XP service pack 3 won't download

rls

XP service pack 3 won't download
I need to install service pack 3 but when I try the install window opens and
just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling my antivirus and
firewall but it just does nothing. Any suggestions? I am not getting any
errors. It just sits forever showing no progress and I finally hit cancel and
there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a problem with
my computer.
Engel

RE: XP service pack 3 won't download
Hello RIS,

See if this thread helps.

<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/23943939f4764146/ac31074b1c9359ca?lnk=gst&q=kaspersky#ac31074b1c935 9ca>

Let us know what hª ppens.

Check back later, though. I'm sure someone who knows about this will be
passing through any time now.

I hope this post is helpful.
- -- ---

"rls" wrote:

> I need to install service pack 3 but when I try the install window opens and
> just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling my antivirus and
> firewall but it just does nothing. Any suggestions? I am not getting any
> errors. It just sits forever showing no progress and I finally hit cancel and
> there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a problem with
> my computer.

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
> ...I finally hit cancel
> and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
> problem with my computer.

Please post the complete error message.

Assuming you're attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update:

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
=======================

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
=======================
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

rls wrote:
> I need to install service pack 3 but when I try the install window opens
> and
> just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling my antivirus and
> firewall but it just does nothing. Any suggestions? I am not getting any
> errors. It just sits forever showing no progress and I finally hit cancel
> and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
> problem with my computer.

rls

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
When I try to install, the regular install/download window opens and then
nothing happens. I then click cancel and within the page telling me about my
updates there is a message that reads, " Problem: A problem on your computer
is preventin updates from being downloaded or installed." Prior to this I
installed another update with no problems.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...I finally hit cancel
> > and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
> > problem with my computer.

> Please post the complete error message.
>
> Assuming you're attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update:
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> =======================
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> =======================
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> rls wrote:
> > I need to install service pack 3 but when I try the install window opens
> > and
> > just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling my antivirus and
> > firewall but it just does nothing. Any suggestions? I am not getting any
> > errors. It just sits forever showing no progress and I finally hit cancel
> > and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
> > problem with my computer.

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
Open a free support incident. See links in my previous reply.
--
~PA Bear

rls wrote:
> When I try to install, the regular install/download window opens and then
> nothing happens. I then click cancel and within the page telling me about
> my
> updates there is a message that reads, " Problem: A problem on your
> computer
> is preventin updates from being downloaded or installed." Prior to this I
> installed another update with no problems.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> ...I finally hit cancel
>>> and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
>>> problem with my computer.

>> Please post the complete error message.
>>
>> Assuming you're attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>> =======================
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>> =======================
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> rls wrote:
>>> I need to install service pack 3 but when I try the install window opens
>>> and
>>> just sits there doing nothing. I have tried disabling my antivirus and
>>> firewall but it just does nothing. Any suggestions? I am not getting any
>>> errors. It just sits forever showing no progress and I finally hit
>>> cancel
>>> and there is a message that tells me it did not install because of a
>>> problem with my computer.

rls

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
I restarted my pc and tried again. I thought all was fine but install would
not complete. I now get the following error code. 0x80072F78

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Open a free support incident. See links in my previous reply.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> rls wrote:
> > When I try to install, the regular install/download window opens and then
> > nothing happens. I then click cancel and within the page telling me about
> > my
> > updates there is a message that reads, " Problem: A problem on your
> > computer
> > is preventin updates from being downloaded or installed." Prior to this I
> > installed another update with no problems.

> >> Please post the complete error message.
> >>
> >> Assuming you're attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update:
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >> =======================
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> >> =======================
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> >>
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select
> >> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TaurArian

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error
0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you
try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

Have you ensured that your antivirus software is not interfering with the
update process?

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"rls" wrote:

> I restarted my pc and tried again. I thought all was fine but install would
> not complete. I now get the following error code. 0x80072F78
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Open a free support incident. See links in my previous reply.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > rls wrote:
> > > When I try to install, the regular install/download window opens and then
> > > nothing happens. I then click cancel and within the page telling me about
> > > my
> > > updates there is a message that reads, " Problem: A problem on your
> > > computer
> > > is preventin updates from being downloaded or installed." Prior to this I
> > > installed another update with no problems.

rls

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
After that last attempt, I turned my antivirus turned off as suggested to do.
Everything seemed to be going like it was supposed to but then I got an
"access denied" message and the whole thing undid itself. I tried to do it
twice but the same thing happened both times. Now what?

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error
> 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you
> try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
>
> Have you ensured that your antivirus software is not interfering with the
> update process?
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
> 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>
> --
>
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "rls" wrote:
>
> > I restarted my pc and tried again. I thought all was fine but install would
> > not complete. I now get the following error code. 0x80072F78
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Open a free support incident. See links in my previous reply.
> > > --
> > > ~PA Bear

Smirnoff

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
I had problems downloading/installing SP3.

Turned off my AV as suggested but problem remained.

Found that it was SpywareBlaster (with protection Enabled) that was
causing the problem.

Don't know what you're running but if you have any third-party
anti-nasty/anti-spyware progs, try disabling them too.

Spybot S&D? (Undo immunisation).

Tea Timer? (disable)

In fact, any program with "real-time" protection.

Don't forget to re-enable if install is successful.

"rls" <rls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After that last attempt, I turned my antivirus turned off as suggested
> to do.
> Everything seemed to be going like it was supposed to but then I got
> an
> "access denied" message and the whole thing undid itself. I tried to
> do it
> twice but the same thing happened both times. Now what?
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error
>> 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message
>> when you
>> try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web
>> site
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
>>
>> Have you ensured that your antivirus software is not interfering with
>> the
>> update process?
>>
>> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
>> Server
>> 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>>
>> --
>>
>> --------------------------------
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
>> Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>

>> "rls" wrote:
>>
>> > I restarted my pc and tried again. I thought all was fine but
>> > install would
>> > not complete. I now get the following error code. 0x80072F78

TaurArian

Re: XP service pack 3 won't download
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is denied" or
"Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Also see:
How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Otherwise you'll have to open a free incident report as suggested earlier in the thread.

--