0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2 (KB9481

Andy C

0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2 (KB9481
All updates installed normally except the one for Sql Server 05
error code 0x733F

now i've followed several of the threads already provided concerning this
problem however i now get an error saying "hotfix.exe" has crashed when i try
installing teh update direct from

and the the update still wont install

getting frustrated as i feel i'm bumbling around clicking things and
unclicking things without any idea of what the hell i'm doing

can someone suggest anything for this techno-philistine, please bear in mind
i have no idea what i'm doing

cheers
Andy
TaurArian

Re: 0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2 (KB9481
From MS Support -

Error: 733F-- Services Failed to Start

services. This can happen for several reasons including: expired account password,
invalid user account, user account does not have permission to start the service, or there
is something else wrong with the service.

Resolution: To help you determine which service is failing to start, view the summary.txt
file that is created at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix.
Once you determine which service is failing, do the following:

1.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

3.

4.
Locate the SQL Server service causing the problem and try to manually start the
service.

If the service still does not start, try resetting the password or the user account.
After doing this, restart the service manually

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282254/en-us

If you need additional help, please post your summary.txt file located at
%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix to the SQL Server Setup
MSDN forum at

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Andy C" <Andy C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| All updates installed normally except the one for Sql Server 05
| error code 0x733F
|
| now i've followed several of the threads already provided concerning this
| problem however i now get an error saying "hotfix.exe" has crashed when i try
| installing teh update direct from

| and the the update still wont install
|
| getting frustrated as i feel i'm bumbling around clicking things and
| unclicking things without any idea of what the hell i'm doing
|
| can someone suggest anything for this techno-philistine, please bear in mind
| i have no idea what i'm doing
|
| cheers
| Andy

jlmcfarl@gmail.com

Re: 0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2(KB9481
On Jul 14, 5:29*am, Andy C <Andy C...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> All updates installed normally except the one for Sql Server 05 *
> error code 0x733F
>
> now i've followed several of the threads already provided concerning this
> problem however i now get an error saying "hotfix.exe" has crashed when itry
> installing teh update direct from
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...D=4c9851cc-2c4....
>
> *and the the update still wont install
>
> getting frustrated as i feel i'm bumbling around clicking things and
> unclicking things without any idea of what the hell i'm doing
>
> can someone suggest anything for this techno-philistine, please bear in mind
> i have no idea what i'm doing
>
> cheers
> Andy

I found a solution to installation problems, crashes, errors, programs
running slow in Microsoft XP and VISTA.... switch to Ubuntu Linux,
Redhat Linux, SUSE Linux, Debian or FreeBSD. I highly recommend
linux. I do own a Vista System for the usual jobs that require office
and fully supported multimedia like my IPod, but 90% of my time is
spent on linux. In fact my Dell Linux laptop has be up and running
for about 2 months without a restart (this includes adding modules and
new programs and the usual updates from Ubuntu). I do have one
security update that requires reboot, but I don't worry about security
as much with linux and will eventually get to it. Plus, once you get
used to the highly supported user or dot org supported software you
will be amazed at how little you miss MS products. I don't hate MS,
but they should focus on stability and not cute features and useless
visual effects. I really loved Windows 98, but it is dead and
buried. Hope this helps. Good Day!
jlmcfarl@gmail.com

On Jul 14, 6:07*am, "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVEC...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From MS Support -
>
> Error: 733F-- Services Failed to Start

> services. *This can happen for several reasons including: expired account password,
> invalid user account, user account does not have permission to start the service, or there
> is something else wrong with the service.
>
> *Resolution: To help you determine which service is failing to start, view the summary.txt
> file that is created at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix.
> Once you determine which service is failing, do the following:
>
> * * * 1.
> * * *Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
>
> * * * 2.
> * * *Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
>
> * * * 3.
>
> * * * 4.
> * * *Locate the SQL Server service causing the problem and try to manually start the
> service.
>
> * * * If the service still does not start, try resetting the password or the user account.
> After doing this, restart the service manually
>
> More information:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282254/en-us
>
> *If you need additional help, please post your summary.txt file locatedat
> %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix to the SQL Server Setup
> MSDN forum at
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Serviceshttp://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> How to ask a question:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "Andy C" <Andy C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:B4A3450C-3314-4767-BE85-1361D075FA32@microsoft.com...
> | All updates installed normally except the one for Sql Server 05
> | error code 0x733F
> |
> | now i've followed several of the threads already provided concerning this
> | problem however i now get an error saying "hotfix.exe" has crashed wheni try
> | installing teh update direct from
> |
> |http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...D=4c9851cc-2c4....
> |
> | and the the update still wont install
> |
> | getting frustrated as i feel i'm bumbling around clicking things and
> | unclicking things without any idea of what the hell i'm doing
> |
> | can someone suggest anything for this techno-philistine, please bear inmind
> | i have no idea what i'm doing
> |
> | cheers
> | Andy

Oh, I forgot to add that MySQL is so much cleaner and easier to work
with than and MS Server.
jimmy-bob

Re: 0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2 (KB
uh... where is this?

> Resolution: To help you determine which service is failing to start, view the summary.txt
> file that is created at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix.

Diana

Re: 0x733F error- Security Update for SQL ServerService Pack 2 (KB
Since this is for a consumer issue, please call 1.800.936.5700 and open up a
support case.

There is no charge for this issue.

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team