Windows Update stalling

Communism

Windows Update stalling
Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
update optional software or high priority updates.

I am using Windows Xp Pro with SP3 installed and sometimes it also hangs on
the screen after clicking on "custom" in the initial update selection screen,
the one that supposedly analyzes stuff.

On an off note i also experience hanging when i try to open properties on a
device in device manager and when i try to change properties on "Local Area
Connection" like changing from manual and automatic IP or installing or
uninstalling a protocol (the hanging happens on the install screen to the
protocol and on pressing ok in the properties screen after changing the
settings). The hanging in the device manager is directly upon clicking
properties on a device. Also, when i play the game Titan Quest it often hangs
for no reason with no apparent CPU, RAM, or HD activity (this might be an
unrelated issue tho)

All of these issues started occuring after (not directly after, since
automatic updates apparently did not function after the update, as i was
never prompted to confirm updates, which would have happened since i have and
always do set it to have it automaticly download and then have me confirm the
installation of updates in automatic updates)

Thank You for your help
Communism

RE: Windows Update stalling
Clarification on the stalling on Titan Quest, it is only on the opening of
the game that it stalls and on the off chance that it sometimes doesnt stall
on the opening of the game it works fine, but the failing of Windows Update
is repeatedly and hasn't been successful even once, as is the stalling of the
various windows option screens

"Communism" wrote:

> Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
> installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
> forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
> update optional software or high priority updates.
>
> I am using Windows Xp Pro with SP3 installed and sometimes it also hangs on
> the screen after clicking on "custom" in the initial update selection screen,
> the one that supposedly analyzes stuff.
>
> On an off note i also experience hanging when i try to open properties on a
> device in device manager and when i try to change properties on "Local Area
> Connection" like changing from manual and automatic IP or installing or
> uninstalling a protocol (the hanging happens on the install screen to the
> protocol and on pressing ok in the properties screen after changing the
> settings). The hanging in the device manager is directly upon clicking
> properties on a device. Also, when i play the game Titan Quest it often hangs
> for no reason with no apparent CPU, RAM, or HD activity (this might be an
> unrelated issue tho)
>
> All of these issues started occuring after (not directly after, since
> automatic updates apparently did not function after the update, as i was
> never prompted to confirm updates, which would have happened since i have and
> always do set it to have it automaticly download and then have me confirm the
> installation of updates in automatic updates)
>
> Thank You for your help

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows Update stalling
Communism wrote:

> Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
> installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
> forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
> update optional software or high priority updates.

Could be anti-virus or other security software causing this; what do you have
installed?

Harry.
Communism

Re: Windows Update stalling
I have ESET v3.0.621.0, but i doubt that is the reason, since my friends have
this same antivirus suite installed and can still install updates

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Communism wrote:
>
> > Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
> > installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
> > forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
> > update optional software or high priority updates.

> Could be anti-virus or other security software causing this; what do you have
> installed?
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows Update stalling

>>> Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
>>> installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
>>> forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
>>> update optional software or high priority updates.

Silly question - you aren't running very low on disk space on the system partition?

Harry.
jamel

RE: Windows Update stalling

"Communism" wrote:

> Windows update stalls when it is in the "The updates are being downloaded and
> installed" phase in a very weird way. It will do "preparing for download"
> forever and never start downloading anything. This is the same whether i
> update optional software or high priority updates.
>
> I am using Windows Xp Pro with SP3 installed and sometimes it also hangs on
> the screen after clicking on "custom" in the initial update selection screen,
> the one that supposedly analyzes stuff.
>
> On an off note i also experience hanging when i try to open properties on a
> device in device manager and when i try to change properties on "Local Area
> Connection" like changing from manual and automatic IP or installing or
> uninstalling a protocol (the hanging happens on the install screen to the
> protocol and on pressing ok in the properties screen after changing the
> settings). The hanging in the device manager is directly upon clicking
> properties on a device. Also, when i play the game Titan Quest it often hangs
> for no reason with no apparent CPU, RAM, or HD activity (this might be an
> unrelated issue tho)
>
> All of these issues started occuring after (not directly after, since
> automatic updates apparently did not function after the update, as i was
> never prompted to confirm updates, which would have happened since i have and
> always do set it to have it automaticly download and then have me confirm the
> installation of updates in automatic updates)
>
> Thank You for your help

Terry

RE: Windows Update stalling
have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 option 2 resolution.