Windows Update Question

M. N.

Windows Update Question
When I do a Windows Update, where does the server get the info from my
computer to decide what updates I need?

I know that the LIST of previously installed updates in is "Add or Remove
Programs" list -- but how do they get there? (From the registry? From the $
prefixed files in the C:\Windows folder?)

If I delete the $ prefixed files (which use quite a bit of hard drive
space) in the C:\Windows folder, will this effect the record of previously
installed updates?

dgmacmi

Re: Windows Update Question

"M. N." <MN@private.net> wrote in message
news:WLWdnVjUk7WEqufVnZ2dnUVZ_h3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> When I do a Windows Update, where does the server get the info from my
> computer to decide what updates I need?
>
> I know that the LIST of previously installed updates in is "Add or Remove
> Programs" list -- but how do they get there? (From the registry? From the
> $ prefixed files in the C:\Windows folder?)
>

> If I delete the $ prefixed files (which use quite a bit of hard drive
> space) in the C:\Windows folder, will this effect the record of previously
> installed updates?

An update is added to the Add/Remove Programs list when you install the
update that can be un-installed similiar to adding a program when you
install the program.

The $ prefixed folders under Windows are for un-installing that update. They
are only there if the update can be un-installed {some cannot}. You can
delete the $ folders if you do not expect to un-install the update. Or, you
can move them to storage media if you want to be extra safe. If you remove
the $ folders and than try to uninstall the update from Add/Remove Programs,
you will get an error message and the update will be removed from the
Add/Remove Programs list.

Don

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Question
*** Do NOT DELETE ANYTHING from WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ ***
That subfolder is used by the update to determine which branch of the
update that will be installed during the installation process. There are
2 different branches of an update and without the $hf_mig$ subfolder the
correct branch can not be determined.

The scanning component of WU reads information from the registry and
scans system files to determine which updates are needed. Then it sends
the information back to the update server which in turns pushes 'down'
any updates needed by the system.

More information, probably more than you'd care to read <w>, in
determing which branch of an update will be installed, is viewable here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824994/

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten