malicious software removal tool (kb890830) - crashed pc

dave ed

malicious software removal tool (kb890830) - crashed pc
Download of the 9th July update of the malicious software removal tool and
then restarting my pc to initialize it, has crashed my computer. An error
screen comes up after it tries to boot Windows XP Home Edition which consists
of a black screen with an apology for the error and options to start pc from
'last known good configuration', safe mode, etc. There is a 30 second counter
at the bottom of screen during which you're supposed to select your option.
No matter which option I select or, if I leave the counter to reach zero, the
pc tries to boot Windows, fails to do so , and returns to the error screen in
a never ending cycle of doom.

I've tried phoning Microsoft but, apparently, they can't suggest a solution
without me being able to access the Home Support software through the start
button.

I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm hoping that someone out
there can suggest a solution to my dilemma and resurrect my ailing pc. Thanks

Engel

RE: malicious software removal tool (kb890830) - crashed pc
Hello Dave ,

Reboot
-=-

Clearing Temporary Internet files, cookies and history in Internet Explorer

Tools>Internet Options>General
You’ll see Delete Cookies, Delete files, Delete History
- -- ---

Disk Cleanup

Click Start.
Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.

Click OK and Yes when prompted to delete files.
-=-

Try to install on top

I'd recommend re-downloading Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal
Tool (KB890830), and saving to a known location--like the desktop.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>

After the download is complete, Temporarily disable real-time protection
by your antivirus and/or anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy,
Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g.,
ZA) before attempting to install the update(s). for long enough to do the
installation. (Stop all programs that are open in the bottom taskbar) etc.

This may be worth trying in your cªse.

Try to install the program now from the desktop

Good luck
- -- --

"dave ed" wrote:

> Download of the 9th July update of the malicious software removal tool and
> then restarting my pc to initialize it, has crashed my computer. An error
> screen comes up after it tries to boot Windows XP Home Edition which consists
> of a black screen with an apology for the error and options to start pc from
> 'last known good configuration', safe mode, etc. There is a 30 second counter
> at the bottom of screen during which you're supposed to select your option.
> No matter which option I select or, if I leave the counter to reach zero, the
> pc tries to boot Windows, fails to do so , and returns to the error screen in
> a never ending cycle of doom.
>
> I've tried phoning Microsoft but, apparently, they can't suggest a solution
> without me being able to access the Home Support software through the start
> button.
>
> I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm hoping that someone out
> there can suggest a solution to my dilemma and resurrect my ailing pc. Thanks

Re: malicious software removal tool (kb890830) - crashed pc
WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Are you certain that the Malicious Software Removal Tool was the only
"update" that downloaded/installed?

(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dave ed wrote:
> Download of the 9th July update of the malicious software removal tool and
> then restarting my pc to initialize it, has crashed my computer. An error
> screen comes up after it tries to boot Windows XP Home Edition which
> consists of a black screen with an apology for the error and options to
> start pc from 'last known good configuration', safe mode, etc. There is a
> 30 second counter at the bottom of screen during which you're supposed to
> select your option. No matter which option I select or, if I leave the
> counter to reach zero, the pc tries to boot Windows, fails to do so , and
> returns to the error screen in a never ending cycle of doom.
>
> I've tried phoning Microsoft but, apparently, they can't suggest a
> solution
> without me being able to access the Home Support software through the
> start
> button.
>
> I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm hoping that someone
> out
> there can suggest a solution to my dilemma and resurrect my ailing pc.
> Thanks

Chanda

RE: malicious software removal tool (kb890830) - crashed pc
I am also having the same issue with 3 of our severs. After running the
KB890830 June update as well as a couple other updates the servers did not
come back up after the reboot.

Had missing ntldr message and had to copy files to c in order to boot. Was
able to get server to boot back into Windows but the boot.ini and other boot
files do not stay on the machine. I can copy them out there but within an
hour's time they disappear.

I have updated virus and anti-spyware protection and scanned the machines
but they turn up clean.