You forgot to mention the operating system you're using.
I'm assuming Windows XP, at least SP2 -
You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
"0x80248011 error code
Before you resolve this problem, clear the Microsoft Internet Explorer
cache. To do this, following these steps:
1. On the Internet Explorer Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. On the General tab, click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet Files
3. Click OK, and then click OK again.
To resolve this error, recreate the database that stores Windows Update
information or Microsoft Update information on your computer. To do this,
follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run type cmd in the Open box, and
then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
cd /d c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
Where c:\Windows is the folder where Windows is installed.
4. At the command prompt, type the following command including the quotes,
and then press ENTER: rd /S /Q DataStore
5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv.
6. Exit the command prompt window. "
IMHO - reboot.
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> I don't use my laptop much and have been trying to install MS Office 2007. I
> get a notice I don't have current updates. When I try to use MS Update, I
> keep getting [Error number: 0x80248011].