june 10th update problem

asmdw

june 10th update problem
After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
Windows XP to date with no problems until now.

- Sound drivers are no longer recognised

- Device manager is now empty

- Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty

- Cannot move icons on desktop

- System restore tool does not work

These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

asmdw

RE: june 10th update problem
No norton software here!! Forgot to tell this!

"asmdw" wrote:

> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>
> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>

> - Device manager is now empty
>
> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>
> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>
> - System restore tool does not work
>

> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
> help is greatly appreciated.

Shenan Stanley

Re: june 10th update problem
asmdw wrote:
> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June
> 10th, 2008, the following issues have arised. I believe I have
> installed all updates to Windows XP to date with no problems until
> now.
>
> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
> - Device manager is now empty
> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is
> empty
> - Cannot move icons on desktop
> - System restore tool does not work
>
> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I
> have not discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that
> doesn't work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Given you have no Norton/Symantec products - I believe the updates may have
exposed an existing issue.

- Did you uninstall the updates? (Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs)
- Did you visit the hardware manufacturer's web page for the sound card in
questin and download/install the latest software drivers?
- When you say, "... I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work
...." - can you be more specific? (What procedure are you speaking of?
- Do you have Windows XP Home, Professional, TabletPC, Media Center (2002 or
2005) or x64?
- Do you have SP3 or SP2?
- For the 'icons on the desktop' issue - is it true for all users and in
Safe Mode?
- For the 'system restore' issue - can you be more specific about, "... does
not work ..."? Have you tried in Safe Mode?
- What AntiVirus software do you use?
- What AntiSpyware software do you use?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: june 10th update problem
Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install Windows XP Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
Read even if you haven't updated to SP3

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows
2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Multiple symptoms occur if an antivirus scan occurs while the Wsusscan.cab file is copied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900638

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"asmdw" <asmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
| the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
| Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
|
| - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
|

| - Device manager is now empty
|
| - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
|
| - Cannot move icons on desktop
|
| - System restore tool does not work
|

| These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
| discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
| help is greatly appreciated.

Re: june 10th update problem
What updates did you install?

Is WinXP SP3 currently installed? If so, when was it installed and did you
install it via Windows Update or manually?

(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

asmdw wrote:
> No norton software here!! Forgot to tell this!
>
> "asmdw" wrote:
>
>> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th,
>> 2008,
>> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates
>> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>>
>> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>>

>> - Device manager is now empty
>>
>> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>>
>> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>>
>> - System restore tool does not work
>>

>> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
>> discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
>> help is greatly appreciated.

asmdw

RE: june 10th update problem
I am running McAfee Virusscan and firewall.
Cannot uninstall any program, so i can't uninstall the updates.
I installed SP3 a few weeks ago, the june 10 update was an automatically
update
I can't install software, so i can't update any drivers, not even in safe
mode.
I didn't install any new hardware, but windows keeps saying i have to
validate my windows xp. But i can't access my network, so i can't update.

Hope this helps...
thanks a lot!!!!

asmdw wrote:
> I am running McAfee Virusscan and firewall.
>
> Cannot uninstall any program, so i can't uninstall the updates.
>
> I installed SP3 a few weeks ago, the june 10 update was an
> automatically update
>
> I can't install software, so i can't update any drivers, not even
> in safe mode.
>
> I didn't install any new hardware, but windows keeps saying i have
> to validate my windows xp. But i can't access my network, so i
> can't update.

It seems you are still leaving vital information out - although I cannot put
my finger on what.

You first said you 'tried' to "reinstall windows"... But that did not work.
I am unsure what you mean by "doesn't work".

When you 'reinstall[ed] windows', *how* did you do this? From the actual
installation media for Windows XP or some recovery/restoration process where
you pressed a key (or a few) and the computer rebooted and restored your
computer to 'as shipped' state?

After you 'reinstall[ed] windows', did you install the latest hardware
drivers for the hardware in your machine?

Was the device manager, sound card and other issues you reported in *all* in
existence before the "reinstall windows" attempt?

You now say you cannot install or uninstall anything - might I ask why?
What is specifically keeping you from doing this? Are you not the
'administrator' of this machine - is it possibly one owned by whom ever you
work for? Or is there a message that comes up when you try to do this?

You say the computer keeps telling you that you need to 'validate windows' -
is it saying that or "activate"? Have you tried selecting "activate by
telephone"?

Help us help you with the answers to the above questions...

Thanks!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: june 10th update problem
And you're replying to whom?
=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

asmdw wrote:
> I am running McAfee Virusscan and firewall.
> Cannot uninstall any program, so i can't uninstall the updates.
> I installed SP3 a few weeks ago, the june 10 update was an automatically
> update
> I can't install software, so i can't update any drivers, not even in safe
> mode.
> I didn't install any new hardware, but windows keeps saying i have to
> validate my windows xp. But i can't access my network, so i can't update.
>
> Hope this helps...
> thanks a lot!!!!
> "asmdw" wrote:
>
>> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th,
>> 2008,
>> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates
>> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>>
>> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>>

>> - Device manager is now empty
>>
>> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>>
>> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>>
>> - System restore tool does not work
>>

>> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
>> discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
>> help is greatly appreciated.

TaurArian

RE: june 10th update problem
Is this relevant to your situation?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953761
Windows XP SP3-based client computers cannot access the network when some
DHCP information is unavailable

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"asmdw" wrote:

> I am running McAfee Virusscan and firewall.
> Cannot uninstall any program, so i can't uninstall the updates.
> I installed SP3 a few weeks ago, the june 10 update was an automatically
> update
> I can't install software, so i can't update any drivers, not even in safe
> mode.
> I didn't install any new hardware, but windows keeps saying i have to
> validate my windows xp. But i can't access my network, so i can't update.
>
> Hope this helps...
> thanks a lot!!!!
> "asmdw" wrote:
>
> > After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> > the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
> > Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
> >
> > - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
> >

> > - Device manager is now empty
> >
> > - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
> >
> > - Cannot move icons on desktop
> >
> > - System restore tool does not work
> >

> > These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> > discovered yet. I tried to reinstall windows, but that doesn't work. Any
> > help is greatly appreciated.

asmdw

RE: june 10th update problem
Did format the entire drive. Problem solved. Thanks for al the help. Topic
can be closed.