Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424

Sidharth Modi

Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424
I have 3 Windows Vista Home Premium Updates Pending from June 2008 to be
installed, they are Namely

1> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
(KB950759)

2> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB950762)

3> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB951376)

Windows has already downloaded them and asks the PC to be restarted and at
every restart, it displays that the updates were not configured properly and
will be tried at the startup. While in the startup too the installation
fails. So I downloaded the updates and tried to install the update but
without success. The Error code it displays is 0x80070424 (Manual Update
Installation) and error code 0x80070005 (Automatic Update Installation).

TaurArian

Re: Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424
Install/reinstall Windows Update Client

x86-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe package now.

x64-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe package now.

Please see if installing the 3.0 client resolves the problem.

If you require more information:

A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

Another thing you can try is resetting the security settings back to the defaults:

How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Sidharth Modi" <sidharth0384@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
|I have 3 Windows Vista Home Premium Updates Pending from June 2008 to be
| installed, they are Namely
|
| 1> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
| (KB950759)
|
| 2> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB950762)
|
| 3> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB951376)
|
| Windows has already downloaded them and asks the PC to be restarted and at
| every restart, it displays that the updates were not configured properly and
| will be tried at the startup. While in the startup too the installation
| fails. So I downloaded the updates and tried to install the update but
| without success. The Error code it displays is 0x80070424 (Manual Update
| Installation) and error code 0x80070005 (Automatic Update Installation).

Sidharth Modi

Re: Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424
Hi,
None of the below methods worked for me.

Sincerely

Sidharth M Modi

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Install/reinstall Windows Update Client
>
> x86-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe package now.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
>
> x64-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe package now.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91238
>
> Please see if installing the 3.0 client resolves the problem.
>
> If you require more information:
>
> A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
>
> Another thing you can try is resetting the security settings back to the defaults:
>
> How to reset security settings back to the defaults
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Sidharth Modi" <sidharth0384@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> |I have 3 Windows Vista Home Premium Updates Pending from June 2008 to be
> | installed, they are Namely
> |
> | 1> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
> | (KB950759)
> |
> | 2> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB950762)
> |
> | 3> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB951376)
> |
> | Windows has already downloaded them and asks the PC to be restarted and at
> | every restart, it displays that the updates were not configured properly and
> | will be tried at the startup. While in the startup too the installation
> | fails. So I downloaded the updates and tried to install the update but
> | without success. The Error code it displays is 0x80070424 (Manual Update
> | Installation) and error code 0x80070005 (Automatic Update Installation).

TaurArian

Re: Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424
Only other suggestion - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

| Hi,
| None of the below methods worked for me.
|

| Sincerely
|

| Sidharth M Modi
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Install/reinstall Windows Update Client
| >
| > x86-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe package now.
| > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
| >
| > x64-based versions of Windows - download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe package now.
| > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91238
| >
| > Please see if installing the 3.0 client resolves the problem.
| >
| > If you require more information:
| >
| > A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
| >
| > Another thing you can try is resetting the security settings back to the defaults:
| >
| > How to reset security settings back to the defaults
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
| >
| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "Sidharth Modi" <sidharth0384@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
| > |I have 3 Windows Vista Home Premium Updates Pending from June 2008 to be
| > | installed, they are Namely
| > |
| > | 1> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
| > | (KB950759)
| > |
| > | 2> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB950762)
| > |
| > | 3> Security Update for Windows Vista (KB951376)
| > |
| > | Windows has already downloaded them and asks the PC to be restarted and at
| > | every restart, it displays that the updates were not configured properly and
| > | will be tried at the startup. While in the startup too the installation
| > | fails. So I downloaded the updates and tried to install the update but
| > | without success. The Error code it displays is 0x80070424 (Manual Update
| > | Installation) and error code 0x80070005 (Automatic Update Installation).
| > |
| > |

SLS

RE: Windows Vista Automatic Update Error Code 0x80070424
I have exactly the same problem with my Home Premium Vista, however I was
able to download and install the Security Updates for Vista manually so the
problem now is only with IE's KB950759.

It looks like MS people only suggest filing an incident request, but if they
knew the solution they'd have posted it here. So I don't see the point.

Meanwhile the only workaround I can think off is to install FireFox 3 as IE
is not safe any more. I hope MS will have this issue resolved soon. It's
interesting that most of reports are from XP users, probably this is because
XP is still much more popular then Vista.