Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure

pixelland

Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer is
"stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same screen. I
don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios during the
reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't know
what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!
--
Rebecca
Engel

RE: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
Hello Rebeca,

Have a look at this thread. It may be relevant to your prºblem.

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a019c 5c9-0c20-4b2f-a6b5-f46e4f088ea5&mid=a019c5c9-0c20-4b2f-a6b5-f46e4f088ea5>

I hope that post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

"pixelland" wrote:

> Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer is
> "stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
> 3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same screen. I
> don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios during the
> reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't know
> what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!
> --
> Rebecca

pixelland

RE: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
Engel... you are an angel!... The link in the other thread took me to the
info I needed. F8 in boot got me in, and I did a system restore to the last
checkpoint before the update. There was some damage to drive C, but that was
successfully fixed, and I'm back in. Scared the H out of me... thought I had
lost an entire photo shoot! So far, everything seems to be intact. Just
changed the setting on auto update, tho.... Thanks!!!!!
--
Rebecca

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Rebeca,
>
> Have a look at this thread. It may be relevant to your prºblem.
>

> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a019c 5c9-0c20-4b2f-a6b5-f46e4f088ea5&mid=a019c5c9-0c20-4b2f-a6b5-f46e4f088ea5>
>
> I hope that post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- ---
>

> "pixelland" wrote:
>
> > Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer is
> > "stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
> > 3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same screen. I
> > don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios during the
> > reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't know
> > what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!
> > --
> > Rebecca

Re: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
["When you try to install an update from Windows Update on a computer that
is running Windows Vista, you may receive the following message:

configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete

After you receive this message, the computer reverts to the screen that
displays the same message. Additionally, the update is not installed
successfully, and the computer restarts."]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pixelland wrote:
> Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer
> is
> "stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
> 3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same
> screen.
> I don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios during
> the reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't
> know what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!

pixelland

Re: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
the link Engel provided contained a post that describes exactly what my
computer was doing. Cycling through restarts, and not allowing me access. The
link he had provided gave me the info I needed to get in so I could restore.
Thank goodness I have more than one computer, or I would have been without
resources. As a preventive measure, I changed the settings to stop
auto-installs. Thanks...
--
Rebecca

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
> ["When you try to install an update from Windows Update on a computer that
> is running Windows Vista, you may receive the following message:
>
> configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete
>
> After you receive this message, the computer reverts to the screen that
> displays the same message. Additionally, the update is not installed
> successfully, and the computer restarts."]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> pixelland wrote:
> > Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer
> > is
> > "stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
> > 3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same
> > screen.
> > I don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios during
> > the reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't
> > know what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!

Re: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
I suspect that Vista SP1 isn't installed yet. If you disable Automatic
Updates and don't try the Resolution Methods in KB949358 (or don't
download/install KB937287 manually; see the MORE INFORMATION section),
you'll never get SP1 installed or, possibly, any other updates for Vista.

The choice is yours: Resolve the short-term problem as you've done or
re-enable Automatic Updates and soldier on.

pixelland wrote:
> the link Engel provided contained a post that describes exactly what my
> computer was doing. Cycling through restarts, and not allowing me access.
> The link he had provided gave me the info I needed to get in so I could
> restore. Thank goodness I have more than one computer, or I would have
> been
> without resources. As a preventive measure, I changed the settings to stop
> auto-installs. Thanks...
>
>> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
>> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
>> ["When you try to install an update from Windows Update on a computer
>> that
>> is running Windows Vista, you may receive the following message:
>>
>> configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete
>>
>> After you receive this message, the computer reverts to the screen that
>> displays the same message. Additionally, the update is not installed
>> successfully, and the computer restarts."]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> pixelland wrote:
>>> Please help!.. An auto update failed today on my laptop, and my computer
>>> is
>>> "stuck" in a reboot cycle, of sorts. I get "completing installation 3 of
>>> 3...." then it tries to reboot, but it comes right back to the same
>>> screen.
>>> I don't know how to get it out of this cycle. I can access the Bios
>>> during
>>> the reboot, but don't know what I might change to correct this. I don't
>>> know what was installed... just that I cannot use my computer! Thanks!

pixelland

Re: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
Thank you for your information. I have review the update log. KB937287 was
installed on date of purchase by the store. I don't see "Vista SP1"
specifically, nor is it listed on my computer as an available update. I had
been relying on the auto-update. I am still having the computer check for
updates, but I need to control when they are installed. I use the computer
for work, and bad timing on automatic actions can bog down the system at an
inconvenient time.

Since I have one of the two you recommended, do I need the other?
(KB949358)... and if Vista SP1 isn't provided through auto-update, could you
provide me a link? Thanks again
Rebecca

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I suspect that Vista SP1 isn't installed yet. If you disable Automatic
> Updates and don't try the Resolution Methods in KB949358 (or don't
> download/install KB937287 manually; see the MORE INFORMATION section),
> you'll never get SP1 installed or, possibly, any other updates for Vista.
>
> The choice is yours: Resolve the short-term problem as you've done or
> re-enable Automatic Updates and soldier on.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> pixelland wrote:
> > the link Engel provided contained a post that describes exactly what my
> > computer was doing. Cycling through restarts, and not allowing me access.
> > The link he had provided gave me the info I needed to get in so I could
> > restore. Thank goodness I have more than one computer, or I would have
> > been
> > without resources. As a preventive measure, I changed the settings to stop
> > auto-installs. Thanks...
> >
> >> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> >> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
> >> ["When you try to install an update from Windows Update on a computer
> >> that
> >> is running Windows Vista, you may receive the following message:
> >>
> >> configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete
> >>
> >> After you receive this message, the computer reverts to the screen that
> >> displays the same message. Additionally, the update is not installed
> >> successfully, and the computer restarts."]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Help!.. Vista AutoUpdate failure
1. Re-enable Automatic Updates and select the Notify Only option (no updates
will download OR install w/out your approval). See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

2. Open a free Vista SP1 support incident ASAP:

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

NB: I would NOT recommend installing Vista SP1 manually unless and until
it's offered by Windows Update!

Let us know how you make out, please.