Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error

John Campbell

Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error
Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install
update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is on,
this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the file and
running the install manually to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Re: Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error
Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 currently? <=just a question, not a
recommendation!

(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John Campbell wrote:
> Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install
> update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is
> on, this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the file
> and
> running the install manually to no avail.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"John Campbell" <John Campbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install
> update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is on,
> this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the file and
> running the install manually to no avail.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using Vista x64 on an AMD chip too?

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...ws-update.aspx

(Live Search for
8e5e03FB (MSFT OR MVP)
)

Is it from HP?

There is a known problem with that configuration for XPsp3.
Don't know about Vista SP1... ; )

In any case I suggest you try some diagnosis.
E.g. find all files which were changed by the update
which contain that error code and then find the context
that it occurs in. Frequently the reported code isn't the
most important symptom found that way anyway.

> Thanks,
>
> John

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

John Campbell

RE: Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error
Hi again,

This is Vista 32 bit, no SP1 but with many cumulative patches through
automatic download.

I am running on an Intel Core2 Duo Chip, NVIDIA SLI chipset, Raid 0 config
AntiVirus/firewall suite is trend micro, though have tried the process of
turning this off.

I 'think' I need this patch in order to get SP1 down to my machine. No other
patch appears to have this problem (just an FYI). As I am writing this, I'm
not sure if SP1 would have been automatically downloaded, but I don't
remember seeing it come down.

Thanks for any further thoughts,

John

"John Campbell" wrote:

> Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install
> update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is on,
> this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the file and
> running the install manually to no avail.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Re: Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error
Yes, KB938371 is one of three Prerequisites for installing Vista SP1.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything useful regarding the 8E5E03FB error
(only posts from others who've received it), so I'd recommend that you avail
yourself of the...

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Let us know how you make out, please.

John Campbell wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> This is Vista 32 bit, no SP1 but with many cumulative patches through
> automatic download.
>
> I am running on an Intel Core2 Duo Chip, NVIDIA SLI chipset, Raid 0 config
> AntiVirus/firewall suite is trend micro, though have tried the process of
> turning this off.
>
> I 'think' I need this patch in order to get SP1 down to my machine. No
> other
> patch appears to have this problem (just an FYI). As I am writing this,
> I'm
> not sure if SP1 would have been automatically downloaded, but I don't
> remember seeing it come down.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 currently? <=just a question, not a
> recommendation!
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall
> (if any)?

</paste>

> "John Campbell" wrote:
>> Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install
>> update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is
>> on, this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the file
>> and running the install manually to no avail.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John

Robert Aldwinckle

> Hi again,
>
> This is Vista 32 bit, no SP1 but with many cumulative patches through
> automatic download.
>
> I am running on an Intel Core2 Duo Chip, NVIDIA SLI chipset, Raid 0 config
> AntiVirus/firewall suite is trend micro, though have tried the process of
> turning this off.
>
> I 'think' I need this patch in order to get SP1 down to my machine. No other
> patch appears to have this problem (just an FYI). As I am writing this, I'm
> not sure if SP1 would have been automatically downloaded, but I don't
> remember seeing it come down.
>
> Thanks for any further thoughts,

Please do a search of all files that the update changed
looking for that code. Find the code's context in any diagnostics
that the install is creating.

---