Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site

maureen

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
when I got to the Windows Update site I keep getting this messege
"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
http://www.update.microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?In=en.us."
Operation aborted. and I have to ok it. after doing this if i click on the
Microsoft Update Home in the left hand panel it allows me to search. This
happened
before and after installing SP3. I do have Automatic Updates turned on but
sometimes
I still like to search manually. I have XP Home edition.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
"maureen" <maureen@cassidy52.orangehome.co.uk> wrote in message
> when I got to the Windows Update site I keep getting this messege
> "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
> http://www.update.microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?In=en.us."
> Operation aborted. and I have to ok it.

Did you copy that link from somewhere or is that a typo you made?

Also tell us what you are doing to initiate this procedure.

FWIW when I use IE7's Tools menu (Alt-T,U) I get redirected to

http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr....aspx?ln=en-us

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> after doing this if i click on the
> Microsoft Update Home in the left hand panel it allows me to search. This happened
> before and after installing SP3. I do have Automatic Updates turned on but sometimes
> I still like to search manually. I have XP Home edition.

maureen

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
Yes sorry it was a typo, your link was the correct one.
When I click on the (correct) link the page displays for 30 seconds or so,
and then I get
the messege box saying cannot open etc which I have to ok. When I have ok'd
it the right hand side of the page says Internet Explorer cannot display the
webpage, but the left hand pane stays and I can click on Micrsoft Update
Home which then takes me to the page where I can search for updates. I hope
that makes it a bit clearer. I have IE7.

> "maureen" <maureen@cassidy52.orangehome.co.uk> wrote in message
>> when I got to the Windows Update site I keep getting this messege
>> "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
>> http://www.update.microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?In=en.us."
>> Operation aborted. and I have to ok it.

> Did you copy that link from somewhere or is that a typo you made?
>
> Also tell us what you are doing to initiate this procedure.
>
> FWIW when I use IE7's Tools menu (Alt-T,U) I get redirected to
>
> http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr....aspx?ln=en-us
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

>> after doing this if i click on the
>> Microsoft Update Home in the left hand panel it allows me to search. This
>> happened
>> before and after installing SP3. I do have Automatic Updates turned on
>> but sometimes
>> I still like to search manually. I have XP Home edition.

Trevor Knight

RE: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
Hi Maureen,
I have been having the same problem since June 08
and I have to click ok then refresh the screen and my MSN Hotmail emails are
accessable.
Did you find out what is causing this problem?
Thanks,
Trevor

"maureen" wrote:

> when I got to the Windows Update site I keep getting this messege
> "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
> http://www.update.microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?In=en.us."
> Operation aborted. and I have to ok it. after doing this if i click on the
> Microsoft Update Home in the left hand panel it allows me to search. This
> happened
> before and after installing SP3. I do have Automatic Updates turned on but
> sometimes
> I still like to search manually. I have XP Home edition.

Meg

"Trevor Knight" wrote:

> Hi Maureen,
> I have been having the same problem since June 08
> and I have to click ok then refresh the screen and my MSN Hotmail emails are
> accessable.
> Did you find out what is causing this problem?
> Thanks,
> Trevor
>
> "maureen" wrote:
>
> > when I got to the Windows Update site I keep getting this messege
> > "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
> > http://www.update.microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?In=en.us."
> > Operation aborted. and I have to ok it. after doing this if i click on the
> > Microsoft Update Home in the left hand panel it allows me to search. This
> > happened
> > before and after installing SP3. I do have Automatic Updates turned on but
> > sometimes
> > I still like to search manually. I have XP Home edition.
> >

> > I am at my WiTS end and beyond. I can not open any sites without IE sending me to only URLS. Running Windows XP SP3. Am also encountering additional Microsoft Problems and they admitted yes there problem however will not lift a finger to assist in Repair unless I pay them for there BOTCH UP. I have lost skins to music, when turn on PC == Have a long list of messages and have to hit F1 to get my settiings in order === manually use the Monitor to get my Menui Bar at the bottom right with the use of the Monitor and to log off again need to make use of the Monitor to switch to another screen. Microsoft told me yes problem will not assist me in repair unless I pay them. I have sent at least 45 emails out only to be patronized brushed off and no replies. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone please email me and let me know it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED thank you all very much.

Whyme

RE: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site
Hi Kid -
I had exactly the same problem. I couldn't fault the effort Microsoft Help
and Support put into resolving the issue, but in the end we found the
solution to be a simple one :

The trouble appears to have been caused by the address bar having to
re-route to get to it's destination - there is a split-second delay between
when the address bar reads

http:update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx? and
/ln=en-us.

Close the Operation Aborted window / OK / and once the correct page appears
drag the http address icon to the desk top (or start menu) and save this as
the new link to the update site.

The address is then targeted in the one action.

Cheers.