Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?

DJ

Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
files.

Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.

I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
no avail.

I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
solve the issue.

Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has been
suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem to
suddenly occur.
TaurArian

RE: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Why don't you look at the last few security bulletins -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/summary.mspx

See if you can pin point which update may have caused your problem.

--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"DJ" wrote:

> I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
> External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
> worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
> laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
> files.
>
> Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
> log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
>
> I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
> and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
> have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
> re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
> no avail.
>
> I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
> could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
> solve the issue.
>
> Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has been
> suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem to
> suddenly occur.

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Open Add/Remove Programs | Make sure SHOW UPDATES is checked | Scroll down
towards the bottom and tell us the most recent five (5) updates that were
installed ["Security Update for Windows XP (KB999999)"] and the date of each
installation.

What Symantec/Norton application & version is installed (e.g., Norton
AntiVirus 2008)?

Are you using the WIndows Firewall or a third-party firewall (e.g., Norton;
ZoneAlarm)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DJ wrote:
> I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS
> Wireless
> External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
> worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
> laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and
> its
> files.
>
> Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
> log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
>
> I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
> and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access
> problems.
> I have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
> re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware
> no avail.
>
> I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt
> could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
> solve the issue.
>
> Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has
> been
> suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem
> suddenly occur.

DJ

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Thanks for helping...

1• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376) MS08-030: Vulnerability in
Bluetooth stack could allow remote code execution ... installed June 12, 2008

2• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698) MS08-033: Vulnerabilities in
DirectX could allow remote code execution ... installed June 12, 2008

3• Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762) MS08-036: Vulnerabilities in
Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) could allow denial of service ... installed
June 12, 2008

4• Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760) MS08-032: Critical security
update of ActiveX kill bits ... installed June 12, 2008

5• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2) MS08-030: Vulnerability in
Bluetooth stack could allow remote code execution ... installed June 22,
2008(if this Update is removed, AVG Free 8.0 antivirus and
LiveUpdate[Symantec/Norton] may not run properly)

• Norton AntiVirus 2008, version 15.5.0.23
• I am not currently using Windows Firewall
• I temporarily disabled Norton AntiVirus, including Internet Worm
Protection and Spyware Protection while trying to find the network and its
files on the LinkStation Wireless Hard Drive, and experienced no positive
results

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Open Add/Remove Programs | Make sure SHOW UPDATES is checked | Scroll down
> towards the bottom and tell us the most recent five (5) updates that were
> installed ["Security Update for Windows XP (KB999999)"] and the date of each
> installation.
>
> What Symantec/Norton application & version is installed (e.g., Norton
> AntiVirus 2008)?
>
> Are you using the WIndows Firewall or a third-party firewall (e.g., Norton;
> ZoneAlarm)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> DJ wrote:
> > I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS
> > Wireless
> > External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
> > worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
> > laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and
> > its
> > files.
> >
> > Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
> > log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
> >
> > I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
> > and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access
> > problems.
> > I have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
> > re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware
> > no avail.
> >
> > I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt
> > could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
> > solve the issue.
> >
> > Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has
> > been
> > suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem
> > suddenly occur.

DJ

RE: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Thanks, but the bulletins all indicate that they affect MS Windows OS and IE,
and this does not help me pinpoint how any of these could have affected my
storage drive.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Why don't you look at the last few security bulletins -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/summary.mspx
>
> See if you can pin point which update may have caused your problem.
>

> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "DJ" wrote:
>
> > I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
> > External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
> > worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
> > laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
> > files.
> >
> > Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
> > log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
> >
> > I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
> > and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
> > have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
> > re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
> > no avail.
> >
> > I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
> > could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
> > solve the issue.
> >
> > Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has been
> > suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem to
> > suddenly occur.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
* If * the external drive uses PGM to communicate then number 3 is the
culprit. I'm surprised that none of the techs suggested removing
KB950762 if that's the case.
Since it is difficult to determine the specific date that the
communication issue started to occur due to non-use of the external HD,
suggest you check in the System Event log to see if any errors
associated with it are present.

You can uninstall the first listing of KB951376 if it's listed
separately from KB951376-v2. The first Version of KB951376 did not
resolve the vulnerability it was supposed to address.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

DJ wrote:

> [...]
>>>and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access
>>>problems.
>>>I have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
>>>re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware
>>>no avail.
>>>
>>>I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt
>>>could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
>>>solve the issue.
>>>
>>>Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has
>>>been
>>>suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this problem
>>>suddenly occur.

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
> • Norton AntiVirus 2008, version 15.5.0.23
> • I am not currently using Windows Firewall

The "Internet Worm Protection" component of Norton AntiVirus (NAV) is *not*
a firewall. Even if you connect via a router, you should *not* connect to
the internet without having a firewall enabled. Please enable the Windows
Firewall ASAP!

Back to the matter at hand...

You have none of the July-08 security updates installed. This is not a good
sign.

=> Open Control Panel | Automatic Updates: Please make certain that
Automatic Updates is enabled (turned on).

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

=> Can you successfully access and use Windows Update website
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to install the missing updates?

NB: Please do a CUSTOM scan at Windows Update (if possible), but do
*not* install WinXP SP3 or IE7 (if not currently installed) at this
juncture!

=> Did you upgrade to NAV 2008 from an earlier version of a Norton
application (e.g., NAV 2006)?
--
~PA Bear

DJ wrote:
> [...]
>>> can
>>> log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
>>>
>>> I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as
>>> Symantec/Norton
>>> and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access
>>> problems.
>>> I have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
>>> re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware
>>> no avail.
>>>
>>> I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I
>>> doubt
>>> could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
>>> solve the issue.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? It has
>>> been
>>> suggested that one or more Windows Updates could have caused this

DJ

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Thanks, I can remove KB951376... it says that some of these programs might
not run properly as a result:

• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951376-v2)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951698)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951748)
• LiveUpdate (Symantec/Norton)

Will that be a problem?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> * If * the external drive uses PGM to communicate then number 3 is the
> culprit. I'm surprised that none of the techs suggested removing
> KB950762 if that's the case.
> Since it is difficult to determine the specific date that the
> communication issue started to occur due to non-use of the external HD,
> suggest you check in the System Event log to see if any errors
> associated with it are present.
>
> You can uninstall the first listing of KB951376 if it's listed
> separately from KB951376-v2. The first Version of KB951376 did not
> resolve the vulnerability it was supposed to address.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> DJ wrote:
>
> > Thanks for helping...
> >
> > 1• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376) MS08-030: Vulnerability in
> > Bluetooth stack could allow remote code execution ... installed June 12, 2008
> >
> > 2• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698) MS08-033: Vulnerabilities in
> > DirectX could allow remote code execution ... installed June 12, 2008
> >
> > 3• Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762) MS08-036: Vulnerabilities in
> > Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM) could allow denial of service ... installed
> > June 12, 2008
> >
> > 4• Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760) MS08-032: Critical security
> > update of ActiveX kill bits ... installed June 12, 2008
> >
> > 5• Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2) MS08-030: Vulnerability in
> > Bluetooth stack could allow remote code execution ... installed June 22,
> > 2008(if this Update is removed, AVG Free 8.0 antivirus and
> > LiveUpdate[Symantec/Norton] may not run properly)
> >
> > • Norton AntiVirus 2008, version 15.5.0.23
> > • I am not currently using Windows Firewall
> > • I temporarily disabled Norton AntiVirus, including Internet Worm
> > Protection and Spyware Protection while trying to find the network and its
> > files on the LinkStation Wireless Hard Drive, and experienced no positive
> > results
> >
> > __________________________________________________ _______
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Open Add/Remove Programs | Make sure SHOW UPDATES is checked | Scroll down
> >>towards the bottom and tell us the most recent five (5) updates that were
> >>installed ["Security Update for Windows XP (KB999999)"] and the date of each
> >>installation.
> >>
> >>What Symantec/Norton application & version is installed (e.g., Norton
> >>AntiVirus 2008)?
> >>
> >>Are you using the WIndows Firewall or a third-party firewall (e.g., Norton;
> >>ZoneAlarm)?
> >>--
> >>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> >>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DJ

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
I turned Windows Firewall back on.

I went to the Windows Updates site to review my update history, and the
Malicious Software Removal Tool July 2008 (KB890830) and Security Update for
Windows XP (KB951748) was listed there as successfully downloaded on July 9
2008, even though it wasn't listed in the Add/Remove Programs area. Why
aren't these 2 updates listed in my Add/Remove Programs?

I ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool. I'm not sure where to access
the Custom Scan on Microsoft's website. Are you referring to Windows
Defender scanning for spyware? Otherwise, I couldn't find a custom scan
application.

And I did a Norton upgrade recently... whether it was NAV 2006 or NAV 2007 I
don't remember.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > • Norton AntiVirus 2008, version 15.5.0.23
> > • I am not currently using Windows Firewall
> > • I temporarily disabled Norton AntiVirus, including Internet Worm
> > Protection and Spyware Protection while trying to find the network and its
> > files on the LinkStation Wireless Hard Drive, and experienced no positive
> > results
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Open Add/Remove Programs | Make sure SHOW UPDATES is checked | Scroll
> >> down
> >> towards the bottom and tell us the most recent five (5) updates that were
> >> installed ["Security Update for Windows XP (KB999999)"] and the date of
> >> each installation.
> >>
> >> What Symantec/Norton application & version is installed (e.g., Norton
> >> AntiVirus 2008)?
> >>
> >> Are you using the WIndows Firewall or a third-party firewall (e.g.,

DJ

Re: Wireless Hard Drive Affected by a Windows Update?
Also, the Windows Add/Remove utility warning says removing KB950762 can make
these programs not run properly:

• Adobe Flash Player Plugin
• AVG Free 8.0
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951376-v2)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951698)
• Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB951748)
• LiveUpdate (Symantec/Norton)

Is that a big deal - if I remove KB950762? Is it easy enough to reload
those things? Or is that just usually an idle, worst-case scenario warning?