Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)

Keith Dorken

Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
I have been unable to install this last remaining update on my system (Vista
Business X64, with SP1 and SQL Server file version 2005.90.3233.0)

It terminates with the error code 2BC9

There is no available help I can find wrt to this error code and/or this
update.

Anyone have some insight?
Chris Wood

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
Keith,

If you are on SQL2005 build 3239 then this patch is for a lowed build and is
already included in your build. Better question is why is this being offered
to you?

If you are running SQL Server then automatic updates is not a GOOD THING.

Chris

"Keith Dorken" <kadorken@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I have been unable to install this last remaining update on my system
>(Vista
> Business X64, with SP1 and SQL Server file version 2005.90.3233.0)
>
> It terminates with the error code 2BC9
>
> There is no available help I can find wrt to this error code and/or this
> update.
>
> Anyone have some insight?

Keith Dorken

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
Automatic updates never run on my system, but this particular update is being
offered consistently when I choose to install updates. From reading what it
fixes, I suspect you are correct and I don't need it given my later build
versions. I'll just hide it and proceed along my merry way.

It is a mystery as to why it thinks it is required however.

Thanks.

"Chris Wood" wrote:

> Keith,
>
> If you are on SQL2005 build 3239 then this patch is for a lowed build and is
> already included in your build. Better question is why is this being offered
> to you?
>
> If you are running SQL Server then automatic updates is not a GOOD THING.
>
> Chris
>
> "Keith Dorken" <kadorken@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I have been unable to install this last remaining update on my system
> >(Vista
> > Business X64, with SP1 and SQL Server file version 2005.90.3233.0)
> >
> > It terminates with the error code 2BC9
> >
> > There is no available help I can find wrt to this error code and/or this
> > update.
> >
> > Anyone have some insight?

Eric Sandberg

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
Hej, I got the same error, when doing a normal Winows/Vista update. How can I
get the build nr for SQL2005? Or can I just forget about this??

Thanks, Eric

"Keith Dorken" wrote:

> Automatic updates never run on my system, but this particular update is being
> offered consistently when I choose to install updates. From reading what it
> fixes, I suspect you are correct and I don't need it given my later build
> versions. I'll just hide it and proceed along my merry way.
>
> It is a mystery as to why it thinks it is required however.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Chris Wood" wrote:
>
> > Keith,
> >
> > If you are on SQL2005 build 3239 then this patch is for a lowed build and is
> > already included in your build. Better question is why is this being offered
> > to you?
> >
> > If you are running SQL Server then automatic updates is not a GOOD THING.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > "Keith Dorken" <kadorken@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > >I have been unable to install this last remaining update on my system
> > >(Vista
> > > Business X64, with SP1 and SQL Server file version 2005.90.3233.0)
> > >
> > > It terminates with the error code 2BC9
> > >
> > > There is no available help I can find wrt to this error code and/or this
> > > update.
> > >
> > > Anyone have some insight?

Eric Sandberg

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
Hej, I got the same error when doing a normal Windows update (1 out of 9).
How can I get the build nr for SQL2005? Or can I just ignore this? I am a
normal user, and is not developing any sw for SQL? Some of my applications DB
might use this of course.

Thanks, Eric

"Keith Dorken" wrote:

> Automatic updates never run on my system, but this particular update is being
> offered consistently when I choose to install updates. From reading what it
> fixes, I suspect you are correct and I don't need it given my later build
> versions. I'll just hide it and proceed along my merry way.
>
> It is a mystery as to why it thinks it is required however.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Chris Wood" wrote:
>
> > Keith,
> >
> > If you are on SQL2005 build 3239 then this patch is for a lowed build and is
> > already included in your build. Better question is why is this being offered
> > to you?
> >
> > If you are running SQL Server then automatic updates is not a GOOD THING.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > "Keith Dorken" <kadorken@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > >I have been unable to install this last remaining update on my system
> > >(Vista
> > > Business X64, with SP1 and SQL Server file version 2005.90.3233.0)
> > >
> > > It terminates with the error code 2BC9
> > >
> > > There is no available help I can find wrt to this error code and/or this
> > > update.
> > >
> > > Anyone have some insight?

Paul Bijhouwer

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
Me too - the Security Update for SQL Server being pushed out today (KB960089)
through Windows Update failed to install with this error code. Looking at
the "known issues" led me down a path meant for thosw running SP2. I am
running SQL Express SP3, so that would appear not to apply. Guess I'm going
to try the "get help" option under that KB article. Not even sure how to try
installing the security patch a second time, since Windows update is not
offering me that option.

"Eric Sandberg" wrote:

> Hej, I got the same error when doing a normal Windows update (1 out of 9).
> How can I get the build nr for SQL2005? Or can I just ignore this? I am a
> normal user, and is not developing any sw for SQL? Some of my applications DB
> might use this of course.
>
> Thanks, Eric
>

> "Keith Dorken" wrote:
>
> > Automatic updates never run on my system, but this particular update is being
> > offered consistently when I choose to install updates. From reading what it
> > fixes, I suspect you are correct and I don't need it given my later build
> > versions. I'll just hide it and proceed along my merry way.
> >
> > It is a mystery as to why it thinks it is required however.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Chris Wood" wrote:
> >
> > > Keith,
> > >
> > > If you are on SQL2005 build 3239 then this patch is for a lowed build and is
> > > already included in your build. Better question is why is this being offered
> > > to you?
> > >
> > > If you are running SQL Server then automatic updates is not a GOOD THING.
> > >
> > > Chris

Marty Rhea

Re: Code 2BC9 - Critical Update for SQL Server ... (KB 934458)
I got the same error message, but was unable to determine which version of
SQL Server 2005 I am running. I went to article 321385, but can't use or find
the SQL Server Management Studio to find which version I have. I am
suspicious that I have a later version, because failing to determine which
version I am running, I downloaded and tried to run
SQLServer2005-KB960089-x86-ENU.exe
but it wouldn't install because it said it was build 3xxx and I already had
build 4xxx. Does that seem like good logic and should I just not worry about
this update that failed because I didn't need it in the first place?