error messages

orange shark

error messages
Hi, this is my first post on here and i don't know whether this is the right
place to post.

Basicly I have 2 laptops, an inspiron 6400 and a latitude D620, both have
come down with a similar error.

Firstly the latitude: I installed an update via Windows update, the update
was KB955020, which i have researched to improve the english and german
standard dictionary. The problem is when i rebooted the laptop an error
message appeared after the DELL screen, the error is as follows "Windows
failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." it
then gives me a way to fix it which does not work and after says

"File: /Windows/system32/drivers/wdf01000.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or
corrupt."

The inspiron: I installed the same updates but the same error came up with
different options

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause" but this time it doesnt tell you whats wrong but gives me an option to
continue, safe mode, or restore last setting. I tried all of these and
continuing and restoring last settings do nothing. When i go into safe mode
it goes through a lot of files and always stops on the same file:
/Windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys, then reboots and it comes up with the
same error.

Other information is that both these computers have been upgraded to Vista
Ultimate,the inspiron had Vista Basic and the latitude had XP proffesional.

Any help?

Thanks in advance
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: error messages
From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955020

> WORKAROUND
> To work around this issue, add the word to the dictionary. To do this, perform one of the following
> actions.
>
> Note These two actions apply to Windows Mail only.
> • Right-click the flagged word, and then click Add to Dictionary.
> • Click Add to Dictionary in the Spelling & Grammar dialog box.
> When you add the word to the dictionary, the word is added to the Custom.dic dictionary file.
> <snip>
> MORE INFORMATION
> Some words may not be in the English language dictionary or in the German language dictionary in
> programs that run on Windows Vista or on Windows Server 2008. When a word is not in the dictionary,
> the spelling checker tries to suggest words that have spellings that resemble the unrecognized word.
>
> Occasionally, Microsoft updates the standard dictionaries. The words "Friendster," "Klum," "Nazr,"
> "Obama," and "Racicot" are currently not in the English-language dictionary.
>
> This update automatically adds these words to the English-language dictionary and to the
> German-language dictionary. You can also add these words by using the steps in the "Workaround"
> section.

The update replaces two .dll files and should *not* be causing, what
appears to be, a driver issue. Suggest you uninstall the update from
within Safe Mode IF you can boot the systems to Safe Mode and then use
the Workaround from KB955020.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

orange shark wrote:

> Hi, this is my first post on here and i don't know whether this is the right
> place to post.
>

> Basicly I have 2 laptops, an inspiron 6400 and a latitude D620, both have
> come down with a similar error.
>

> Firstly the latitude: I installed an update via Windows update, the update
> was KB955020, which i have researched to improve the english and german
> standard dictionary. The problem is when i rebooted the laptop an error
> message appeared after the DELL screen, the error is as follows "Windows
> failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." it
> then gives me a way to fix it which does not work and after says
>
> "File: /Windows/system32/drivers/wdf01000.sys

> Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or
> corrupt."
>

> The inspiron: I installed the same updates but the same error came up with
> different options
>
> "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
> cause" but this time it doesnt tell you whats wrong but gives me an option to
> continue, safe mode, or restore last setting. I tried all of these and
> continuing and restoring last settings do nothing. When i go into safe mode
> it goes through a lot of files and always stops on the same file:
> /Windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys, then reboots and it comes up with the
> same error.
>

> Other information is that both these computers have been upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate,the inspiron had Vista Basic and the latitude had XP proffesional.
>

> Any help?
>

> Thanks in advance

Re: error messages
Are the machines currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST A QUESTION!!

OT Tip: When composing a post or email in Word, only use ENTER to begin a
new paragraph. To begin a new line, use Shift+ENTER.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

orange shark wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post on here and i don't know whether this is the
> right
> place to post.
>

> Basicly I have 2 laptops, an inspiron 6400 and a latitude D620, both have
> come down with a similar error.
>

> Firstly the latitude: I installed an update via Windows update, the update
> was KB955020, which i have researched to improve the english and german
> standard dictionary. The problem is when i rebooted the laptop an error
> message appeared after the DELL screen, the error is as follows "Windows
> failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
> it then gives me a way to fix it which does not work and after says
>
> "File: /Windows/system32/drivers/wdf01000.sys

> Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing
> or
> corrupt."
>

> The inspiron: I installed the same updates but the same error came up
> with
> different options
>
> "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be
> the
> cause" but this time it doesnt tell you whats wrong but gives me an option
> to continue, safe mode, or restore last setting. I tried all of these and
> continuing and restoring last settings do nothing. When i go into safe
> mode
> it goes through a lot of files and always stops on the same file:
> /Windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys, then reboots and it comes up with
> the
> same error.
>

> Other information is that both these computers have been upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate,the inspiron had Vista Basic and the latitude had XP
> proffesional.
>

> Any help?
>

> Thanks in advance

orange shark

Re: error messages
Hi,
i cant boot it up into safe mode because it just keep coming up with files
and then rebooting

i don't know if they had the service packs on them or not because i didnt
really take notice. Is there a way to find out whther i have the service
packs or not?

thanks in advance

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are the machines currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST A QUESTION!!
>
> OT Tip: When composing a post or email in Word, only use ENTER to begin a
> new paragraph. To begin a new line, use Shift+ENTER.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> orange shark wrote:
> > Hi, this is my first post on here and i don't know whether this is the
> > right
> > place to post.
> >

> > Basicly I have 2 laptops, an inspiron 6400 and a latitude D620, both have
> > come down with a similar error.
> >

> > Firstly the latitude: I installed an update via Windows update, the update
> > was KB955020, which i have researched to improve the english and german
> > standard dictionary. The problem is when i rebooted the laptop an error
> > message appeared after the DELL screen, the error is as follows "Windows
> > failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
> > it then gives me a way to fix it which does not work and after says
> >
> > "File: /Windows/system32/drivers/wdf01000.sys

> > Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing
> > or
> > corrupt."
> >

> > The inspiron: I installed the same updates but the same error came up
> > with
> > different options
> >
> > "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be
> > the
> > cause" but this time it doesnt tell you whats wrong but gives me an option
> > to continue, safe mode, or restore last setting. I tried all of these and
> > continuing and restoring last settings do nothing. When i go into safe
> > mode
> > it goes through a lot of files and always stops on the same file:
> > /Windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys, then reboots and it comes up with
> > the
> > same error.
> >

> > Other information is that both these computers have been upgraded to Vista
> > Ultimate,the inspiron had Vista Basic and the latitude had XP
> > proffesional.
> >

> > Any help?
> >

> > Thanks in advance

Re: error messages
If you're running Vista SP1, you qualify for free support about this
problem.

If you're not, you'll have to obtain support from the computer manufacturer.

orange shark wrote:
> Hi,
> i cant boot it up into safe mode because it just keep coming up with files
> and then rebooting
>
> i don't know if they had the service packs on them or not because i didnt
> really take notice. Is there a way to find out whther i have the service
> packs or not?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are the machines currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST A
>> QUESTION!!
>>
>> OT Tip: When composing a post or email in Word, only use ENTER to begin a
>> new paragraph. To begin a new line, use Shift+ENTER.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> orange shark wrote:
>>> Hi, this is my first post on here and i don't know whether this is the
>>> right
>>> place to post.
>>>

>>> Basicly I have 2 laptops, an inspiron 6400 and a latitude D620, both
>>> have
>>> come down with a similar error.
>>>

>>> Firstly the latitude: I installed an update via Windows update, the
>>> update
>>> was KB955020, which i have researched to improve the english and german
>>> standard dictionary. The problem is when i rebooted the laptop an error
>>> message appeared after the DELL screen, the error is as follows "Windows
>>> failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
>>> cause."
>>> it then gives me a way to fix it which does not work and after says
>>>
>>> "File: /Windows/system32/drivers/wdf01000.sys

>>> Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing
>>> or
>>> corrupt."
>>>

>>> The inspiron: I installed the same updates but the same error came up
>>> with
>>> different options
>>>
>>> "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be
>>> the
>>> cause" but this time it doesnt tell you whats wrong but gives me an
>>> option
>>> to continue, safe mode, or restore last setting. I tried all of these
>>> and
>>> continuing and restoring last settings do nothing. When i go into safe
>>> mode
>>> it goes through a lot of files and always stops on the same file:
>>> /Windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys, then reboots and it comes up with
>>> the
>>> same error.
>>>

>>> Other information is that both these computers have been upgraded to
>>> Vista
>>> Ultimate,the inspiron had Vista Basic and the latitude had XP
>>> proffesional.
>>>

>>> Any help?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance

orange shark

Re: error messages
This is clearly an error because of the windows update. It is no coinidence
that it has happened to 2 computers in the same household.

i was told to come on here by windows support, and i have clearly listed
what happened so can anyone please give me something to try that i havent
listed

thanks in advance

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If you're running Vista SP1, you qualify for free support about this
> problem.
>
> If you're not, you'll have to obtain support from the computer manufacturer.
>

> orange shark wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i cant boot it up into safe mode because it just keep coming up with files
> > and then rebooting
> >
> > i don't know if they had the service packs on them or not because i didnt
> > really take notice. Is there a way to find out whther i have the service
> > packs or not?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are the machines currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST A
> >> QUESTION!!
> >>
> >> OT Tip: When composing a post or email in Word, only use ENTER to begin a
> >> new paragraph. To begin a new line, use Shift+ENTER.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: error messages
>>> i don't know if they had the service packs on them or not

Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) WINVER | OK

Is Service Pack 1 (SP1) referenced in the results?

If SP1 is not listed:

=> Inspiron: Contact Dell Support;

=> Latitude: Did you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor before you upgrade to
Vista Ultimate and did it pass with flying colors?

If SP1 is listed, both machines qualify for free SP1 support:

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Or you could just leave well enough alone and "hide" the update.

Good luck!
--
~PA Bear

orange shark wrote:
> This is clearly an error because of the windows update. It is no
> coinidence
> that it has happened to 2 computers in the same household.
>
> i was told to come on here by windows support, and i have clearly listed
> what happened so can anyone please give me something to try that i havent
> listed
>
> thanks in advance
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> If you're running Vista SP1, you qualify for free suppotrt about this
>> problem.
>>
>> If you're not, you'll have to obtain support from the computer
>> manufacturer.
>>
>> orange shark wrote:
>>> i cant boot it up into safe mode because it just keep coming up with
>>> files
>>> and then rebooting
>>>
>>> i don't know if they had the service packs on them or not because i
>>> didnt
>>> really take notice. Is there a way to find out whther i have the service
>>> packs or not?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance

orange shark

Re: error messages
hi,

the problem is i cant get on the computer, on the inspiron it stops on the
windows loading screen and it wont go any further and on the latitude it is
stuck on the error message so it is impossible to get onto the things you
told me to because windows will not load. Any other advise?

Thanks for all your help so far

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) WINVER | OK
>
> Is Service Pack 1 (SP1) referenced in the results?
>
> If SP1 is not listed:
>
> => Inspiron: Contact Dell Support;
>
> => Latitude: Did you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor before you upgrade to
> Vista Ultimate and did it pass with flying colors?
>
> If SP1 is listed, both machines qualify for free SP1 support:
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>
> Or you could just leave well enough alone and "hide" the update.
>
> Good luck!
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> orange shark wrote:
> > This is clearly an error because of the windows update. It is no
> > coinidence
> > that it has happened to 2 computers in the same household.
> >
> > i was told to come on here by windows support, and i have clearly listed
> > what happened so can anyone please give me something to try that i havent
> > listed
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> If you're running Vista SP1, you qualify for free suppotrt about this
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> If you're not, you'll have to obtain support from the computer
> >> manufacturer.

orange shark

Re: error messages
even if these computers are not runing SP1, why should i go back to the
manufacturer when i bought both versions of the upgrade from microsoft in the
first place?