Problems with SP2

TaurArian

Re: Problems with SP2
See: http://winhlp.com/node/125#Computer_...rvice_P ack_2

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Support for SP 3 -

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but
only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For
more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only
in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and
Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
your product.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Walker" <Walker@thegood.com> wrote in message
| I resisted installing SP2 for a long time because I knew it would
| screw up my computer. After a lengthy conversation with someone in
| the computer field, I was talked into installing SP2.....and now my
| computer is screwed up. I was told that installing SP3 might correct
| the problem, so after days of trying to install SP3, I finally managed
| to install SP3, but it didn't help.
| I'm sure this has been a big problem for Microsoft, and I doubt
| there are any solutions for it, but I'll ask anyway. After I
| installed SP2, my computer slowed down to a crawl. By that I mean
| that everything takes longer to launch, the cursor is five or six
| letters behind what I'm typing, when I move the pointer overtop of a
| button, the button is supposed to turn blue before you click on it.
| Well it does turn blue if you wait long enough. It's as if the
| computer is in slow motion.
| This computer is a 3.06 ghz Pentium 4 with 1.5 GB of RDRAM, two
| hard drives totalling 750 GB of which only one third is being used, an
| ATI Radeon Pro 9700 video card with 128mb of RAM, a Turtle Beach Santa
| Cruz sound card, and an 18 inch Dell Ultrasharp LCD monitor.
| I have 5 spyware/malware programs that haven't detected anything,
| Norton AV software that hasn't detected anything, and ZoneAlarm Pro
| firewall. I've checked to see if there is anything running in the
| background that's using up CPU cycles, but there isn't.
| Everything worked fine until I installed SP2, so it's obviously
| SP2. This happened some time ago when I had SP1 and installed one of
| Microsoft's updates. Once that update was installed, I had the same
| problems. Someone told me to see if I had a certain update installed
| and if I did to remove it. I did have that update so I uninstalled it
| and my computer was back to normal, so I vowed to never install
| another update again....till this tech guy talked me into it.
| I don't remember the filename of that update, I only remember
| that when it came out, so many people had similar troubles with it
| that Microsoft issued another update to patch the first update, only
| the second update didn't work too well. I guess that update was in
| the SP2 that I installed. I'd have thought they would have corrected
| it by now, but I guess not.
| So, other than switching to Linux, is there anything that I can
| do?
|
| Walker

TaurArian

Re: Problems with SP2

--

| On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:31:38 +1000, "TaurArian"
| <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote:
|
| >See: http://winhlp.com/node/125#Computer_...rvice_P ack_2
| >
| >Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
| >http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2
| >
| >Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
| >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
| >
| >The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
| >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
| >
| >Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
| >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
| >
| >Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you install
| >Windows XP Service Pack 3
| >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309
| >
| >How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
| >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
| >
| >Support for SP 3 -
| >
| >Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >
| >Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but
| >only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For
| >more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located
at
| >http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available
only
| >in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and
| >Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then
choose
| >your product.
| >
| >. US:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >
| >. CA:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >
| >. UK:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >
| >. AU:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >
| >. Other:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
| >select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
|
| I appreciate the time it must have taken to type all of that, but
| none of it addresses my problem....unless I want to use one of
| Microsoft's help sites that wants to charge me $59 to correct a
| problem that they caused.
| I'd uninstall SP2 and SP3 if I wasn't afraid that doing so might
| totally crash my system. Installing those two service packs screwed
| it up, so I can only imagine what uninstalling them might do.
| Hasn't anyone else experienced this slowdown when they installed
| SP2? I can't believe it only happened to me, since there was a big
| problem with one of the updates to SP1 that caused this same slowdown.
|
| Walker

Repeat: Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP,
but
only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009.

Walker

Re: Problems with SP2
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:31:38 +1000, "TaurArian"
<taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote:

>See: http://winhlp.com/node/125#Computer_...rvice_P ack_2
>
>Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2
>
>Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>
>The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
>
>Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
>Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you install
>Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309
>
>How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>
>Support for SP 3 -
>
>Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
>Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but
>only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For
>more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
>http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only
>in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and
>Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
>your product.
>
>. US:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
>. CA:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
>. UK:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
>. AU:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
>. Other:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
>select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

I appreciate the time it must have taken to type all of that, but
none of it addresses my problem....unless I want to use one of
Microsoft's help sites that wants to charge me $59 to correct a
problem that they caused.
I'd uninstall SP2 and SP3 if I wasn't afraid that doing so might
totally crash my system. Installing those two service packs screwed
it up, so I can only imagine what uninstalling them might do.
Hasn't anyone else experienced this slowdown when they installed
SP2? I can't believe it only happened to me, since there was a big
problem with one of the updates to SP1 that caused this same slowdown.

Walker
Jim

Re: Problems with SP2

"Walker" <Walker@thegood.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:31:38 +1000, "TaurArian"
> <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>See:
>>http://winhlp.com/node/125#Computer_...rvice_P ack_2
>>
>>Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2
>>
>>Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>>
>>The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
>>
>>Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>>
>>Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
>>you install
>>Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309
>>
>>How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>>
>>Support for SP 3 -
>>
>>Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>>Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>>Windows XP, but
>>only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April
>>14, 2009. For
>>more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle
>>page located at
>>http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support
>>is available only
>>in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit
>>the Help and
>>Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173,
>>and then choose
>>your product.
>>
>>. US:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>>. CA:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>>. UK:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>>. AU:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>>. Other:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
>>select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

> I appreciate the time it must have taken to type all of that, but
> none of it addresses my problem....unless I want to use one of
> Microsoft's help sites that wants to charge me $59 to correct a
> problem that they caused.
> I'd uninstall SP2 and SP3 if I wasn't afraid that doing so might
> totally crash my system. Installing those two service packs screwed
> it up, so I can only imagine what uninstalling them might do.
> Hasn't anyone else experienced this slowdown when they installed
> SP2? I can't believe it only happened to me, since there was a big
> problem with one of the updates to SP1 that caused this same slowdown.
>
> Walker

SP2 works fine here.
Jim