admin

dano

admin
can someone explain this to me...ive been trying to download the new msn
messenger as I currently only have messenger web version. however, everytime
i try to download it, this message appears and it wont let me install the
program. As far as i know i am an administrator on my laptop and my user
account is even set up as an administrator. this has never happened to me
before. i never had problems installing it before...can anyone help!

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User
Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator
for help with updates.

Shenan Stanley

Re: admin
dano wrote:
> can someone explain this to me...ive been trying to download the
> new msn messenger as I currently only have messenger web version.
> however, everytime i try to download it, this message appears and
> it wont let me install the program. As far as i know i am an
> administrator on my laptop and my user account is even set up as an
> administrator. this has never happened to me before. i never had
> problems installing it before...can anyone help!
>

> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your
> computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an
> administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.
>
> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy
> settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your
> system administrator for help with updates.

Click on the START button.
Locate and click on the RUN button.
Type in:

cmd /k net localgroup administrators

Click OK.

When the command prompt comes up and lists the members of the local
administrators group - do you see your username in it?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: admin
> ...ive been trying to download the new msn
> messenger as I currently only have messenger web version.

Does the laptop belong to you or your employer?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dano wrote:
> can someone explain this to me...ive been trying to download the new msn
> messenger as I currently only have messenger web version. however,
> everytime
> i try to download it, this message appears and it wont let me install the
> program. As far as i know i am an administrator on my laptop and my user
> account is even set up as an administrator. this has never happened to me
> before. i never had problems installing it before...can anyone help!
>

> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
> User
> Accounts in Control Panel.
>
> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
> administrator
> for help with updates.

dewdropmp

Re: admin
no i do not see my name.. it has everyone elses name and hp admin.. how do i
change hp admin to me?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> dano wrote:
> > can someone explain this to me...ive been trying to download the
> > new msn messenger as I currently only have messenger web version.
> > however, everytime i try to download it, this message appears and
> > it wont let me install the program. As far as i know i am an
> > administrator on my laptop and my user account is even set up as an
> > administrator. this has never happened to me before. i never had
> > problems installing it before...can anyone help!
> >

> > [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> > To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> > administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your
> > computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an
> > administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> >
> > Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy
> > settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your
> > system administrator for help with updates.

> Click on the START button.
> Locate and click on the RUN button.
> Type in:
>
> cmd /k net localgroup administrators
>
> Click OK.
>
> When the command prompt comes up and lists the members of the local
> administrators group - do you see your username in it?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan Stanley

Re: admin
<snipped>
(Original post was a different user, it looks like.)

dewdropmp wrote:
> no i do not see my name.. it has everyone elses name and hp admin..
> how do i change hp admin to me?

Why would you want to change "hp admin" to you?

Would that happen to be your username? Notice - I asked if you saw your
*username* in the list - not your name. They are not necessarily the same
thing.

Are you asking how you become an administrator?

You ask one of the people who is an administrator to change your account
(your username) so it is a member of the Administrators group. If you do
not know how to do that (nor does the person who you ask to do this) then
you are better off (both of you) not being a member of the administrators
group for your daily use of the computer and are better off using a
different administrative level account only when the need arises and
utilizing your regular accounts for daily use. (In fact - most everyone is
better off that way - just slightly more so if you do not understand the
responsibility of using a computer as an administrative user all the time.)

What is your username?

Click on the START button.
Locate and click on the RUN button.
Type in:

cmd /k set

Click OK.

When the command prompt opens, it will show a long list of "XXXXXX=XXXXXX"
things. One of the latter is "USERNAME"="XXXXXXX".. the stuff after the
equal sign is *your* username on that computer.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

dewdropmp

Re: admin
because i have to log out and go into the admin account to do any changing or
installing even though i am listed as an admin..

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> <snipped>
> (Original post was a different user, it looks like.)
>
> Shenan wrote:
> > Click on the START button.
> > Locate and click on the RUN button.
> > Type in:
> >
> > cmd /k net localgroup administrators
> >
> > Click OK.
> >
> > When the command prompt comes up and lists the members of the local
> > administrators group - do you see your username in it?

> dewdropmp wrote:
> > no i do not see my name.. it has everyone elses name and hp admin..
> > how do i change hp admin to me?

> Why would you want to change "hp admin" to you?
>
> Would that happen to be your username? Notice - I asked if you saw your
> *username* in the list - not your name. They are not necessarily the same
> thing.
>
> Are you asking how you become an administrator?
>
> You ask one of the people who is an administrator to change your account
> (your username) so it is a member of the Administrators group. If you do
> not know how to do that (nor does the person who you ask to do this) then
> you are better off (both of you) not being a member of the administrators
> group for your daily use of the computer and are better off using a
> different administrative level account only when the need arises and
> utilizing your regular accounts for daily use. (In fact - most everyone is
> better off that way - just slightly more so if you do not understand the
> responsibility of using a computer as an administrative user all the time.)
>
> What is your username?
>
> Click on the START button.
> Locate and click on the RUN button.
> Type in:
>
> cmd /k set
>
> Click OK.
>
> When the command prompt opens, it will show a long list of "XXXXXX=XXXXXX"
> things. One of the latter is "USERNAME"="XXXXXXX".. the stuff after the
> equal sign is *your* username on that computer.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

dewdropmp

Re: admin
next to hp admin it has my user name.. but when i try to do anything like
direct downloads from microsoft it tells me that i need to be admin to do
so.. i am only user of pc.. all started when i upgraded to windows vista
ultimate... never had trouble before.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> <snipped>
> (Original post was a different user, it looks like.)
>
> Shenan wrote:
> > Click on the START button.
> > Locate and click on the RUN button.
> > Type in:
> >
> > cmd /k net localgroup administrators
> >
> > Click OK.
> >
> > When the command prompt comes up and lists the members of the local
> > administrators group - do you see your username in it?

> dewdropmp wrote:
> > no i do not see my name.. it has everyone elses name and hp admin..
> > how do i change hp admin to me?

> Why would you want to change "hp admin" to you?
>
> Would that happen to be your username? Notice - I asked if you saw your
> *username* in the list - not your name. They are not necessarily the same
> thing.
>
> Are you asking how you become an administrator?
>
> You ask one of the people who is an administrator to change your account
> (your username) so it is a member of the Administrators group. If you do
> not know how to do that (nor does the person who you ask to do this) then
> you are better off (both of you) not being a member of the administrators
> group for your daily use of the computer and are better off using a
> different administrative level account only when the need arises and
> utilizing your regular accounts for daily use. (In fact - most everyone is
> better off that way - just slightly more so if you do not understand the
> responsibility of using a computer as an administrative user all the time.)
>
> What is your username?
>
> Click on the START button.
> Locate and click on the RUN button.
> Type in:
>
> cmd /k set
>
> Click OK.
>
> When the command prompt opens, it will show a long list of "XXXXXX=XXXXXX"
> things. One of the latter is "USERNAME"="XXXXXXX".. the stuff after the
> equal sign is *your* username on that computer.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

dewdropmp

Re: admin
and i told you wrong next to hp admin it does not have my user name
it has administrator, cynthia, hp administrator.. and that is all.. my user
name not here.. but in computer settings.. it has my name next to hp admin.

dewdropmp wrote:
> next to hp admin it has my user name.. but when i try to do
> anything like direct downloads from microsoft it tells me that i
> need to be admin to do so.. i am only user of pc.. all started when
> i upgraded to windows vista ultimate... never had trouble before.

You have Windows Vista?!
And you 'upgraded' to that - from what?

You did not think that important to mention? heh

I believe you had better start from the beginning. Explain in detail what
you had before the problem, what you did and then when you noticed the issue
and some specifics. Windows Vista is a whole different thing than Windows
XP - and if you try to install on Windows Vista, etc - it *should* be
bugging you a lot about it and allowing you to run as administrator, etc.

Without details - this will be all but impossible to fix - so be as detailed
as plausible.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

dewdropmp

Re: admin
This is the eror message i get when trying to do microsoft update from
site: