unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator

ocicat

unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator
I think this problem has cropped up as a result of installing Service Pack 1.

Whenever I try to execute anything that requires Administrator rights (ie.
right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon to run cmd.exe as Adminstrator...),
I'm now getting a dialog box after *several* seconds stating "The service did
not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".

What needs to be tweaked in order to regain Administrator control? I'm
unable to update software now because this problem.

Thanks.
realcestmoi

Re: unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator
Hi there,

If you want help you might want to make clear which operating system you are
using and which Sp1 you did install since it is hard to guess what you are
reffering to.

Best regards,
Michel denie

"ocicat" <ocicat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think this problem has cropped up as a result of installing Service Pack
>1.
>
> Whenever I try to execute anything that requires Administrator rights (ie.
> right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon to run cmd.exe as
> Adminstrator...),
> I'm now getting a dialog box after *several* seconds stating "The service
> did
> not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".
>
> What needs to be tweaked in order to regain Administrator control? I'm
> unable to update software now because this problem.
>
> Thanks.

ocicat

Re: unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator
I thought this message was being posted to a Vista-specific forum which would
make the answer to your question obvious. Anyways, I have resolved this
myself.

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If you want help you might want to make clear which operating system you are
> using and which Sp1 you did install since it is hard to guess what you are
> reffering to.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel denie
>

> "ocicat" <ocicat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think this problem has cropped up as a result of installing Service Pack
> >1.
> >
> > Whenever I try to execute anything that requires Administrator rights (ie.
> > right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon to run cmd.exe as
> > Adminstrator...),
> > I'm now getting a dialog box after *several* seconds stating "The service
> > did
> > not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".
> >
> > What needs to be tweaked in order to regain Administrator control? I'm
> > unable to update software now because this problem.
> >
> > Thanks.

TaurArian

Re: unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator
Care to share the fix in case someone else is looking for the answer?

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"ocicat" wrote:

> I thought this message was being posted to a Vista-specific forum which would
> make the answer to your question obvious. Anyways, I have resolved this
> myself.
>
> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > If you want help you might want to make clear which operating system you are
> > using and which Sp1 you did install since it is hard to guess what you are
> > reffering to.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michel denie
> >

> > "ocicat" <ocicat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I think this problem has cropped up as a result of installing Service Pack
> > >1.
> > >
> > > Whenever I try to execute anything that requires Administrator rights (ie.
> > > right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon to run cmd.exe as
> > > Adminstrator...),
> > > I'm now getting a dialog box after *several* seconds stating "The service
> > > did
> > > not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".
> > >
> > > What needs to be tweaked in order to regain Administrator control? I'm
> > > unable to update software now because this problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

realcestmoi

Re: unable to run cmd.exe as Administrator
Hi there,

This is the windows update group, so no that was not clear at all that it
was Vista related.