wininet.dll problem, Internet Options N/A, Media Player doesn't wo

SirWilly77

wininet.dll problem, Internet Options N/A, Media Player doesn't wo
Right before going to bed last night, I installed the new updates and shut
off the computer. When I turned it on this morning, the computer wouldn't
load anything and showed only my wallpaper, no icons, and the error message
saying that wininet.dll was missing. I was able to open Opera through Task
Manager, found the dll file online, and pasted it to the Systems32 folder.
Rebooted, everything looked fine. BUT...now I can't access my Internet
Options. When I try, I get an error message saying "This operation has been
cancelled due to restrictions on this computer". Adding to the joy, when I
try to play ANY file in Media Player, it says it can't open the file (worked
fine last night). And last, but not least, when I go to the Windows Update
site, it won't load the page and says Error number: 0x8007007E. To say that
I'm frustrated with things is an understatement.
TaurArian

RE: wininet.dll problem, Internet Options N/A, Media Player doesn't wo
You might have some file corruption.

1. Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831429
and/or
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914232
You may receive error code 0x80004005 or other error codes when you try to
start a Windows XP-based computer
0x80004005
0x80090006
0x8009001d
0x80070002
0x8007007f
0x8007007e
0x800705aa
0x8007007e
0x800405aa
0x80090019
0x800703e7

Kaylene
--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"SirWilly77" wrote:

> Right before going to bed last night, I installed the new updates and shut
> off the computer. When I turned it on this morning, the computer wouldn't
> load anything and showed only my wallpaper, no icons, and the error message
> saying that wininet.dll was missing. I was able to open Opera through Task
> Manager, found the dll file online, and pasted it to the Systems32 folder.
> Rebooted, everything looked fine. BUT...now I can't access my Internet
> Options. When I try, I get an error message saying "This operation has been
> cancelled due to restrictions on this computer". Adding to the joy, when I
> try to play ANY file in Media Player, it says it can't open the file (worked
> fine last night). And last, but not least, when I go to the Windows Update
> site, it won't load the page and says Error number: 0x8007007E. To say that
> I'm frustrated with things is an understatement.

Engel

RE: wininet.dll problem, Internet Options N/A, Media Player doesn't wo
Hello SirWilly77,

0x8007007E
-2147024770 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND The specified module could not be found

Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831429>

or

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914232>

Good luck