Why update?

MedRxman

Why update?
Are the security updates really necessary?

I can understand a program up date but not the security updates.

Especially on a wireless router and firewall. Are they not supposed to
prevent someone from entering your system?

Help me understand.

TIA

Re: Why update?
If security updates aren't "really necessary", why do you use an anti-virus
application (let alone have it configured to scan outgoing messages)?

Are seatbelts "really necessary"? Are car-seats for kids? Is the FDA
"really necessary"?...

MedRxman wrote:
> Are the security updates really necessary?
>
> I can understand a program up date but not the security updates.
>
> Especially on a wireless router and firewall. Are they not supposed to
> prevent someone from entering your system?
>
> Help me understand.
>
> TIA

Shenan Stanley

Re: Why update?
MedRxman wrote:
> Are the security updates really necessary?
>
> I can understand a program up date but not the security updates.
>
> Especially on a wireless router and firewall. Are they not supposed
> to prevent someone from entering your system?
>
> Help me understand.

It is not necessary for you to do anything to your computer you do not wish
to do.

No one forced you to run Windows (of any version) - you must choose to. You
don't *have* to install Windows XP, Windows XP SP1/SP1a, Windows XP SP2 or
Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows Vista SP1. You could be running
RedHat, SUSE or Ubuntu. Microsoft Office 95/97/2000/XP/2003/2007 or
WordPerfect or OpenOffice. You might have even decided Windows ME was
working fine. You might have dial-up, DSL, Cable modem or no Internet
access at all. Your choice is determined by your need.

The Security Updates fix known issues with the operating system - usually
those that can be exploited in a number of ways - some of which a
firewall/NAT router would provide no protection for. You would have to read
more about what the Security Update (specific one(s)) actually fixes in
order to know how the flaw is taken advantage of.

So necessary - no. Wise - likely.

Why would you *not* want to install certain updates?
Do you currently choose (and read all about each update before doing so)
which updates to install or not?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Why update?
MedRxman wrote:
> Are the security updates really necessary?
>
> I can understand a program up date but not the security updates.
>
> Especially on a wireless router and firewall. Are they not supposed to
> prevent someone from entering your system?
>
> Help me understand.
>
> TIA

Read this:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

Re: Why update?
MedRxman wrote:
> Are the security updates really necessary?
>
> I can understand a program up date but not the security updates.
>
> Especially on a wireless router and firewall. Are they not supposed to
> prevent someone from entering your system?
>
> Help me understand.
>
> TIA

If you value the messages in your OE, disable the AV check. It's
redundant and not necessary but can royally screw up OE.

MedRxman

Re: Why update?
to this point in time I have installed ALL updates except SP3. In reading
all the issues on this NG I am abit fearful. I just made an image of my HD
and am thinking this thru a bit more.

Appreciate your opinion.

MedRxman wrote:
> to this point in time I have installed ALL updates except SP3. In
> reading all the issues on this NG I am abit fearful. I just made an
> image of my HD and am thinking this thru a bit more.
>
> Appreciate your opinion.

Yes - I recall you asking some time back (June 8, 2008) about IE7 and
whether or not it was included in SP3.
(It is not.)

Careful is good, fearful might cause careful - but I am unsure if I would
describe what you are feeling as fear. Anxiety - probably.

Same advice with a couple of additives about SP3...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP