XP SP-3

d-driver

XP SP-3
I tried to update my laptop (3 yrs old) that has windows XP Pro w/ SP-2,
with the SP-3, I have a 60 gb HD with over 30 gigs space available, it
started dwnldng and I got a 2nd window to clk and it was ckng files and other
items on the drive, about 10mns into this a blue screen pops up saying failed
error, to ck all sorts of things or try to reinstall, I did this 3 times and
each time after about 10-15mns I get this screen.

I ckd online and it said to disable my virus program and firewall, the
reasnon I tried to update my laptop in case of problems it would show up
there before I try to update SP-3 on my desktop. The desktop was built new in
Nov. after my 3 yr old one shorted out, I have (2) 500gb sata drives, (1) 750
sata drive used as a backup drive and for games & etc. I have 4 gig ram, a
$500.00 video card I won last yr from pc gamer, anyway all my past programs
and files are on this computer and I didn't want to do an update before I see
if it works.

I couldn't find a CD for sale from microsoft with the complete SP-3 on it,
only a patch, the way they described to save so you can make a copy is really
complicated, I konw a lot of you helped me in the past with an IE-7.0 problem
which after 2 weeks finally got it working right again, thanks

--
d-driver

Re: XP SP-3
Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

What did the error message say?

(if any)?

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
[http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]

WinXP SP3 installation fails with an error message, and the following error
is logged in the service pack installation log: "8007F0F4 -
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Service
Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384

===================================

<IMHO>
Temporarily disable all real-time protections afforded by your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications, and any third-party firewall
prior to installing SP3. If you disable a third-party firewall, make sure
you then enable the Windows Firewall: The machine should not be connected to
the internet without an active firewall.

NB ZA Free users: Uninstall ZA Free via Add/Remove Programs and enable the
Windows Firewall before installing SP3.

After installing SP3 /and rebooting twice/, check to make sure your
real-time protections have been re-enabled; If you disabled a third-party
firewall, remember to re-enable it and disable the Windows Firewall.
</IMHO>

=================

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

d-driver wrote:
> I tried to update my laptop (3 yrs old) that has windows XP Pro w/ SP-2,
> with the SP-3, I have a 60 gb HD with over 30 gigs space available, it
> started dwnldng and I got a 2nd window to clk and it was ckng files and
> other items on the drive, about 10mns into this a blue screen pops up
> saying failed error, to ck all sorts of things or try to reinstall, I did
> this 3 times and each time after about 10-15mns I get this screen.
>
> I ckd online and it said to disable my virus program and firewall, the
> reasnon I tried to update my laptop in case of problems it would show up
> there before I try to update SP-3 on my desktop. The desktop was built new
> in Nov. after my 3 yr old one shorted out, I have (2) 500gb sata drives,
> (1) 750 sata drive used as a backup drive and for games & etc. I have 4
> gig
> ram, a $500.00 video card I won last yr from pc gamer, anyway all my past
> programs and files are on this computer and I didn't want to do an update
> before I see if it works.
>
> I couldn't find a CD for sale from microsoft with the complete SP-3 on it,
> only a patch, the way they described to save so you can make a copy is
> really complicated, I konw a lot of you helped me in the past with an
> IE-7.0 problem which after 2 weeks finally got it working right again,
> thanks

d-driver

Re: XP SP-3
I'm using the update download on the update page, I have Norton Anti-Virus &
Zone Alarm firewall, the msg says ck for HD space, ck bios, service did not
complete, it mentioned a lot of things to ck, it also said to try to
reinstall, like I mentioned I want to try to install on my laptop first
before I install on the desktop.

Should I disable the anti virus and firewall and try again, this was
mentioned in the support section??? and try again
--
d-driver

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I ckd online and it said to disable my virus program and firewall, the
> > reasnon I tried to update my laptop in case of problems it would show up
> > there before I try to update SP-3 on my desktop. The desktop was built new
> > in Nov. after my 3 yr old one shorted out, I have (2) 500gb sata drives,
> > (1) 750 sata drive used as a backup drive and for games & etc. I have 4
> > gig
> > ram, a $500.00 video card I won last yr from pc gamer, anyway all my past
> > programs and files are on this computer and I didn't want to do an update
> > before I see if it works.
> >
> > I couldn't find a CD for sale from microsoft with the complete SP-3 on it,
> > only a patch, the way they described to save so you can make a copy is
> > really complicated, I konw a lot of you helped me in the past with an
> > IE-7.0 problem which after 2 weeks finally got it working right again,

ANONYMOUS

Re: XP SP-3
You need to download a full-file version from here and then install it
in safe mode. It is completely stupid to go online with your Firewall,
anti-virus and anti-spyware programs switched off.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en>

hth