XP Service pack 3 -> fatal error ->might want to rethink it

IDidInhale

XP Service pack 3 -> fatal error ->might want to rethink it
Had a prob getting online with my laptop after recent XP update (Gave up on
Vista and rolledback to XP). Wireless icon just kept whirling even when I
was connected. connection was erratic. Unexpected disconnects, etc. A
Microsoft tech engineer did the remote desktop thingy (makes me nervous,
since I'd had an invisible hacker before) BUT I got comfortable with process,
thoguht it kind of interesting that it could be done with all remoting
disabled (a little packet program allowed it)
The tech did a bunch of looking around and then installed XP3..
unfortunately the Details of "before you install XP3" info cited some
hotfixes that should be uninstalled BEFORE Xp3 svc pack was installed. Don't
think that step was done. Didn't see it being done. At first, the icon
"connected" all looked fine, and the tech was pleasant and patient, spoke
English ok, we parted company pleasantly, thinking all was well.
BUT as soon as I turned off wireless switch to do a couple of other things,
the connection was dead in the water, could not be reconnected. I rebooted.
Got a blue screen fatal error, application exception could not be handled,
etc.
Went into safe mode, diagnostic boot... NOTHING would take me around it. I'm
NOT a tech and knowledge is very limited past msconfig and ipconfig /renew
and disabling every possible remote pipeline to prevent hackers, etc.(THAT
I've learned)
Finally had to do a complete reinstall. Afterward, I
Did ONLY the custom updates alternatives to XP3 and NOT XP service pack 3 OR
IE7. (too many add ons for my comfort there)
I've had no problems. All appears to be well (knock on wood...)

A word of caution to all HP laptoppers:

For what it's worth. Each system has its quirks, HP more than most, methinks.
Sometimes "newest" isn't always best in the update area.

Best of luck to ALL

Re: XP Service pack 3 -> fatal error ->might want to rethink it
> Got a blue screen fatal error, application exception could not be handled,
> etc.

And the BSOD error was...? Did you contact MS Support about this new
development?

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...&lc=en&cc= us

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

A Windows XP SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes
from standby or from hibernation, or you receive an error message when you
try to put the computer in standby or in hibernation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/