Unwanted Stuff After Install SP3

GaryG

Unwanted Stuff After Install SP3
Silly me. Microsoft Update suggested I install SP3 on my SP2 system and I
actually did it. Now I get the unwanted "specify user" dialog when I boot.
How can I get rid of that (I did it once, long ago)?

Or maybe even better - what's the easiest way to restore to SP2? I've been
installing all updates so I don't think I really need to put SP3 on. I
foolishly thought it would do something (good) for me. Arrgghh.
--
Gary
Shenan Stanley

Re: Unwanted Stuff After Install SP3
GaryG wrote:
> Silly me. Microsoft Update suggested I install SP3 on my SP2 system
> and I actually did it. Now I get the unwanted "specify user" dialog
> when I boot. How can I get rid of that (I did it once, long ago)?
>
> Or maybe even better - what's the easiest way to restore to SP2?
> I've been installing all updates so I don't think I really need to
> put SP3 on. I foolishly thought it would do something (good) for
> me. Arrgghh.

I personally believe that if the only issue you have with SP3 is that you
now have to choose a user to logon as when you power on - which is more
secure (if you also password protected them as you should) - uninstalling
it would be the unwise move.

What you seem to be describing is an automatic logon.

Automatic Logons:
------
Microsoft method:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
(Essentially the same... but different place:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/13/ )

Microsoft Method 2:
TweakUI from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

control userpasswords2 method:
1) Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
2) Type in the following:

control userpasswords2

now click OK
3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the
primary logon.
Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected
users password.
Click OK when you are done...
------

Hopefully that gets you where you are wanting to be.

It is a *good* thing in the user arena to:
1) Have strong passwords.
2) Have more than one administrator level account (with strong passwords).

As for removing Service Pack 3 - same as other applicvations and decent
installed applications: Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs...

Before you uninstall SP3 (knowing one day you will have to install it anyway
to continue receiving the latest updates) - you may want to look over these
common SP3 issues and corresponding solutions. Also - although I am sure
you stayed up to date after SP3 - you do not have the 1170+ updates it
contains ... without it anyway.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Alexander SuperTramp

"GaryG" <GaryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Silly me. Microsoft Update suggested I install SP3 on my SP2 system and I
> actually did it. Now I get the unwanted "specify user" dialog when I boot.
> How can I get rid of that (I did it once, long ago)?
>
> Or maybe even better - what's the easiest way to restore to SP2? I've been
> installing all updates so I don't think I really need to put SP3 on. I
> foolishly thought it would do something (good) for me. Arrgghh.
> --
> Gary

I had this issue as well and it was as simple as the following:
right click the desktop and choose properties this will open the display
properties dialog box, choose the screensaver tab.
Make sure the box between the drop down where you enter how many minutes and
where it says "On resume display welcome screen" is UNchecked.

Then, (under the screen saver tab as well) click "Power" in the "monitor
power" box.
choose the "Advanced" tab
Make sure the box next to "Prompt for password when computer resumes from
standby" is UNchecked.
Click "Ok"
Click "apply" on the original display properties dialog box.
That did it for me.

Best Free Stuff Steve Security News 0 03-12-2008 18:10
Can't install stuff from the internet!!! Sehr Gut microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 09-26-2007 19:20
Weird stuff going on! Senior IT Support Engineer microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 6 05-23-2007 09:05
Turning stuff off Daniel microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2007 09:13