MS update KB951748 and ZoneAlarm --- PROBLEM - Part 2?

uncalledfor

MS update KB951748 and ZoneAlarm --- PROBLEM - Part 2?
Ok - I've been through the entire original issue....and I updated Zone Alarm,
etc...ZoneAlarm is not the problem at this point....but I have another
problem which may be caused by the MS update??? Running: 2 PCs and a
Laptop....Roadrunner cable modem which plugs into a Linksys WIRED
switch(EZXS88W)....never had problems with this set-up before....now I can
only get one PC to acquire an IP address through the Switch....and can only
get the other PC and Laptop to work if I plug directly to the cable modem
(they successfully acquire a unique IP address)....so, if I plug everything
into the switch, and the switch into the modem only the one PC works -
everything else attempts to acquire an IP address, but eventually defaults to
the 169.254xxx address...basically, the switch seems to be letting only one
machine acquire an IP....PS - I went out and bought the switch yesterday
HOPING my "old" d-link switch was just bad...so I have tried swapping
switches (so to speak)....has anyone else seen this?...all machines running
XP...only PCs running ZoneAlarm....thoughts?
Shenan Stanley

Re: MS update KB951748 and ZoneAlarm --- PROBLEM - Part 2?
uncalledfor wrote:
> Ok - I've been through the entire original issue....and I updated
> Zone Alarm, etc...ZoneAlarm is not the problem at this point....but
> I have another problem which may be caused by the MS update???
> Running: 2 PCs and a Laptop....Roadrunner cable modem which plugs
> into a Linksys WIRED switch(EZXS88W)....never had problems with
> this set-up before....now I can only get one PC to acquire an IP
> address through the Switch....and can only get the other PC and
> Laptop to work if I plug directly to the cable modem (they
> successfully acquire a unique IP address)....so, if I plug
> everything into the switch, and the switch into the modem only the
> one PC works - everything else attempts to acquire an IP address,
> but eventually defaults to the 169.254xxx address...basically, the
> switch seems to be letting only one machine acquire an IP....PS - I
> went out and bought the switch yesterday HOPING my "old" d-link
> switch was just bad...so I have tried swapping switches (so to
> speak)....has anyone else seen this?...all machines running
> XP...only PCs running ZoneAlarm....thoughts?

Contact your ISP to confirm they are still allowing you to obtain two unique
external IPs.

Many ISPs will only allow one external IP per cable modem without charging
you for more - this is one reason why Cable/DSL home routers (Linksys,
Netgear, Dlink, etc) are so popular/abundant.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kayman

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:49:00 -0700, uncalledfor wrote:

> Ok - I've been through the entire original issue....and I updated Zone Alarm,
> etc...ZoneAlarm is not the problem at this point....but I have another
> problem which may be caused by the MS update??? Running: 2 PCs and a
> Laptop....Roadrunner cable modem which plugs into a Linksys WIRED
> switch(EZXS88W)....never had problems with this set-up before....now I can
> only get one PC to acquire an IP address through the Switch....and can only
> get the other PC and Laptop to work if I plug directly to the cable modem
> (they successfully acquire a unique IP address)....so, if I plug everything
> into the switch, and the switch into the modem only the one PC works -
> everything else attempts to acquire an IP address, but eventually defaults to
> the 169.254xxx address...basically, the switch seems to be letting only one
> machine acquire an IP....PS - I went out and bought the switch yesterday
> HOPING my "old" d-link switch was just bad...so I have tried swapping
> switches (so to speak)....has anyone else seen this?...all machines running
> XP...only PCs running ZoneAlarm....thoughts?

Seriously, uninstall ZA and re-activate the build-in application!
http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/uninstall.html

The windows firewall deals with inbound protection and therefore does not
give you a false sense of security. Best of all, it doesn't implement lots
of nonsense like pretending that outbound traffic needs to be monitored.

Activate and utilize the Win XP built-in Firewall; Uncheck *all* Programs
and Services under the Exception tab.
Read through:

Understanding Windows Firewall.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2_wfintro.mspx

Using Windows Firewall.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...nfirewall.mspx

How to Configure Windows Firewall on a Single Computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../cfgfwall.mspx

At Least This Snake Oil Is Free.
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...l-is-free.aspx

Deconstructing Common Security Myths.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...s/default.aspx
Scroll down to:
"Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe."

Exploring the windows Firewall.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...l/default.aspx
"Outbound protection is security theater¡Xit¡¦s a gimmick that only gives the
impression of improving your security without doing anything that actually
does improve your security."

Re: MS update KB951748 and ZoneAlarm --- PROBLEM - Part 2?
If you disable or uninstall ZA and then enable the Windows Firewall, does
this behavior persist?

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/