Error Code: 0xD0000005 installing Win. XP Service Pack 2

Cheryl

Error Code: 0xD0000005 installing Win. XP Service Pack 2
Hello,
I am trying to install Service Pack 2 on a home pc. I received the above
error. I checked the forums and there are too many answers and I do not know
what to do first. I know I am very late installing this software. Can anyone
advise what to do first? I don't know if it is a network problem, virus
software or registry issue, or something else.

My daughter has the new ipod Nano and can't download music unless we have
the latest iTunes, which requires Service Pack 2. Please advise. Thank you.
Cheryl
Maurice N ~ MVP

Re: Error Code: 0xD0000005 installing Win. XP Service Pack 2
Hello Cheryl,

See MS Knowledge Base article 949377
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

For pre and post service pack installation guidelines, see this page at AumHa.org
WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2 FAQs & BEST PRACTICES
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
While the title and notes refer to SP2, it generally applies to SP3 as well.

I see you mention getting service pack 2. You may as well go with service pack 3 directly, since SP3 is cumulative, and includes all fixes from prior service packs.

If in any way you suspect a malware problem, make sure you have done complete virus and malware checks beforehand.
Pre-Installation Recommendations
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=7260

--
Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Windows Client) , Aumha.net VSOP , DTS-L

"Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F8405CC-093E-4561-BDBE-1B3F8D382641@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am trying to install Service Pack 2 on a home pc. I received the above
> error. I checked the forums and there are too many answers and I do not know
> what to do first. I know I am very late installing this software. Can anyone
> advise what to do first? I don't know if it is a network problem, virus
> software or registry issue, or something else.
>
> My daughter has the new ipod Nano and can't download music unless we have
> the latest iTunes, which requires Service Pack 2. Please advise. Thank you.
> Cheryl

WJ

RE: Error Code: 0xD0000005 installing Win. XP Service Pack 2
Cheryl I am no expert. But loooked around tried most of the suggestions and
then I
thought of downloading SP3 to My Documents restarting in Safe Mode and then
installing from the SP3/My Document File. It installed fine and appears to be
working fine.

WJ