XP SP3 Fresh Install Intel CPU aftering Windows Update Hangs on bo

Shane

XP SP3 Fresh Install Intel CPU aftering Windows Update Hangs on bo
I am having the a problem after running windows update on a fresh install of
Windows XP Sp3.

I install the OS and latest drivers (OS, Drivers only) for my hardware and
the PC works perfectly. After running Windows Update the PC hangs with part
way through boot up process with the Logo screen visible and working and no
errors showing in the event log. I have left it for an hour before I got feed
up. The PC will boot in Safe mode though.

The Hardware used during the rebuild is as follows:
Intel 6750 CPU
2GB Corsair RAM
Asus P5KR MB
Nvida 8800GTS 340MB video card
Seagate 750GB SATA HDD.

I have performed a stress test on the system and have had no problems found.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: XP SP3 Fresh Install Intel CPU aftering Windows Update Hangson bo
Shane wrote:

> I am having the a problem after running windows update on a fresh install of
> Windows XP Sp3.

Could you expand on "fresh install" a bit? In particular, did you use an
installation CD with SP3 built in, and did you reformat the disk?

> I install the OS and latest drivers (OS, Drivers only) for my hardware and
> the PC works perfectly. After running Windows Update the PC hangs with part
> way through boot up process with the Logo screen visible and working and no
> errors showing in the event log.

I'd suggest you reinstall and use the "Custom" option on Windows Update to
install just one update at a time, keeping a record as you go. That way at
least you'll know which update is responsible.

The first time you use Windows Update don't actually select any updates, just
get to the point where it is showing you the available updates and reboot. This
is just to make sure it isn't the Windows Update software itself causing problems.

Harry.

Re: XP SP3 Fresh Install Intel CPU aftering Windows Update Hangs on bo
Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Shane wrote:
> I am having the a problem after running windows update on a fresh install
> of
> Windows XP Sp3.
>
> I install the OS and latest drivers (OS, Drivers only) for my hardware and
> the PC works perfectly. After running Windows Update the PC hangs with
> part
> way through boot up process with the Logo screen visible and working and
> no
> errors showing in the event log. I have left it for an hour before I got
> feed up. The PC will boot in Safe mode though.
>
> The Hardware used during the rebuild is as follows:
> Intel 6750 CPU
> 2GB Corsair RAM
> Asus P5KR MB
> Nvida 8800GTS 340MB video card
> Seagate 750GB SATA HDD.
>
> I have performed a stress test on the system and have had no problems
> found.
> Help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Re: XP SP3 Fresh Install Intel CPU aftering Windows Update Hangs o
I will be attempting to reinstall XP SP3 this weekend Aus time. I will advise
on how it went and where it possibly broke on Monday/Tuesday (23, 24/06).
Thanks for the advise.