windows update distribution3.0

robin 68

windows update distribution3.0
after downloading this update my outlook express shows error port 995,socket
error10060,error no 0x800ccc0e and i cannot get any websites, please help

Re: windows update distribution3.0
CrystalBall© sez...

1. Uninstall KB951748 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2. Upgrade your ZA application per the appropriate link here:
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

3. Reinstall KB951748.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

robin 68 wrote:
> after downloading this update my outlook express shows error port
> 995,socket
> error10060,error no 0x800ccc0e and i cannot get any websites, please help

robin 68

Re: windows update distribution3.0
i did as you requested ,but it didnt work,my next question is how do i
disconnected automatic updates it wont let me do it,i would like to see the
updates before i install them,so i have a chance to fix zone alarm thank you

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> 1. Uninstall KB951748 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>
> 2. Upgrade your ZA application per the appropriate link here:
> http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html
>
> 3. Reinstall KB951748.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> robin 68 wrote:
> > after downloading this update my outlook express shows error port
> > 995,socket
> > error10060,error no 0x800ccc0e and i cannot get any websites, please help

Re: windows update distribution3.0
What "didn't work"? Did you do all 3 steps?

=> If IE's still not working after upgrading ZA and with KB951748
reinstalled, does the behavior persist if you (1) disable or uninstall
ZoneAlarm and then (2) enable the Windows Firewall?

=> If IE is working OK now but you're still getting the 0x800ccc0e error in
OE:

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection, it's the most likely source of the problem, and even
Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
~PA Bear

robin 68 wrote:
> i did as you requested ,but it didnt work,my next question is how do i
> disconnected automatic updates it wont let me do it,i would like to see
> the
> updates before i install them,so i have a chance to fix zone alarm thank
> you
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> 1. Uninstall KB951748 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
>>
>> 2. Upgrade your ZA application per the appropriate link here:
>> http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html
>>
>> 3. Reinstall KB951748.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> robin 68 wrote:
>>> after downloading this update my outlook express shows error port
>>> 995,socket
>>> error10060,error no 0x800ccc0e and i cannot get any websites, please
>>> help

robin 68

Re: windows update distribution3.0
yes i followed the steps and still could not get web sites or email,but i
just received a security update from zone alarm and i reinstalled udate
kb951748 and everything is working just fine thank you so much for your time

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What "didn't work"? Did you do all 3 steps?
>
> => If IE's still not working after upgrading ZA and with KB951748
> reinstalled, does the behavior persist if you (1) disable or uninstall
> ZoneAlarm and then (2) enable the Windows Firewall?
>
> => If IE is working OK now but you're still getting the 0x800ccc0e error in
> OE:
>
> Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
>
> Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
> additional protection, it's the most likely source of the problem, and even
> Symantec says it's not necessary:
>
> <QP>
> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
> are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
> incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
> email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
> make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
> Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
> the most recent virus definitions.
> </QP>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02111812533106
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> robin 68 wrote:
> > i did as you requested ,but it didnt work,my next question is how do i
> > disconnected automatic updates it wont let me do it,i would like to see
> > the
> > updates before i install them,so i have a chance to fix zone alarm thank
> > you
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> CrystalBall© sez...
> >>
> >> 1. Uninstall KB951748 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
> >>
> >> 2. Upgrade your ZA application per the appropriate link here:
> >> http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html
> >>
> >> 3. Reinstall KB951748.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: windows update distribution3.0
Was that a different ZA update than the one you installed in #2?

robin 68 wrote:
> yes i followed the steps and still could not get web sites or email,but i
> just received a security update from zone alarm and i reinstalled udate
> kb951748 and everything is working just fine thank you so much for your
> time
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What "didn't work"? Did you do all 3 steps?
>>
>> => If IE's still not working after upgrading ZA and with KB951748
>> reinstalled, does the behavior persist if you (1) disable or uninstall
>> ZoneAlarm and then (2) enable the Windows Firewall?
>>
>> => If IE is working OK now but you're still getting the 0x800ccc0e error
>> in
>> OE:
>>
>> Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and
>> OE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
>>
>> Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
>> additional protection, it's the most likely source of the problem, and
>> even
>> Symantec says it's not necessary:
>>
>> <QP>
>> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
>> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
>> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including
>> email
>> and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of
>> this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection,
>> keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you
>> have the most recent virus definitions.
>> </QP>
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02111812533106
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> robin 68 wrote:
>>> i did as you requested ,but it didnt work,my next question is how do i
>>> disconnected automatic updates it wont let me do it,i would like to see
>>> the
>>> updates before i install them,so i have a chance to fix zone alarm thank
>>> you

robin 68

Re: windows update distribution3.0
i really dont know,the security update appeared on my screen last night
around 10.30 pm from za it mentioned it was for kb951748,after i download the
update, za installed a toolbar with spy blocker, so if that was the problem
it worked and i am back to normal thank you again for your time

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Was that a different ZA update than the one you installed in #2?
>
> robin 68 wrote:
> > yes i followed the steps and still could not get web sites or email,but i
> > just received a security update from zone alarm and i reinstalled udate
> > kb951748 and everything is working just fine thank you so much for your
> > time
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> What "didn't work"? Did you do all 3 steps?
> >>
> >> => If IE's still not working after upgrading ZA and with KB951748
> >> reinstalled, does the behavior persist if you (1) disable or uninstall
> >> ZoneAlarm and then (2) enable the Windows Firewall?
> >>
> >> => If IE is working OK now but you're still getting the 0x800ccc0e error
> >> in
> >> OE:
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and
> >> OE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
> >>
> >> Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
> >> additional protection, it's the most likely source of the problem, and
> >> even
> >> Symantec says it's not necessary:
> >>
> >> <QP>
> >> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
> >> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
> >> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including
> >> email
> >> and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of
> >> this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection,
> >> keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you
> >> have the most recent virus definitions.
> >> </QP>
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02111812533106
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

robin 68

Re: windows update distribution3.0
i didnt mention the fact that i have windows xp and dowloaded sp3 a few weeks
ago with no problems

"robin 68" wrote:

> i really dont know,the security update appeared on my screen last night
> around 10.30 pm from za it mentioned it was for kb951748,after i download the
> update, za installed a toolbar with spy blocker, so if that was the problem
> it worked and i am back to normal thank you again for your time
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Was that a different ZA update than the one you installed in #2?
> >
> > robin 68 wrote:
> > > yes i followed the steps and still could not get web sites or email,but i
> > > just received a security update from zone alarm and i reinstalled udate
> > > kb951748 and everything is working just fine thank you so much for your
> > > time

Re: windows update distribution3.0
Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like either you didn't do #2 correctly
or something was wrong on ZA's end when you did so.