System boot fail after auto update

MysticPete

System boot fail after auto update
Enough's enough

I have battled for nearly a year to get a stable Vista Premium setup working
with my HTPC and this is the straw that breaks the camels back!

Saw that there were updates to load against the power icon and so commenced
a shut down which triggers the update, didn't get the chance to see what it
was and there was only one, after a restart got as far as the Microsoft
Corporation logo and then the disk drive stopped, have now tried recovery but
cannot now load the drivers for the disk as requested by Vista, this OS has
basically shafted the system and no amount of attempts to restart or recover
have worked.

This has got to be the WORST piece of commercial OS ever produced, I am
hunting for XP media edition now.

I really think MS should offer a full refund to any user who has had enough
of this rip off software.

Shenan Stanley

Re: System boot fail after auto update
MysticPete wrote:
> Enough's enough
>
> I have battled for nearly a year to get a stable Vista Premium
> setup working with my HTPC and this is the straw that breaks the
> camels back!
>
> Saw that there were updates to load against the power icon and so
> commenced a shut down which triggers the update, didn't get the
> chance to see what it was and there was only one, after a restart
> got as far as the Microsoft Corporation logo and then the disk
> drive stopped, have now tried recovery but cannot now load the
> drivers for the disk as requested by Vista, this OS has basically
> shafted the system and no amount of attempts to restart or recover
> have worked.
>
> This has got to be the WORST piece of commercial OS ever produced,
> I am hunting for XP media edition now.
>
> I really think MS should offer a full refund to any user who has
> had enough of this rip off software.

Good luck...

Does it fail to boot into Safe Mode as well?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx

How about "Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)"?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MysticPete

Re: System boot fail after auto update
Hey Shenan

Thanks for the tip, had tried every option on the Safe Mode menu with no
luck, looking at the drivers loaded the last one is STORPORT.SYS then there
is HD activity for about 10 seconds to when the KB lights flash then the
start-up dies and you hear the HD park..!

Do you think it's trying to tell me that it's had enough of trying to use
Vista 32 bit as a genuine OS?!

FYI here's the CPU-Z for the system

CPU-Z 1.45 report file

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Code Name Windsor
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Package Socket AM2 (940)
Family/Model/Stepping F.3.3
Extended Family/Model F.43
Brand ID 4
Core Stepping JH-F3
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2800.0 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 14.0 x 200.0 MHz
HT Link speed 800.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instruction sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte
line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative,
64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte
line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge ATI RS690/RS690M rev. 00
Southbridge ATI SB600 rev. 00
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (CPU/7)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

System

System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Name System Product Name
System S/N System Serial Number
Mainboard Vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mainboard Model M2A-VM HDMI
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version ASUS M2A-VM HDMI ACPI BIOS Revision 1705
BIOS Date 03/28/2008

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, G.Skill
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, G.Skill

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Premium Edition Service
Pack 1 (Build 6001)
DirectX Version 10.0