SP1 update error 80070570

ZaPanda

SP1 update error 80070570
Service Pack 1 Update

Windows Vista error 80070570 or error 0x80070570

Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.

Hey,

I just finished a ridiculously long session with tech support—we’re talking
five hours plus here. I’m posting this in the hopes that it will save some
poor muppet from wasting his or her entire day. Before I called tech
support, I did EVERYTHING that was suggested on the self-help guides, with no
success (e.g. ran the Chkdisk utility, virus scan, ran SP 1 as standalone).
After five hours of tinkering, I broke down and called Microsoft.

My background: I don’t know jack about computers, but I’m the king of
messing with stuff until it works. What I suggest here may work for you, but
you’re on your own. Microsoft will walk you through this if you have the
time. To someone who is more experienced, my directions will sound naïve,
but I don’t care. As I said before, if I save one person the agony of
spending a day fixing something that should never have broken in the first
place, then my work is done.

My situation: My dad bought a spanking new laptop and Service Pack 1 failed
to install during a scheduled, 3a.m. update. The good son (me) was asked to
fix the problem.

What is detailed below is the process tech support walked me through over an
entire afternoon.

1. The problem was diagnosed as faulty/corrupt system files. If a single
system file is corrupt, Vista can’t update.

2. Go into Programs and Features and uninstall you antivirus software. I
was running Trend Micro (obviously don’t do anything that could cause
problems with your antivirus software down).

3. Before you start all the baloney that follows, make sure to download and
save a STAND ALONE COPY of SP1 to your desktop. Depending upon your
connection speed, this may take an hour or more. Do not run the file from
the on-line source. Save the file somewhere like your desktop.

[cut and
paste]http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

4. Go to Control Panel-->Programs and Features -->Click Turn Windows
features on or off (in upper left corner)-->Click Continue-->hit + key next
to Microsoft NET Framework 3.0 -->uncheck XPS viewer-->uncheck Remote
Differential Compression -->uncheck Windows DFS Replication Service.

5. Confirm everything. Restart your system. With windows running, load the
system restore DVD that came with your computer. This should fix the system
files. As soon as you put in the DVD, you should click on the Upgrade
feature. THIS PROCESS WILL TAKE AN HOUR, or more. Your computer will turn
off and on many times, so if you’re running a laptop make sure you’re plugged
in and not on battery power.

6. As soon as the process is over it will give you the option for, um,
something. Click “ask me later.”

7. Take the DVD out (you may be able to do the SP1 update with the disk in,
but why chance it).

8. Now you’re ready to run SP1. Click on the file and run it. (once again,
this will take an hour or more and your computer will turn off and on many
times. Don’t touch the machine while it’s updating.).

9. When the process is over your computer should give you the message that
SP1 installed successfully.

things from step 4 back on.

11. Reinstall your anti-virus software.

F.Y.I, for some reason, the update knocked all the Bluetooth stuff off-line,
so I had to re-install the drivers for that stuff too.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation. Let me know if this works for
anyone. Best of luck. ~ZP

ICM8781

RE: SP1 update error 80070570
I have Trend Micro protection software too. Maybe that's what's causing it.
The only problem is I have a Home Built computer with no Backup disk. and I
can't just reinstall everything.