aWindows Sevice Pack 3 Failure

Mcintyre263

aWindows Sevice Pack 3 Failure
I reset the subinacl.zip as Microsoft told me and I still get access denied
when trying to install the Service Pack.

I did note that in C:\documents and settings\brebre and C:\documents and
settings\Matt that access is denied to me.

There is several user accounts on this computer and I change the type of
accout so that only myself is administrator.

Would love to be able to get this update. By the way ohter updates have all
loaded fine.
Shenan Stanley

Re: aWindows Sevice Pack 3 Failure
Mcintyre263 wrote:
> I reset the subinacl.zip as Microsoft told me and I still get
> access denied when trying to install the Service Pack.
>
> I did note that in C:\documents and settings\brebre and
> C:\documents and settings\Matt that access is denied to me.
>
> There is several user accounts on this computer and I change the
> type of accout so that only myself is administrator.
>
> Would love to be able to get this update. By the way ohter updates
> have all loaded fine.

You... "reset the subinacl.zip"...? I have no idea what that means - it
only vaguely seems to point towards some directions you could have
followed...

What exactly did you do? Was it:

Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

You look like someone I responded to earlier - but if that was so - I would
have assumed you owuld have continued in the same conversation thread and
not started a new posting...

You installed "subinacl", you copy and pasted the script into notepad and
saved it as directed... And ran it as an administrator. It would have taken
some time. After it was done, you rebooted and tried to install SP3?

Have you tried downloading the stand-alone file for SP3? Tried to install
it from that?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Mcintyre263

Re: aWindows Sevice Pack 3 Failure
man named Chris Yuan from Mocrosoft Support said to download an attachment
and ru it. It was the reset_ suinacl.zip. I did that then he said download
the service pack and save it to c:\ then install it from safe mode. Ii could
not find it when I went to safe mode.

I have done system restore that Microsoft suggested and reset the download
driver (I think) that is what it was.
Then tried again after rebooting to download and install the service pack
again. Itm gets to doing something with the registry and then stops and says
access denied.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Mcintyre263 wrote:
> > I reset the subinacl.zip as Microsoft told me and I still get
> > access denied when trying to install the Service Pack.
> >
> > I did note that in C:\documents and settings\brebre and
> > C:\documents and settings\Matt that access is denied to me.
> >
> > There is several user accounts on this computer and I change the
> > type of accout so that only myself is administrator.
> >
> > Would love to be able to get this update. By the way ohter updates
> > have all loaded fine.

> You... "reset the subinacl.zip"...? I have no idea what that means - it
> only vaguely seems to point towards some directions you could have
> followed...
>
> What exactly did you do? Was it:
>
> Method 3 of this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> You look like someone I responded to earlier - but if that was so - I would
> have assumed you owuld have continued in the same conversation thread and
> not started a new posting...
>
> You installed "subinacl", you copy and pasted the script into notepad and
> saved it as directed... And ran it as an administrator. It would have taken
> some time. After it was done, you rebooted and tried to install SP3?
>

> Have you tried downloading the stand-alone file for SP3? Tried to install
> it from that?
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
> and Developers
>
> A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Mcintyre263

RE: aWindows Sevice Pack 3 Failure
Just wanted to let you know that I finally got this update. Found out that I
had not totally reset the subincl. Thanks for helping.

Mcintyre263 wrote:
> Just wanted to let you know that I finally got this update. Found
> out that I had not totally reset the subincl. Thanks for helping.

For those whom might find this in some future search for installing Service
Pack 3 (SP3) onto Windows XP and receiving the access denied message, what
Mcintyre263 is referring to is Method 3 from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Where you download and install subinacl on your own computer and then
copy/past a script into notepad and save it as a specific name and then run
that script you created. You are using subinacl to reset permissions on
various things (you are *not* "resetting the subinacl"... *grin*)

1. Download and then install the Subinacl.exe file. To do this, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:

2. Start Notepad.

3.Copy and then paste the following text (7 total lines - your newsreader
might word-wrap) into Notepad.

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose

4. Save this Notepad file as Reset.cmd.

5. Double-click the Reset.cmd file to run the script.
Note: This script file may take a long time to run. Additionally, you have
to run this script as an administrator.

6. Install Windows XP SP3.

--
Shenan Stanley