Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update

William

Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update
I have recently use the web update for SP3 and soon after I can not start
Windows XP normally, but the safe mode still works. Please help!

Re: Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update
See
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
(WinXP SP3)."]

Some other possible workarounds:

• Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.

• HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...&lc=en&cc= us
• Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors:
Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take you
to this download page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

LOOK! => Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

William wrote:
> I have recently use the web update for SP3 and soon after I can not start
> Windows XP normally, but the safe mode still works. Please help!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update
Boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt -

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Once in SMw/CP, enter the below *exactly* as written and then press Enter

sc config intelppm start= disabled

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and the system will reboot to normal Windows mode.

This is why the issue occurred:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

William wrote:
> I have recently use the web update for SP3 and soon after I can not start
> Windows XP normally, but the safe mode still works. Please help!

MeanGene236

RE: Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update
William I also had that problem but I'm running Intel Pent 4 processers. All
the fixes I've seen are for AMD processors. I ended up having to remove the
update in order to run my system. Does any one have an answer for this
problem. I understand it's common for HP computers but my system says Intel
inside!
Help anyone?
Thanks

"William" wrote:

> I have recently use the web update for SP3 and soon after I can not start
> Windows XP normally, but the safe mode still works. Please help!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Can not start Windows XP normally after SP3 update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

> * Free * unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for
> Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about
> this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only in the
> United States and Canada.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY