UPDATE problems

bb

UPDATE problems
I have xp home, sp3..all i did was attempt to update the 7 updates, updater
just sat there, eventually failed..now, i cannot even get past the updater on
windows website...tells me there is a missing file or something...The website
has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.
This is nuts...i didn't do a thing but try to download the stinking updates!
HELP
Shenan Stanley

Re: UPDATE problems
bb wrote:
> I have xp home, sp3..all i did was attempt to update the 7 updates,
> updater just sat there, eventually failed..now, i cannot even get
> past the updater on windows website...tells me there is a missing
> file or something...The website has encountered a problem and
> cannot display the page you are trying to view. This is nuts...i
> didn't do a thing but try to download the stinking updates! HELP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

If both of those methods fail...
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
Get the tool and run it and then try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

bb

Re: UPDATE problems
On the Method 2, which updater do I select?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> bb wrote:
> > I have xp home, sp3..all i did was attempt to update the 7 updates,
> > updater just sat there, eventually failed..now, i cannot even get
> > past the updater on windows website...tells me there is a missing
> > file or something...The website has encountered a problem and
> > cannot display the page you are trying to view. This is nuts...i
> > didn't do a thing but try to download the stinking updates! HELP

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> Try method 1 and try to update*.
> If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.
>
> If both of those methods fail...
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
> Get the tool and run it and then try to update*.
>
> *try to update:
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
> - If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
> or "Express" - do so.
> - Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
> - Scan for updates.
> - When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
> - You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
> avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan Stanley

Re: UPDATE problems
<snipped>

bb wrote:
> On the Method 2, which updater do I select?

90% chance - x86.
(You are unlikely to have a 64 bit system or itanium - you'd know.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

bb

Re: UPDATE problems
Nothing has helped.
I ran that updater. Still getting message when I go to update:

[Error number: 0x8007041D]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

bb wrote:
> Nothing has helped.
> I ran that updater. Still getting message when I go to update:

Did you try the second tool (not the second method of the first link)?