AUTOMATIC RESTART CAN BE DANGEROUS

Zora

AUTOMATIC RESTART CAN BE DANGEROUS
I would VERY strongly suggest that the installation process for updates be
amended so that a machine NEVER restarts when the user has told it to SHUT
DOWN. This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and scorch
the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside the
case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
wiser, was in transit.

I blame the updates because the last thing it did before I shut it down
today was install updates - it did so automatically and then restarted once,
without permission. I shut it down again but can only assume it booted again
as part of the update process - after the lights had gone out leading me to
beleive the power was safely OFF.

If I could find a way to make a formal complaint and sue for replacement of
the laptop, believe me I would. Very frightening experience.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate
John

Re: AUTOMATIC RESTART CAN BE DANGEROUS
I don't recall seeing "Install Updates and RESTART" as one of the options
when shutting down WinXP (assuming you have WinXP). There's, however,
"Install Updates and SHUTDOWN" option.

I'm guessing there's a bug because I've seen this before when I manually
installed WinXP SP3 (over Remote Desktop). At the end of installation, I
clicked Restart button. My RD session got disconnected. I went over to the
desktop PC to see what is going on. It looks like Windows XP is doing its
shutdown routine. The screen blanked out for a few seconds, then came back
to the logon prompt. The machine did not restart at all (I've confirmed it
by checking the Event Logs). There's no entry in the log that indicates the
PC shuts off.

The following System Event ID doesn't exist in the log:
Event ID: 6006 - Decription: The Event log service was stopped

"Zora" <Zora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would VERY strongly suggest that the installation process for updates be
> amended so that a machine NEVER restarts when the user has told it to SHUT
> DOWN. This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and
> scorch
> the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside
> the
> case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
> wiser, was in transit.
>
> I blame the updates because the last thing it did before I shut it down
> today was install updates - it did so automatically and then restarted
> once,
> without permission. I shut it down again but can only assume it booted
> again
> as part of the update process - after the lights had gone out leading me
> beleive the power was safely OFF.
>
> If I could find a way to make a formal complaint and sue for replacement
> of
> the laptop, believe me I would. Very frightening experience.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....windowsupdate

VanguardLH

Re: AUTOMATIC RESTART CAN BE DANGEROUS
"Zora" wrote in

> I would VERY strongly suggest that the installation process for updates be
> amended so that a machine NEVER restarts when the user has told it to SHUT
> DOWN. This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and scorch
> the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside the
> case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
> wiser, was in transit.

If your hardware is getting so hot that it can destroy itself then the
problem is with your hardware.

How long have you been using any version of Windows? And still you have
no clue what the word "Restart" means when it PROMPTS you as to whether
or not you want to restart your host?

Your ignorance is not someone else's responsibility. Now contact a
lawyer to sue the hammer manufacturer for hitting yourself in your eye
on the backswing.
Tom22

Re: AUTOMATIC RESTART CAN BE DANGEROUS
Your tome is unprofessional and your accusations liabous.
Had you bothered to read carefully, you will see that:
1) Updates were installed
2) The computer DID restart
3) AFTER it restarted, he turned it off
4) The computer AGAIN restarted: ie. it rebooted two times.
5) The flaw is in the software.
6) Small calims court may be the best way to resolve the issue of damages.

Have a nice day.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> "Zora" wrote in
>
> > I would VERY strongly suggest that the installation process for updates be
> > amended so that a machine NEVER restarts when the user has told it to SHUT
> > DOWN. This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and scorch
> > the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside the
> > case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
> > wiser, was in transit.

> If your hardware is getting so hot that it can destroy itself then the
> problem is with your hardware.
>
> How long have you been using any version of Windows? And still you have
> no clue what the word "Restart" means when it PROMPTS you as to whether
> or not you want to restart your host?
>
> Your ignorance is not someone else's responsibility. Now contact a
> lawyer to sue the hammer manufacturer for hitting yourself in your eye
> on the backswing.

Alias

Zora wrote:
> I would VERY strongly suggest that the installation process for updates be
> amended so that a machine NEVER restarts when the user has told it to SHUT
> DOWN. This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and scorch
> the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside the
> case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
> wiser, was in transit.
>
> I blame the updates because the last thing it did before I shut it down
> today was install updates - it did so automatically and then restarted once,
> without permission. I shut it down again but can only assume it booted again
> as part of the update process - after the lights had gone out leading me to
> beleive the power was safely OFF.
>
> If I could find a way to make a formal complaint and sue for replacement of
> the laptop, believe me I would. Very frightening experience.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

This is why updates should be done manually while you're doing nothing
else. I set mine to inform but not download or install. I suggest you do
the same and take the process of installing updates seriously. Why MS
has updates installed automatically and tells you that you can continue
doing work while they install is beyond me because one should *never* do
that. One should also disable one's AV before installing updates or
*anything* else.

Alias
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Zora wrote:

> [...] This morning my laptop became hot enough to destroy itself and scorch
> the inside of my suitcase, after I shut it down and it restarted inside the
> case, and then ran in that enclosed space for 2 hours while I, none the
> wiser, was in transit.
>
> I blame the updates because the last thing it did before I shut it down
> today was install updates - it did so automatically and then restarted once,
> without permission. I shut it down again but can only assume it booted again
> as part of the update process - after the lights had gone out leading me to
> beleive the power was safely OFF.

If the power light went out, and didn't come back on almost immediately, there's
no way this could be a software problem.

Most likely the power button got knocked somehow in transit; less likely you
might have had the laptop BIOS configured to automatically start up at a given
time; even less likely it could have been a failure in the laptop's power
control system.

Harry.