win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys bog

Bulldog TWB

win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys bog
I have gone over all the posts regarding the new updates and have not read
any that fit my problem(s)...

I ve figured out and seen the ZA issue...

but my system as a whole has boggedown... it is running like a 286... (EX:
slower then explitive)...

I know I have installed the updates... windows update pages shows I have
them installed... yet when I go to my add/remove programs with show updates
box (checked) the updates in question do not show...

regrettably, my backrack files only go back 2 days.. since it took me a
while to figue out that one of the updates interacted with ZA.. I am beyond
the 2 day back track to remove the updates...

has anyone else seen system slow down since the update?

for added info..

I ve run my virus programs and spyware programs to ensure I did not in some
way pick up somthing...(this was after installing the updates and trying to
understand the slow down as well as the loss of internet)

as far as the boggdown goes... as a furher example:...while typing this post
up I was typing faster then the system could show it... to the point where
some key strokes were not registering and thus words were not being fully
spelled... I have had go back and insert letters that I know I tyed but did
not registered to the system for posting here (rolls eyes what a pain)....
--
Matt
Shenan Stanley

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys bog
Bulldog TWB wrote:
> I have gone over all the posts regarding the new updates and have
> not read any that fit my problem(s)...
>
> I ve figured out and seen the ZA issue...
>
> but my system as a whole has boggedown... it is running like a
> 286... (EX: slower then explitive)...
>
> I know I have installed the updates... windows update pages shows I
> have them installed... yet when I go to my add/remove programs
> with show updates box (checked) the updates in question do not
> show...
>
> regrettably, my backrack files only go back 2 days.. since it took
> me a while to figue out that one of the updates interacted with
> ZA.. I am beyond the 2 day back track to remove the updates...
>
> has anyone else seen system slow down since the update?
>
> for added info..
>
> I ve run my virus programs and spyware programs to ensure I did not
> in some way pick up somthing...(this was after installing the
> updates and trying to understand the slow down as well as the loss
> of internet)
>
> as far as the boggdown goes... as a furher example:...while typing
> this post up I was typing faster then the system could show it...
> to the point where some key strokes were not registering and thus
> words were not being fully spelled... I have had go back and
> insert letters that I know I tyed but did not registered to the
> system for posting here (rolls eyes what a pain)....

Control Panel --> Add or Remove programs in Safe Mode as the built in
administrator?

System Restore?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys bog
Windows version is...?

===========================

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bulldog TWB wrote:
> I have gone over all the posts regarding the new updates and have not read
> any that fit my problem(s)...
>
> I ve figured out and seen the ZA issue...
>
> but my system as a whole has boggedown... it is running like a 286...
> (EX:
> slower then explitive)...
>
> I know I have installed the updates... windows update pages shows I have
> them installed... yet when I go to my add/remove programs with show
> updates
> box (checked) the updates in question do not show...
>
> regrettably, my backrack files only go back 2 days.. since it took me a
> while to figue out that one of the updates interacted with ZA.. I am
> beyond
> the 2 day back track to remove the updates...
>
> has anyone else seen system slow down since the update?
>
> for added info..
>
> I ve run my virus programs and spyware programs to ensure I did not in
> some
> way pick up somthing...(this was after installing the updates and trying
> understand the slow down as well as the loss of internet)
>
> as far as the boggdown goes... as a furher example:...while typing this
> post
> up I was typing faster then the system could show it... to the point where
> some key strokes were not registering and thus words were not being fully
> spelled... I have had go back and insert letters that I know I tyed but
> did
> not registered to the system for posting here (rolls eyes what a pain)....

Bulldog TWB

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
Bear, Shenan,

Thanks for the replies... because I have not had a lot of problems over the
years (almost 20, and almost 8 with XP) I forgot about the MS version of
backtrack... this seems to have helped greatly....

I took the system to just before the updates were installed...

The system seems to be almost 100% back to normal... I had to do some
tweaking...

(Bear) sorry about the confusion I thought (my lack of thought here) by
including the XP SP3 n the subject line would indicate XP.. BTW it is XP Pro
I am running...

I am currently running ZA (well not yet, I have uninstalled it for the
tweaking of the system) Spy bot, Adware Dr, Norton's SW, and NAV, NIS (all
were updated and ran because of this issue...) that is why it took me a few
days to get here, read and post... As an added note I think I found a
portion of the cause... all of it seems to be due to ZA.

ZA appeared to be in a loop to load up at start up... but would not load,
thus, looping... this loop would slow the system down...

I will be reinstalling the updates but one at a time, and then I will
re-install ZA... I will be observing the results of each install and reboot...

the only latent effect I am still seeing is the typing issue still... here
in the browser for posting...

Ill keep you posted.

Thanks again..

Matt

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
Your running Norton System Works, Norton AntiVirus, *and* Norton Internet
Security? No wonder the machine is "bogged down." I'm surprised it even
starts!

What is "Adware Dr [Doctor?]"? If it's "Doctor Adware", see its listing
here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Bulldog TWB wrote:
> Bear, Shenan,
>
> Thanks for the replies... because I have not had a lot of problems over
> the
> years (almost 20, and almost 8 with XP) I forgot about the MS version of
> backtrack... this seems to have helped greatly....
>
> I took the system to just before the updates were installed...
>
> The system seems to be almost 100% back to normal... I had to do some
> tweaking...
>
> (Bear) sorry about the confusion I thought (my lack of thought here) by
> including the XP SP3 n the subject line would indicate XP.. BTW it is XP
> Pro
> I am running...
>
> I am currently running ZA (well not yet, I have uninstalled it for the
> tweaking of the system) Spy bot, Adware Dr, Norton's SW, and NAV, NIS (all
> were updated and ran because of this issue...) that is why it took me a
> few
> days to get here, read and post... As an added note I think I found a
> portion of the cause... all of it seems to be due to ZA.
>
> ZA appeared to be in a loop to load up at start up... but would not load,
> thus, looping... this loop would slow the system down...
>
> I will be reinstalling the updates but one at a time, and then I will
> re-install ZA... I will be observing the results of each install and
> reboot...
>
> the only latent effect I am still seeing is the typing issue still... here
> in the browser for posting...
>
> Ill keep you posted.
>
> Thanks again..
>
> Matt

Bulldog TWB

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
ROFL.... yes the system starts... as you can see I am a bit anal about
protecting my systems (but when you have kids and wife on the comps who
sometimes refuse to scan files etc... better safe then sorry)... I am sorry
I meant to say spyware doctor... which is on the list of good programs from
the link you provided.

other then the boot time being slowed down (I let them all run and do their
thing.. once done I then use the system.. it takes about 5-10 minutes)
because of NSW,NAV,NIS,spy bot, SWDr. and ZA... the system and programs etc..
themselves run fine after boot up 8-) ...

however, since this last batch of upates is where the problem started...
(I'm still seeing a slow down) on MSIE, and pages loading... and a IMHO bit
of prograqm load times...

(I have looked at your hijackthis... spy bot has a similar function... I
have looked the file(s) over and I do not see anythng I do not know... not to
mention that all my scans have come up negative...)

I have not decided what I will do at this time... Because my main HD holds
Windows and basic install info I may just format the HD and do a clean
install... It will take me almost the same if not less time then searchig for
the issue.

all of my other programs and files are always installed to a second drive...
I have also scanned the 2nd drive....

what I will add to this is that the other systems do not run XP Pro but XP
home ed... the updates only seem to have interacted with the connection to
the network and internet via ZA... I have not installed the ZA update on
these systems but disabled ZA... (I also did not run the backtrack on them as
well and this too may have been a cause to the slow down issue) they run
fine...
--
Matt

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your running Norton System Works, Norton AntiVirus, *and* Norton Internet
> Security? No wonder the machine is "bogged down." I'm surprised it even
> starts!
>
> What is "Adware Dr [Doctor?]"? If it's "Doctor Adware", see its listing
> here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Bulldog TWB wrote:
> > Bear, Shenan,
> >
> > Thanks for the replies... because I have not had a lot of problems over
> > the
> > years (almost 20, and almost 8 with XP) I forgot about the MS version of
> > backtrack... this seems to have helped greatly....
> >
> > I took the system to just before the updates were installed...
> >
> > The system seems to be almost 100% back to normal... I had to do some
> > tweaking...
> >
> > (Bear) sorry about the confusion I thought (my lack of thought here) by
> > including the XP SP3 n the subject line would indicate XP.. BTW it is XP
> > Pro
> > I am running...
> >
> > I am currently running ZA (well not yet, I have uninstalled it for the
> > tweaking of the system) Spy bot, Adware Dr, Norton's SW, and NAV, NIS (all
> > were updated and ran because of this issue...) that is why it took me a
> > few
> > days to get here, read and post... As an added note I think I found a
> > portion of the cause... all of it seems to be due to ZA.
> >
> > ZA appeared to be in a loop to load up at start up... but would not load,
> > thus, looping... this loop would slow the system down...
> >
> > I will be reinstalling the updates but one at a time, and then I will
> > re-install ZA... I will be observing the results of each install and
> > reboot...
> >
> > the only latent effect I am still seeing is the typing issue still... here
> > in the browser for posting...
> >
> > Ill keep you posted.
> >
> > Thanks again..
> >
> > Matt

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
Your multiple AV apps and firewalls afford you less protection, not more.
Repeat this mantra after me: One (only) fireall and one (only) anti-virus
app loading at boot and running in the backgrounf at any given time.

My recommendations are as follows:

1. If SpyBot Tea Timer is enabled, disable it. See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409

NB: If you don't fully understand what Tea Timer does and how it does it,
leave it permanently disabled.

2a. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key for NAV and/or
NIS, uninstall all Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Add/Remove
Programs & reboot.

2b. Uninstall ZA & reboot again.

3. Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 thru #6 below until your
anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!

4. Download & run this removal tool:

5. Reboot and run Disk Cleanup.

6a. /Immediately/ install Avira AntiVir (free): http://www.free-av.com/

6b. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
scan, prefarably in Safe Mode, then reboot one last time.

Do your problems persist now?

Bulldog TWB wrote:
> [...]
>>> I am running...
>>>
>>> I am currently running ZA (well not yet, I have uninstalled it for the
>>> tweaking of the system) Spy bot, Adware Dr, Norton's SW, and NAV, NIS
>>> (all
>>> were updated and ran because of this issue...) that is why it took me a
>>> few
>>> days to get here, read and post... As an added note I think I found a
>>> portion of the cause... all of it seems to be due to ZA.
>>>
>>> ZA appeared to be in a loop to load up at start up... but would not
>>> load,
>>> thus, looping... this loop would slow the system down...
>>>
>>> I will be reinstalling the updates but one at a time, and then I will
>>> re-install ZA... I will be observing the results of each install and
>>> reboot...
>>>
>>> the only latent effect I am still seeing is the typing issue still...

Bulldog TWB

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
Bear,

I have not done what you have suggested yet... I did want to add more info
and update...

The NAV is a part of NSW... and it is a part of NIS.. what I would do is
stager my purchases so that the NAV would be a part of the purchase vs. just
renewing my sub...

so for example I would buy NSW in 2006... in 2007 the NAV sub would expire
or be due to expire. As such in 2007 I woud get NIS.... this would give me
the NIS and access to the new sub to virus defs... then like now I am due on
my subscription... I could renew for say 49.99 or for 10.00 more get NSW
2008...(thought I am investigating norton 360)

during boot up I do not have Spy bot running but I do have spyware Dr.... I
do have Tea time load... I do understand what it does... and that is why I
like it...

lastley I (did) have ZA load up...(but that is uninstalled now)

I have scrubed a few files and temp files... I have seen vast improvment
almost to normal speed as far as normal programs go..

my current issue (and I am trying to find the logs now) web pages are

becasue I used MS sys restore. to prior to july 9th (and the updates)... I
would assume that the updates would be considered not installed...

I go to the update page to go in and select one at a time... when windows
update is done scanning my system it shows all of my updates as being
installed...

(as a side note) I do not have the system set up to install updates.. I have
it set up to just down load and let me install...

As for web pages (I dont know if this would be a cuase or not)... in C
prompt the day this all started I flushed the DNS..

ipconfig /flushdns
then I registered

ipconfig /registerdns

As I type this I just did it again and I also ran ipconfig/all
I can not state this a fact but I do not recall it saying (the last time I
checked)
IP Routing Enabled..... No (I think last time it was yes)
WINS Proxy Enabled.... No (I want to say last time this to was yes)

but now they are reading no...

--
Matt

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > home ed... the updates only seem to have interacted with the connection to
> > the network and internet via ZA... I have not installed the ZA update on
> > these systems but disabled ZA... (I also did not run the backtrack on them
> > as well and this too may have been a cause to the slow down issue) they
> > run
> > fine...
> >
> >> Your running Norton System Works, Norton AntiVirus, *and* Norton Internet
> >> Security? No wonder the machine is "bogged down." I'm surprised it even
> >> starts!
> >>
> >> What is "Adware Dr [Doctor?]"? If it's "Doctor Adware", see its listing
> >> here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
You're putting a big team of horses before the cart. Please do Steps #1
through #6 first and tell me if your problems persist, Bulldog. If they do
not, we'll move on to everything you've posted in your last reply.
--
~PA Bear

Bulldog TWB wrote:
> [...]
>>> holds
>>> Windows and basic install info I may just format the HD and do a clean
>>> install... It will take me almost the same if not less time then
>>> searchig
>>> for the issue.
>>>
>>> all of my other programs and files are always installed to a second
>>> drive...
>>> I have also scanned the 2nd drive....
>>>
>>> what I will add to this is that the other systems do not run XP Pro but
>>> XP
>>> home ed... the updates only seem to have interacted with the connection
>>> the network and internet via ZA... I have not installed the ZA update on
>>> these systems but disabled ZA... (I also did not run the backtrack on
>>> them
>>> as well and this too may have been a cause to the slow down issue) they

Bulldog TWB

Re: win GAV,XP SP3,KB951784,KB951978,KB15597, updatesJuly 9th, sys
Bear,

I have gone through the steps you had suggest... thus the time it took to
reply now...

I have seen improvement but am still seeing a few issues and a few new...

The avira program found 2 instances if heur/html.malware on my wifes side of
the log on (docs../wifes name/local/temp (or temp internet files)... I had
quarantind the files and then deleted them...

so I do see less lagg on loading web page etc... (FF's speed is back to what
it was MS IE is still slow in most casses) but here is the twist...

for example the reply (java script here...) took several times of clicking
for the script to respond... Also now I find on both MS IE and FF If I mouse
over a JPG link (or almost any other link) and click on it, there is no
responce... so I remove the mouse and then place it back over the JPG link
(or regular link) and it will now respond... Or for example if I want to
click the web page back button the first time it will not respond (EX: you do
not the page load indicated on the browser)... If I move the mouse off and
then back over the btton and click it the page loa will activate and the
prior page will load... this is also seen on both MSIE and FF...

as an added note I feel so Naked without my NSW, NAV,NIS spy bot, spayware
dr. and ZA.

--
Matt