XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS

bb

XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS
Have XP home SP3. When trying to get auto updates, nothing happens, machine
just sits here, eventually I get failure msgs in the popup.
I have entered an issue with MICROSOFT, but nothing is helping that they are
suggesting. Re-registering, stop 3rd party software, etc. I THINK IT IS
SOMETHING WITH SP3... My sound card is also been afftected... So, my advice
would be for all to go to enter issues with MS so they will addresss
it!!!!!!!!! I have been working on this since last week to no avail !!!!!
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS
bb wrote:
> Have XP home SP3. When trying to get auto updates, nothing
> happens, machine just sits here, eventually I get failure msgs in
> the popup.
>
> I have entered an issue with MICROSOFT, but nothing is helping that
> they are suggesting. Re-registering, stop 3rd party software, etc.
> I THINK IT IS SOMETHING WITH SP3... My sound card is also been
> afftected... So, my advice would be for all to go to enter issues
> with MS so they will addresss it!!!!!!!!! I have been working on
> this since last week to no avail !!!!!

I'm sorry. Your message seems to say, "I did stuff... Installed SP3...
Failure messages... Stuff, blah blah... Sound card issues..."

Can you be more specific - detailed - with your posting? Recall that at
this point in time only you can see your computer screen and the messages
that fly across it. Only you know what you did and what order you did it
in. Only you know what your computer specifications (make/model, CPU type,
amount of memory, amount of free drive space on C:, etc...) are. Only you
know what the exact messages that pop up are. Only you know what "... sound
card is also been affected ..." means.

Could you give as much detail as possible - unless your purpose is to
present FUD and scare people into sending messages to Microsoft with as
little detail as plausible for it to still be considered an email? ;-)

Given that - I truly do feel your frustration - and see it here every day.
What you need to do now is figure out what - with your particular machine -
is causing the issue. Luckily - there are some common issues and known ways
around them - I will give you those - and for the less common - there is
FREE support from Microsoft until April 2009 for SP3 installation
troubles...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest sound card drivers from your hardware vendor...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

bb

Re: XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS

First,

I HAVE BEEN IN COMMUNICATION WITH MS sending them windowupdate.log files,
system .nfo files and re-registering DLLs, and nothing they are telling me is
helping. I am seeing ALOT of posts re this problem, so you do not have to
tell me I am scaring people. They are seeing my total setup on my machine as
well as when those updates are failing.
As far as that sound driver, it is usually INCLUDED WITH THE WINDOWS UPDATE.
Maybe you should compile a listing of posts re June 2008 update problems
because there are many.
I have Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update, Disable the software
that can affect Windows Update, re registered DLLS, ensured AUTO update was
started, ensured bits was started, all after they looked at my log files
which had errors
80080005 and later 0x80246008.
Lastly, this happened when the latest downloads were automatically
attempting to download/install on my machine.
You guys just fling stuff right back at users with legitimate questions
sometimes with no sure answer...Yes, this is frustrating and I told you in
the FIRST PLACE i was in contact with MS to no avail.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> Other references include:
> .. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
> ..
> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
> .. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
> ..
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
> .. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
> (Revised 06 May-08)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
>
> Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
> SP3... Method 3 of this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>

> Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
> latest sound card drivers from your hardware vendor...

TaurArian

Re: XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS
"bb", we're only volunteers here and not employed by MS.
Suggest you continue your incident report with MS as anything suggested here would only
aggravate you.
Thank you. Have a good day.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"bb" <bb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
| >
| > Other references include:
| > .. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
| > ..

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
| > .. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
| > ..

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
| > .. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
| > XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
| > (Revised 06 May-08)
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
| >
| > Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
| > SP3... Method 3 of this article:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
| >

| > Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
| > latest sound card drivers from your hardware vendor...

<snipped>

bb wrote:
> First,
>
> I HAVE BEEN IN COMMUNICATION WITH MS sending them windowupdate.log
> files, system .nfo files and re-registering DLLs, and nothing they
> are telling me is helping. I am seeing ALOT of posts re this
> problem, so you do not have to tell me I am scaring people. They
> are seeing my total setup on my machine as well as when those
> updates are failing.

However - you started a whole new posting just to rant... No real
information in it, nothing useful for the volunteers here to work from... In
other words - in whatever length of time when someone was searching for help
and they might wander across your posting - it would be of no help. I added
the most common issues with SP3 and the most common solutions.

> As far as that sound driver, it is usually INCLUDED WITH THE
> WINDOWS UPDATE. Maybe you should compile a listing of posts re June
> 2008 update problems because there are many.

Windows Updates do not usually contain drivers and if they do - you should
avoid them IMHO. You should always get your drivers from the people who
manufactured the equipment.

> I have Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update, Disable the
> software that can affect Windows Update, re registered DLLS,
> ensured AUTO update was started, ensured bits was started, all
> after they looked at my log files which had errors
> 80080005 and later 0x80246008.

Okay.

> Lastly, this happened when the latest downloads were automatically
> attempting to download/install on my machine.
> You guys just fling stuff right back at users with legitimate
> questions sometimes with no sure answer...Yes, this is frustrating
> and I told you in the FIRST PLACE i was in contact with MS to no
> avail.

Take your frustrations out on the right people then... I'm not Microsoft
and don't really care about Microsoft as an entity... I volunteer my time
and knowledge here just because I can help people.

As far as June updates causing issues - every month, there's a new list
because there are millions of configurations possibilites and no matter
what - someone, somewhere will have trouble.

Good Luck.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

bb

Re: XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS
You are the type of tech support that give you guys such a bad reputation.

Sure, you deleted my response to Taurian, who was much more professional in
handling the situation.

And, Microsoft does provide downloads for the Creative sound card, which
will download with the updates.

You were really no help at all Shenan.

bb wrote:
> You are the type of tech support that give you guys such a bad
> reputation.
>
> Sure, you deleted my response to Taurian, who was much more
> professional in handling the situation.
>
> And, Microsoft does provide downloads for the Creative sound card,
> which will download with the updates.
>
> You were really no help at all Shenan.

Technically - I provided lots of good tips that have helped many people -
helping them avoid having to make the Microsoft contact at all. As far as I
see it - you are just frustrated and taking it out on me. That's your
perogative.

This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup. I provide help on a volunteer basis. You
came here not asking for assistance - but complaining. You really had
nothing to provide assistance with (did not ask for anything - basically
telling others what to do because you were in a bad spot) - but I provided
assistance anyway in hopes that it would either help you or someone else
that might see your complaint at a future date while they were researching
what to do to either fix a problem they were having with SP3 or prevent
(prepare for) any problems from occurring in the first place.

I did not 'cut' anything that I was responding to - but if it makes you feel
better - here is a link to the entire conversation that will be archived
indefinitely. I even indicated that I SNIPPED the conversation before that
for brevity - meaning somone wanting to know more could find the rest of the
conversation in a similar manner that I am posting the link to the entire
conversation here. I suggest looking at it in "tree view" so that you can
see that TaurArian and myself responded to your previous posting - I did not
respond to TaurArian, so that message would not have been included in my
reply. You can do this by clicking on the link below and if there is no
column on the left showing the posting order, the top-right will have an
options 'button' you can click on and then on the top left, you will have an
option for "Standard View" or "View as Tree".

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a051a353dcb95f

As far as I see it, I asked you reasonable questions in a reasonable manner
and provided you with the assistance that usually fixes issues like yours
(at least what I could gather from what little you posted about them.) I
even provided a little levity and told you that I did understand you were
frustrated. So then you attacked and yelled (in all uppercase lettering) at
me for providing information that you had already gotten (whom would have
known what all you had done given your original postings brevity?)

*shrug*

I have been helping people long enough to know that many people get
frustrated and argumentative when they are in a situation they feel they
should not be in and they have been unable to get themselves out of. The
usually get angry at those who are helping them - well - because they are
'there'. Many of the things Microsoft probably has you do are likely in the
links I orginally gave - and who knows how many of those things they got
from posts in the newsgroups like these.

I can understand you don't like seeing things you already tried - but you
are not the only person who might benefit from knowing all that you tried -
and that is why I do this - not to help just the person in need with just
the problem they have now - but to help others later on with the same
questions (or similar ones) and to help others help themselves - as I find
when somone can do something on their own and it works - they are not just
happy it is over - but feel like they *really* have accomplished something
and then maybe they will come back and help others.

I sincerely hope you fix your problem and I sincerely hope you look through
(carefully) the links I gave you - as one or more of them might possibly fix
your issue(s) - whatever those may be.

Good luck.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

bb wrote:

> You are the type of tech support that give you guys such a bad reputation.

He isn't tech support, he's a volunteer. And, to be honest, his response was
fairly mild.

> Sure, you deleted my response to Taurian, [...]

Unlikely. Do you have any particular reason to believe this is the case?

Looks as if you're accessing this newsgroup via a third-party web portal, though
I can't identify which one. Perhaps that portal is censoring posts, or (much
more likely) it just glitched. You could try Google Groups instead, they have a
fairly good reputation, or use Microsoft's own portals.

> And, Microsoft does provide downloads for the Creative sound card, which
> will download with the updates.

Did anybody say they didn't? There's a difference of opinion whether it is a
good idea to download drivers from Windows Update; Shenan was simply suggesting
that you should consider avoiding them. You can usually get updated drivers
from the hardware manufacturer instead.

(Personally, I usually download drivers when Windows Update offers them, but
many other experts I respect recommend against doing so, so I tend to stay
neutral on the subject.)

Harry.
bb

Re: XP sp3 WINDOWS UPDATE PROBLEMS
Thank you for your professional response.
I do understand you are volunteers and can appreciate that, but I do also
view you guys as techies, which I am sure you are.
Your cohort Shenan felt the need to rant at me on and on..just read his
seem to have a reputation for. PLease no more...geez.
Again, thanks and hopefully I will find a solution since I am seeing many
similar posts regarding a problem with Windows XP SP3 and the update of June
2008.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> [...]
> | >
> | > Other references include:
> | > .. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
> | > ..
> | >
> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
> | > .. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
> | > ..
> | >
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
> | > .. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
> | > XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
> | > (Revised 06 May-08)
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
> | >
> | > Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
> | > SP3... Method 3 of this article:
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
> | >

> | > Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
> | > latest sound card drivers from your hardware vendor...

Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

By any chance did you reinstall WinXP just before you installed SP3?

(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/