTER after entering each line:
>
> net stop cryptsvc
>
> ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
>
> net start cryptsvc
>
> Close the Command window.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
>
> Matthew W. I. Dunn wrote:
>
>
>
> > In recent weeks, the following has been happening:

>
> > I open the Automatic Updates Box. *I click on the link at the bottom:
> > "Windows Update Website." (YES, updates are set to be updated
> > automatically.) The IE7 browser opens to the update site; the site starts
> > checking for ActiveX controls; and, then I get the following message:

>
> > "Error number 0x800B0100

>
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view"

>
> > However, if I click the Refresh button on the browser, the page loads
> > fine.

>
> > Until a couple weeks ago, this never happened.- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
Matthew W. I. Dunn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
Thanks! I pasted the .dll file in your first suggestion and got a box
telling me:

"DllRegisterServer in wintrust.dll succeeded"

Could you, please, follow up with an explanation of what I did. I am not a
computer expert.

Thanks again.




"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Assuming WinXP:
>
> 1. Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) regsvr32 wintrust.dll | OK
>
> If no joy:
>
> 2. Start | Run | (type) CMD | OK
>
> Type or copy/paste each of the following lines into the Command box in turn,
> pressing ENTER after entering each line:
>
> net stop cryptsvc
>
> ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
>
> net start cryptsvc
>
> Close the Command window.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>
> Matthew W. I. Dunn wrote:
> > In recent weeks, the following has been happening:
> >
> > I open the Automatic Updates Box. I click on the link at the bottom:
> > "Windows Update Website." (YES, updates are set to be updated
> > automatically.) The IE7 browser opens to the update site; the site starts
> > checking for ActiveX controls; and, then I get the following message:
> >
> > "Error number 0x800B0100
> >
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view"
> >
> > However, if I click the Refresh button on the browser, the page loads
> > fine.
> >
> > Until a couple weeks ago, this never happened.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
You're welcome and thanks for your feedback, Matthew.

Did doing #1 (only) fix the problem?

You re-registered a file named WINTRUST.DLL which is crucial for Automatic
Updates to work properly. Basically, it's the file that "tells" your
machine that the update servers, etc., are legit.

How does it get "broken"? The usual culprits include settings on your
computer put in place by numerous security-related applications (e.g.,
anti-virus; anti-spyware) and/or incomplete uninstalls of these
applications.
--
~PA Bear


Matthew W. I. Dunn wrote:
> Thanks! I pasted the .dll file in your first suggestion and got a box
> telling me:
>
> "DllRegisterServer in wintrust.dll succeeded"
>
> Could you, please, follow up with an explanation of what I did. I am not
> a
> computer expert.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> Assuming WinXP:
>>
>> 1. Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) regsvr32 wintrust.dll | OK
>>
>> If no joy:
>>
>> 2. Start | Run | (type) CMD | OK
>>
>> Type or copy/paste each of the following lines into the Command box in
>> turn, pressing ENTER after entering each line:
>>
>> net stop cryptsvc
>>
>> ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
>>
>> net start cryptsvc
>>
>> Close the Command window.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>>
>> Matthew W. I. Dunn wrote:
>>> In recent weeks, the following has been happening:
>>>
>>> I open the Automatic Updates Box. I click on the link at the bottom:
>>> "Windows Update Website." (YES, updates are set to be updated
>>> automatically.) The IE7 browser opens to the update site; the site
>>> starts
>>> checking for ActiveX controls; and, then I get the following message:
>>>
>>> "Error number 0x800B0100
>>>
>>> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>>> are
>>> trying to view"
>>>
>>> However, if I click the Refresh button on the browser, the page loads
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> Until a couple weeks ago, this never happened.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2008
mwidunn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
To follow up: Sorry, no, the problem hasn't fixed itself.

When I go to the update site, I'm still getting that error message. I
have to refresh the browser a couple of times before it will bring up
the Express and Custom buttons. And, after I click on one of those
buttons, it will go through the process and give me the message
again. I have to refresh the browser a couple of times before it will
go through alright.

I did not try your second fix, only because I'm a little concerned
about poking around in the computer.

I have Zonealarm running -- which I had to re-install due to the MSFT
hotfix fiasco with Internet connectivity. Could that be it? (Though,
this issue pre-dated the Zonealarm issue.)



On Jul 17, 3:26*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're welcome and thanks for your feedback, Matthew.
>
> Did doing #1 (only) fix the problem?
>
> You re-registered a file named WINTRUST.DLL which is crucial for Automatic
> Updates to work properly. *Basically, it's the file that "tells" your
> machine that the update servers, etc., are legit.
>
> How does it get "broken"? *The usual culprits include settings on your
> computer put in place by numerous security-related applications (e.g.,
> anti-virus; anti-spyware) and/or incomplete uninstalls of these
> applications.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error 0x800B0100 When Using Auto Updates
History of this thread (15 Jul-08 &ff):
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1d9aa0a11e94b0

Your other ongoing and earlier thread in IE General (12 Jul-08 &ff):
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...62c0fce1ba5ec6

From a post of yours in the latter:

<QP>
I did download and uninstall some freeware last week...I did have to do some
"clean up" by searching for and deleting files after the freeware was
uninstalled. But, I am *reasonably* sure that this is not the issue --
especially, since the browser history was still being kept days after
everything had been uninstalled, scanned, cleaned out, and scanned again.
</QP>

These two (2) issues could very well be related. Judging from similar posts
in both newsgroups since late May-08, the behaviors may be due to a
Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot infection, all of which is protected by a rootkit.

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
by an expert in such matters, not here.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.

==========================================

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mwidunn wrote:
> To follow up: Sorry, no, the problem hasn't fixed itself.
>
> When I go to the update site, I'm still getting that error message. I
> have to refresh the browser a couple of times before it will bring up
> the Express and Custom buttons. And, after I click on one of those
> buttons, it will go through the process and give me the message
> again. I have to refresh the browser a couple of times before it will
> go through alright.
>
> I did not try your second fix, only because I'm a little concerned
> about poking around in the computer.
>
> I have Zonealarm running -- which I had to re-install due to the MSFT
> hotfix fiasco with Internet connectivity. Could that be it? (Though,
> this issue pre-dated the Zonealarm issue.)
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> You're welcome and thanks for your feedback, Matthew.
>>
>> Did doing #1 (only) fix the problem?
>>
>> You re-registered a file named WINTRUST.DLL which is crucial for
>> Automatic
>> Updates to work properly. Basically, it's the file that "tells" your
>> machine that the update servers, etc., are legit.
>>
>> How does it get "broken"? The usual culprits include settings on your
>> computer put in place by numerous security-related applications (e.g.,
>> anti-virus; anti-spyware) and/or incomplete uninstalls of these
>> applications.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot install auto updates RichardB microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 06-27-2008 10:16
Auto updates and ACT! Alan C microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 06-04-2008 10:23
RE: Error number: 0x800B0100 Barkimmy microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 05-05-2008 00:26
Auto updates repeating same updates winterfever microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 02-01-2008 22:11
auto updates need help charliebird Windows Vista Home Premium 1 11-11-2007 19:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:22.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120