Windows Update Error 0x800A0046

G Wilkinson

Windows Update Error 0x800A0046
Hi Folks,

I am working on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and I found after installing
service pack 4 that I can no longer install updates! I know this has become
a common problem, as I have already tried an innumerable amount of
solutions.

I continue getteing this error:

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
click Custom Level.
In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

I also followed this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883821

Here are the steps I performed with respects to the support link above.
1. The workstations already had 'Service and Administrator' were part of
"Impersonate a client after authentication" security policy. So this one
didn't work.

2. I downloaded the 'SC' security descriptor from the provided link by
Torgeir Bakken. Once I copied the 'SC' application to the root of the c:
and
typed the long commands I was greeted with the following:
SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS.

I then attempted to try the Windows Update site again, no luck, still 'Error
number: 0x800A0046'.

3. I went to the Local User Account settings and went to the 'Member Of'
tab and noticed the account was a member of the following groups:
Administrators, Backup Operators, Guests, Power Users, Replicator and Users.
I removed everyone but 'Administrators' from this Local User Account.

I then attempted to try the Windows Update site again, no luck, still 'Error
number: 0x800A0046'.

ARRRRGHHH!!

Thanks In Advance For Your Help

Re: Windows Update Error 0x800A0046
Also see:

Error message when you visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft
Update Web site: "0x800A0046"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910338
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/