Microsoft Update Page Won't Load

technically_challenged_08

Microsoft Update Page Won't Load
I'm having a few issues with my computer at the moment that I think may all
be related somehow.

For one, the Microsoft Update page won't load... whether I try accessing it
from my menu or the internet. All I get is a white screen and it says "Done"
at the bottom.

I also can't access Microsoft Support to send them an email to ask for
assistance, which is why I'm posting a message in this forum. I get a message
saying to add Microsoft Support to the trusted sites list, which I did, but
it still won't allow me to contact them... I just keep getting that same
message over and over.

I also couldn't access this discussion group/forum properly using Internet
Explorer... I could get into the forum but I couldn't see any of the threads.
I had to switch over to Firefox to be able to see the threads and post this
message.

Some of these problems began after I tried to install service pack 3. The
files downloaded but didn't actually install... if that makes sense. I
checked the installed programs list on my computer and service pack 3 isn't
listed, but service pack 2 is. I tried to download it a few more times after
that, but nothing happened... there was no green light in the progress bar...
if that's what it's called.
I typed regsvr32 jscript.dll in the run bar and it didn't help... I think it
might have even made the problem worse. I have since tried to undo it by
typing regsvr32 /u jscript.dll.

Yesterday, I installed Norton Internet Security 2008 on my computer, and now
I'm experiencing more problems. Just like with Microsoft update, my computer
isn't allowing me to access Norton support either.

Since installing the program, I've been getting messages that say my browser
settings are not allowing for pages to be redirected, and to click on a link
provided to be redirected. I have no idea what I should change in my browser
settings to fix this problem.

The Norton Internet Security has blocked something on my computer and I'm
wondering if that might be the cause of some of these issues. I've been
trying to find the name of what has been blocked, but I can't find it at the
moment. I do remember that it said something about system32 and there were
some letters after that and then exe. It said it's function was keylogger. I
looked it up on the internet and was confused by the information I read... on
the one hand, it sounds like it's something that's supposed to be on your
computer, something helpful, but on the other hand, it sounds like it could
be something malicious as well.

I'm at a loss as what to do. Any suggestions will greatly appreciated!
Engel

RE: Microsoft Update Page Won't Load
Hope this helps:

For browser problems, see Its not always malware: How to fix the top 10
Internet Explorer issues
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/IEtopten.mspx>

How and Why to Clear Your Cache.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx>

If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be
displayed see Repair/Reset Winsock settings
<http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm>

I,m sure more knowledgable people will be along soon.

Good luck
- -- ---

mlrabq66@msn.com