Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall

jslow

Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall
Hi,

I've had a few different software problems so I uninstalled XP, SP3.
Now when I try to install Windows Updates, they will not install.

This happened on my older IBM NetVista computer running Windows XP Home
Edition.

What do I have to do to Install Windows Updates. They will download, but
they will not install.

Thanks
--
Dell 4700, WinXP SP2 Pro, 2.8 G Pentium 4, 160 G HD, 80 G Ext USB 2 HD, 512
MB RAM, IE & OE 6, NSW 2005 Premium, ZA 6.0.667.000, Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search

Re: Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jslow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a few different software problems so I uninstalled XP, SP3.
> Now when I try to install Windows Updates, they will not install.
>
> This happened on my older IBM NetVista computer running Windows XP Home
> Edition.
>
> What do I have to do to Install Windows Updates. They will download, but
> they will not install.
>
> Thanks

Shenan Stanley

jslow wrote:
> I've had a few different software problems so I uninstalled XP, SP3.
> Now when I try to install Windows Updates, they will not install.
>
> This happened on my older IBM NetVista computer running Windows XP
> Home Edition.
>
> What do I have to do to Install Windows Updates. They will
> download, but they will not install.

A short search likely would have come up with the following answer to your
issue...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

If both of those methods fail...
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
Get the tool and run it and then try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.**
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

** If it suggests SP3 - do not do that at this point. Choose to look for
"Other" updates.

Now - after you have your updates done (other than SP3) - you may want to
check the other software vendors for updates to their software and hardware
vendors for updates to the drivers for your hardware and reconsider
installing SP3. If so - I have some things you will want to look over
first...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Good luck!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

jslow

RE: Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Method 1 in Microsoft's Article ID: 943144 solved
the problem and allowed me to install all of the updates.

Thank again
--

"jslow" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a few different software problems so I uninstalled XP, SP3.
> Now when I try to install Windows Updates, they will not install.
>
> This happened on my older IBM NetVista computer running Windows XP Home
> Edition.
>
> What do I have to do to Install Windows Updates. They will download, but
> they will not install.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Dell 4700, WinXP SP2 Pro, 2.8 G Pentium 4, 160 G HD, 80 G Ext USB 2 HD, 512
> MB RAM, IE & OE 6, NSW 2005 Premium, ZA 6.0.667.000, Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search
> & Destroy 1.3, Spyware Blaster, MS AntiSpyware

therese meyers

Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall -Shenan Stanley
"A short search likely would have come up with the following answer to your
issue..."

What an arrogant reply, Mr. MS-MVP

I've tried many fixes and many google searches, and still have the problem. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer to ppl who don't have your omnipotence.

Cheers
Shenan Stanley

Re: Cannot Update Windows XP, SP2 after SP3 uninstall - Shenan Stanley
therese meyers wrote:
> "A short search likely would have come up with the following answer
> to your
> issue..."
>
> What an arrogant reply, Mr. MS-MVP
>
> I've tried many fixes and many google searches, and still have the
> problem. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer to ppl who don't have
> your omnipotence.

Your opinion. (Two months later?)

If you would like assistance with your particular issue (which is obviously
unique enough that none of the options below apply?) - please post the
particulars of your issue with as much detail as possible (Operating System,
Service Pack, how you have tried to install the updates that won't install,
the particular updates (by KB######) that won't install, what mnethods to
fix it you have tried, etc.

So far - you have given nothing but an opinion on _part_ of an answer to
someone else. If you have an issue with Windows Update = please feel free
to post the particulars and obtain the assistance you need.

The options I mentioned:

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

therese meyers wrote:

> "A short search likely would have come up with the following answer to your
> issue..."
>
> What an arrogant reply, Mr. MS-MVP
>
> I've tried many fixes and many google searches, and still have the problem.

The original poster hadn't tried any fixes, or (s)he would certainly have
mentioned it. And Shenan was absolutely correct in suggesting that a search
would have found the answers presented, as they're posted in this newsgroup at
least a dozen times on the average day.

Sounds like *you* have a different problem. If you actually want any help with
it, drop the attitude and start a new thread describing your issue and what
you've already tried.

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174