Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???

Parkes

Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
I haven't been able to download any updates from microsoft. I've tried
starting it through the Services and changing the startup type and all, but
every time I change it to automatic or manual, it reverts back to disabled
when I click apply, then close it out and bring it back up. when i try to
update windows defender i get

Error found: Code 0x80070422

i followed all the directions to resolve this but it didnt work

maybe i need to download a driver or a missing file???

please help me figure this one out
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
And the Version of Windows is ________ ?

0x80070422 would indicate that a required service is not running or has
been disabled. It is *possible* that the issue is being caused by a
malware known as Vundo. Please scan the system with the installed
antivirus and then do an online scan ( using Internet Explorer ) here:
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php

If malware is detected, suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware
forum for further assistance. If it's not, post back here and we'll have
you run a tool to repair the AU service.
Please read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting:

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Parkes wrote:

> I haven't been able to download any updates from microsoft. I've tried
> starting it through the Services and changing the startup type and all, but
> every time I change it to automatic or manual, it reverts back to disabled
> when I click apply, then close it out and bring it back up. when i try to
> update windows defender i get
>
> Error found: Code 0x80070422
>
> i followed all the directions to resolve this but it didnt work
>
> maybe i need to download a driver or a missing file???
>
> please help me figure this one out

nips

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
i figure it out the internet explorer may be the third of that virus "vundo"
is on the list of target. technically, for the pc or the user never interact
for an update through windows security. the code can be enable only when the
pc is newly infected by running services.msc and analyse the service
concerning windows and updates on run command. but if the semptoms is maybe a
months old yet cannot repair by any utillty and antivirus and still windows
deffender is still showing the error code i suggest that backup your file anf
reformat your hard drive using DOS bootable disk.
Gunner

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
ow would one run this tool that you speakf.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> And the Version of Windows is ________ ?
>
> 0x80070422 would indicate that a required service is not running or has
> been disabled. It is *possible* that the issue is being caused by a
> malware known as Vundo. Please scan the system with the installed
> antivirus and then do an online scan ( using Internet Explorer ) here:
> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
>
> If malware is detected, suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware
> forum for further assistance. If it's not, post back here and we'll have
> you run a tool to repair the AU service.
> Please read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting:
>
> http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
> http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
> http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Parkes wrote:
>
> > I haven't been able to download any updates from microsoft. I've tried
> > starting it through the Services and changing the startup type and all, but
> > every time I change it to automatic or manual, it reverts back to disabled
> > when I click apply, then close it out and bring it back up. when i try to
> > update windows defender i get
> >
> > Error found: Code 0x80070422
> >
> > i followed all the directions to resolve this but it didnt work
> >
> > maybe i need to download a driver or a missing file???
> >
> > please help me figure this one out

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
Using Internet Explorer, go here:

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Gunner wrote:

> ow would one run this tool that you speakf.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>And the Version of Windows is ________ ?
>>
>>0x80070422 would indicate that a required service is not running or has
>>been disabled. It is *possible* that the issue is being caused by a
>>malware known as Vundo. Please scan the system with the installed
>>antivirus and then do an online scan ( using Internet Explorer ) here:
>>http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
>>
>>If malware is detected, suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware
>>forum for further assistance. If it's not, post back here and we'll have
>>you run a tool to repair the AU service.
>>Please read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting:
>>
>>http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
>>http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
>>http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
>>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
>>http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
>>http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
>>http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
>>http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============

MookBallz

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
I had all these problems: Windows Auto Update wouldn't enable in Services
(Start>Run>services.msc>Ok), and wasn't able to download them straight from
Microsoft.com. I eventually discovered that I had a Trojan Horse called Vundo
on my machine.
I was referred to MalwareBytes.org and downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
program. It scanned my machine and found things that McAfee and other
Registry cleaners couldn't....to include Vundo. I had it remove Vundo and the
others, reboot my machine, and was able to turn on Auto Updates with no
issues. Whew! I highly suggest this program. I tried all the other stuff
that I read on this forum and others, to include Windows Defender, deleting
all the WU*.dll file in the System32 folder in Safe Mode, running several
Registry cleaners, etc. A simple download of MalwareBytes took care of it.

"Gunner" wrote:

> ow would one run this tool that you speakf.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > And the Version of Windows is ________ ?
> >
> > 0x80070422 would indicate that a required service is not running or has
> > been disabled. It is *possible* that the issue is being caused by a
> > malware known as Vundo. Please scan the system with the installed
> > antivirus and then do an online scan ( using Internet Explorer ) here:
> > http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
> >
> > If malware is detected, suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware
> > forum for further assistance. If it's not, post back here and we'll have
> > you run a tool to repair the AU service.
> > Please read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting:
> >
> > http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
> > http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
> > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
> > http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
> > http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Parkes wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't been able to download any updates from microsoft. I've tried
> > > starting it through the Services and changing the startup type and all, but
> > > every time I change it to automatic or manual, it reverts back to disabled
> > > when I click apply, then close it out and bring it back up. when i try to
> > > update windows defender i get
> > >
> > > Error found: Code 0x80070422
> > >
> > > i followed all the directions to resolve this but it didnt work
> > >
> > > maybe i need to download a driver or a missing file???
> > >
> > > please help me figure this one out

rdejesuspa

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???

I got this direct from the Windows Update site:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
more quickly and without problems if the download process is
interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of
the following resources.

This fixed my issues with it... try it out...

--
rdejesuspa
rdejesuspa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90747.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
And after rebooting...?

rdejesuspa wrote:
> I got this direct from the Windows Update site:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
> services is not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
> more quickly and without problems if the download process is
> interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
> click Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of
> the following resources.
>
> This fixed my issues with it... try it out...

skaizun is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
FWIW, I'm a computer programmer with over 30 years of experience as a software engineer, and over a decade of a sideline business installing and fixing computers for home and small businesses.

For the record, I can't believe that someone in this thread actually suggested reformatting the hard drive. People like that should be kicked out of websites, like this one, for either naively giving bad advice or purposely acting like a trollish hacker/spammer/etc.

Now, onto the problem at hand: I had the same "x80070422" (which, for those not in the "know" is actually a hexadecimal number, which, IMHO, should never be displayed to users; instead, a simple English line or link should be given) problem with Defender on my Vista machine, though only well after a year since I bought the computer, and only a month since its last update (I don't believe in wasting computer processing time and power by updating every nanosecond). I tried the Help's "Repair.bat" suggestion to no avail (surprise, surprise!). Before rebooting, I decided to see if there was a virus on my system, so I ran a quick anti-virus scan on my drives, then ran Defender. After Defender completed, and while the A/V was still running, I tried to update Defender, and, lo and behold, it worked! My guess is that there's a timing glitch or physical lock, either or both of which need to be cleared, simply by running Defender, normally.

I know it has been a long time since the problem was first entered into this forum, and, hopefully, the person who initiated it has solved it on his/her own, but I also hope this will help anyone who searches the net with the same problem, as I had.
MowGreen

Re: Error codes 0x80070422 from Windows Defender???
80070422 ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
it has no enabled devices associated with it.

" Before rebooting, I decided to see if there was a virus on my system,
so I ran a quick anti-virus scan on my drives, then ran Defender. After
Defender completed, and while the A/V was still running, I tried to
update Defender, and, lo and behold, it worked! My guess is that there's
a timing glitch or physical lock, either or both of which need to be
cleared, simply by running Defender, normally. "

Running Defender as in scanning with it or attempting to update it from
within it's GUI ? Perhaps the installed AV was locking a Service that
Defender needs to update it's definitions because the AV contains an
antispyware component ?

And yes, showing Users hexadecimal messages is rather useless without
presenting methods and/or links for resolving said messages.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com