Reinstall major problems yellow question marks

gracewriter

Reinstall major problems yellow question marks
I had to do a reinstall yesterday. Everything looks weird and big. It also
looks like it's missing a lot of features of Windows XP Home edition that was
on there before I had to wipe everything out and start all over again.

I have a pavilion hp dv1000

Yellow question marks under:

mass storage controller
multimedia audio controller
network controller
video controller (VGA compatable)

My recovery disk said it has all the drivers, apparently it doesn't. I
cannot access the internet on that computer to get them. Don't know what I
need or how to find them or even how to burn them on a disk off this computer
so I can load them on the other. If I need winzip, I'm screwed as the
computer doesn't have it.

When I click "check my system automatically this appears:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this tine because setup was
unable to load the file D:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll. Not for nothing, I
DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE, I just want XP Home back on my computer.

Tried registering the files and were accepted. But nothing is working.

my cursor is large as are the fonts, but everything isn't so big that it
looks like it's in safe mode. I don't know how to get into safe mode.

Re: Reinstall major problems yellow question marks
How does this relate to Windows Update?

Why did you have to "do a reinstall"? Did you do a Repair Install or did
you format & reinstall Windows?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gracewriter wrote:
> I had to do a reinstall yesterday. Everything looks weird and big. It
> also
> looks like it's missing a lot of features of Windows XP Home edition that
> was on there before I had to wipe everything out and start all over again.
>
> I have a pavilion hp dv1000
>
> Yellow question marks under:
>
> mass storage controller
> multimedia audio controller
> network controller
> video controller (VGA compatable)
>
> My recovery disk said it has all the drivers, apparently it doesn't. I
> cannot access the internet on that computer to get them. Don't know what
> need or how to find them or even how to burn them on a disk off this
> computer so I can load them on the other. If I need winzip, I'm screwed
> as
> the computer doesn't have it.
>
> When I click "check my system automatically this appears:
>
> The option to upgrade will not be available at this tine because setup was
> unable to load the file D:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll. Not for nothing, I
> DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE, I just want XP Home back on my computer.
>
> Tried registering the files and were accepted. But nothing is working.
>
> my cursor is large as are the fonts, but everything isn't so big that it
> looks like it's in safe mode. I don't know how to get into safe mode.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Reinstall major problems yellow question marks
The recovery *should* have all the required drivers on it. If not, was
there a second disk included with the system ?
Here's the HP software/driver download page that includes the different
dv1000 systems:
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...12&submit.y=12

Click the *specific* link for your system. I checked and no controllers
are listed. Are you sure you're not referring to the drivers for the
hardeware ?
And, what do you mean by " Tried registering the files and were
accepted. But nothing is working. " ... do you mean that the .dll files
you tried to registered showed as being successfully registered, and if
yes, which files did you attempt to register ?

BTW, this newsgroup deals with Windows Update issues. You would be
better served posting this an XP General newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
Or, an HP User Forum for Windows XP:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...categoryId=279

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

gracewriter wrote:

> I had to do a reinstall yesterday. Everything looks weird and big. It also
> looks like it's missing a lot of features of Windows XP Home edition that was
> on there before I had to wipe everything out and start all over again.
>
> I have a pavilion hp dv1000
>
> Yellow question marks under:
>
> mass storage controller
> multimedia audio controller
> network controller
> video controller (VGA compatable)
>
> My recovery disk said it has all the drivers, apparently it doesn't. I
> cannot access the internet on that computer to get them. Don't know what I
> need or how to find them or even how to burn them on a disk off this computer
> so I can load them on the other. If I need winzip, I'm screwed as the
> computer doesn't have it.
>
> When I click "check my system automatically this appears:
>
> The option to upgrade will not be available at this tine because setup was
> unable to load the file D:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll. Not for nothing, I
> DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE, I just want XP Home back on my computer.
>
> Tried registering the files and were accepted. But nothing is working.
>
> my cursor is large as are the fonts, but everything isn't so big that it
> looks like it's in safe mode. I don't know how to get into safe mode.

streeker44