SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC

TCEdmon

SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
My computer will not boot up at all, tried safe mode and every other type of
boot up offered when pushing the F8 key.

Last night I updated my computer to SP3, after downloading I re-booted and
received the following error message.

Stop error: 0x000000FC (0xF7AAF8E8, 0x06DD6963, 0xF7AAF848, 0x00000001)

Please help

Engel

RE: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
Hello TCEdmon,

Have a look at this article . It may be relevant to your prºblem.

0x000000FC: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY

Your computer repeatedly restarts (new driver needed; work-around available)

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/878474>

<http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Search/search.aspx?lcid=1033&words=&idx=1&pgsize=10&SiteI D=17&localechoice=9&searchscope=&ForumID=-1&ForumGroupID=-1&CSVUserID=MTc4NzUy>

I hope that post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

"TCEdmon" wrote:

> My computer will not boot up at all, tried safe mode and every other type of
> boot up offered when pushing the F8 key.
>
> Last night I updated my computer to SP3, after downloading I re-booted and
> received the following error message.
>
> Stop error: 0x000000FC (0xF7AAF8E8, 0x06DD6963, 0xF7AAF848, 0x00000001)
>
> Please help

TCEdmon

RE: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
I can NOT get the computer to open in SAFE MODE, So I have no way to update
any drivers.

Is there another way to start in safe mode?
Do you know what the other strings of error codes mean?

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello TCEdmon,
>
> Have a look at this article . It may be relevant to your prºblem.
>
> 0x000000FC: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
>
> Your computer repeatedly restarts (new driver needed; work-around available)
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/878474>
>
> <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Search/search.aspx?lcid=1033&words=&idx=1&pgsize=10&SiteI D=17&localechoice=9&searchscope=&ForumID=-1&ForumGroupID=-1&CSVUserID=MTc4NzUy>
>
> I hope that post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- ---
>

> "TCEdmon" wrote:
>
> > My computer will not boot up at all, tried safe mode and every other type of
> > boot up offered when pushing the F8 key.
> >
> > Last night I updated my computer to SP3, after downloading I re-booted and
> > received the following error message.
> >
> > Stop error: 0x000000FC (0xF7AAF8E8, 0x06DD6963, 0xF7AAF848, 0x00000001)
> >
> > Please help

Harry Johnston [MVP]

TCEdmon wrote:

> I can NOT get the computer to open in SAFE MODE, So I have no way to update
> any drivers.
>
> Is there another way to start in safe mode?
> Do you know what the other strings of error codes mean?

Have you tried the repair console, accessible by booting your Windows XP CD?

Harry.
TCEdmon

Re: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC

I have not; I will dig it out of the closet tonight and try that. If it
works should I try the SP3 update again or just restore to last known working
setup?

Is there anything in SP3 worth updating for?
Security, improved performance, etc.?

Thank you for your reply

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> TCEdmon wrote:
>
> > I can NOT get the computer to open in SAFE MODE, So I have no way to update
> > any drivers.
> >
> > Is there another way to start in safe mode?
> > Do you know what the other strings of error codes mean?

> Have you tried the repair console, accessible by booting your Windows XP CD?
>
> Harry.

Engel

Re: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
Hi TCEdmon,

> Is there anything in SP3 worth updating for?
> Security, improved performance, etc.?

<http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3463053&SiteID=17>

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/>

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm>

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx>

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717>

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx>

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718>

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3).
This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009.
<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

Good luck

- -- ---

"TCEdmon" wrote:

> I have not; I will dig it out of the closet tonight and try that. If it
> works should I try the SP3 update again or just restore to last known working
> setup?
>
> Is there anything in SP3 worth updating for?
> Security, improved performance, etc.?
>
> Thank you for your reply
>
> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > TCEdmon wrote:
> >
> > > I can NOT get the computer to open in SAFE MODE, So I have no way to update
> > > any drivers.
> > >
> > > Is there another way to start in safe mode?
> > > Do you know what the other strings of error codes mean?

> > Have you tried the repair console, accessible by booting your Windows XP CD?
> >
> > Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

TCEdmon wrote:

> I have not; I will dig it out of the closet tonight and try that. If it
> works should I try the SP3 update again or just restore to last known working
> setup?
>
> Is there anything in SP3 worth updating for?
> Security, improved performance, etc.?

After a while security updates will only be available for SP3, and it's probably
a good idea to install it before the free support period runs out. There's no
great urgency right now (and in fact various reasons why it might be best to
wait) but you definitely shouldn't forget about it.

You should be able to use the recovery console to disable the driver described
in the KB article previously posted, or perhaps even to change the DEP setting.
I've never used it myself but if you have problems someone else in this group,
or in the Windows XP newsgroup, may be able to help.

If possible, it would be better to correct the problem than to wind back SP3.

Note that in my previous post I said "repair console" when I meant "recovery
console". Oops.

Harry.

Re: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TCEdmon wrote:
> My computer will not boot up at all, tried safe mode and every other type
> of
> boot up offered when pushing the F8 key.
>
> Last night I updated my computer to SP3, after downloading I re-booted and
> received the following error message.
>
> Stop error: 0x000000FC (0xF7AAF8E8, 0x06DD6963, 0xF7AAF848, 0x00000001)
>
> Please help

TCEdmon

Re: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
I used Windows UpDate via download.
I use avast virus software, I disable shortly after starting the download
maybe 10% in to it. Than left is disable the rest of the download and
install process.

Still looking for my orginal windows XP CD that can with my Dell Dimension
9200 2 years ago.

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed SP3?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> TCEdmon wrote:
> > My computer will not boot up at all, tried safe mode and every other type
> > of
> > boot up offered when pushing the F8 key.
> >
> > Last night I updated my computer to SP3, after downloading I re-booted and
> > received the following error message.
> >
> > Stop error: 0x000000FC (0xF7AAF8E8, 0x06DD6963, 0xF7AAF848, 0x00000001)
> >
> > Please help

Re: SP3 Stop error: 0x000000FC
Your best bet would be to open a free support incident:

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Keep us posted, please.