Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
Dave Harvey
 

Posts: n/a
Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?
My remote Windows 2003 web editon server "died" suddently today. Having
managed to extract the event log from it via a recovery console, I can see
(surprise surprise!) that the very last entry before its death was this:

=============================================
Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the
computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
- Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003
(KB950760)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows Server 2003
(KB950759)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951698)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950762)
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB948745)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
==========================================

As it is a remote server, I cannot see the BSOD which is presumably
occuring, but as the disk is accesible via a recovery console, we are clearly
dealing with an update induced bug rather than a hardware issue. Is there
any way (from a recovery console!) to roll back these problem updates and get
back to a bootable system?

--
Dave Harvey
Medical Connections
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2008
dw9357
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?
Dave:
Sounds like the same problem I had with my Windows XP. I think you'll find
that there wasn't a BSOD at all, but just that Windows won't start.

This smells like a faulty Windows Update. I'm surprised we're not hearing
more about it in the forums.

Some of the stuff I've read today suggests that hardware could play a role
in why this happens. One article went so far as to suggest that simply
changing the keyboard could make a difference (skeptical).

I'd be grateful if you would share any progress you make on this.
Naturally, I'm happy to do the same.

TIA,

Dave


"Dave Harvey" wrote:

> My remote Windows 2003 web editon server "died" suddently today. Having
> managed to extract the event log from it via a recovery console, I can see
> (surprise surprise!) that the very last entry before its death was this:
>
> =============================================
> Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the
> computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
> - Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003
> (KB950760)
> - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows Server 2003
> (KB950759)
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951698)
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950762)
> - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB948745)
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> ==========================================
>
> As it is a remote server, I cannot see the BSOD which is presumably
> occuring, but as the disk is accesible via a recovery console, we are clearly
> dealing with an update induced bug rather than a hardware issue. Is there
> any way (from a recovery console!) to roll back these problem updates and get
> back to a bootable system?
>
> --
> Dave Harvey
> Medical Connections

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2008
Dave Harvey
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any idea
Dave,

Thanks for the info - I had seen your post, but of course XP is not EXACTLY
the same as server 2003!

In my case I don't have the luxury of changing a keyboard - it is a blade
server sitting in Germany (I'm in the UK)....can you give me a pointer to the
other postings/info you've seen on this?

At the moment I'm simply rescuing files - but I will certainly let you know
if I find anything useful.
--
Dave Harvey
Medical Connections


"dw9357" wrote:

> Dave:
> Sounds like the same problem I had with my Windows XP. I think you'll find
> that there wasn't a BSOD at all, but just that Windows won't start.
>
> This smells like a faulty Windows Update. I'm surprised we're not hearing
> more about it in the forums.
>
> Some of the stuff I've read today suggests that hardware could play a role
> in why this happens. One article went so far as to suggest that simply
> changing the keyboard could make a difference (skeptical).
>
> I'd be grateful if you would share any progress you make on this.
> Naturally, I'm happy to do the same.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave
>
>
> "Dave Harvey" wrote:
>
> > My remote Windows 2003 web editon server "died" suddently today. Having
> > managed to extract the event log from it via a recovery console, I can see
> > (surprise surprise!) that the very last entry before its death was this:
> >
> > =============================================
> > Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the
> > computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
> > - Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003
> > (KB950760)
> > - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows Server 2003
> > (KB950759)
> > - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951698)
> > - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950762)
> > - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)
> > - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB948745)
> >
> > For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> > ==========================================
> >
> > As it is a remote server, I cannot see the BSOD which is presumably
> > occuring, but as the disk is accesible via a recovery console, we are clearly
> > dealing with an update induced bug rather than a hardware issue. Is there
> > any way (from a recovery console!) to roll back these problem updates and get
> > back to a bootable system?
> >
> > --
> > Dave Harvey
> > Medical Connections

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2008
ballzie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?

Dave,
I ran into the same problem when these updates went out. Actually
didn't realize my system was blue screening because it would turn off
so quick after POST and the CPU fan wasn't turning so I assumed
overheating, however after replacing the fan and still seeing the same
problem I turned off the auto reboot on failure and noticed the BSOD.
The BSOD I had was BAD_POOL_HEADER which, after reading through some
forums, seems like it can be related to alot of different things
however one of the entries mentioned USB problems so I removed the usb
mouse and pulled a stick of memory and the problem was resolved. Not
sure which fixed the BSOD but I'm guessing it was removing the USB
mouse. I'm hesitant to T/S the system to figure out which removed
piece of HW fixed it since it is now running again, but when I do I'll
update this post. As far as what you can do remotely, I haven't a
clue. Not sure if you can get into the BIOS remotely, you may be able
to turn off some devices (like USB) in the BIOS and see if it will
allow you to boot.

--Brian


--
ballzie
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ballzie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51507
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=984725

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?
I've applied these patches to several 2k3 systems with no issues.

BSOD's are driver related not usually patch related.

ballzie wrote:
> Dave,
> I ran into the same problem when these updates went out. Actually
> didn't realize my system was blue screening because it would turn off
> so quick after POST and the CPU fan wasn't turning so I assumed
> overheating, however after replacing the fan and still seeing the same
> problem I turned off the auto reboot on failure and noticed the BSOD.
> The BSOD I had was BAD_POOL_HEADER which, after reading through some
> forums, seems like it can be related to alot of different things
> however one of the entries mentioned USB problems so I removed the usb
> mouse and pulled a stick of memory and the problem was resolved. Not
> sure which fixed the BSOD but I'm guessing it was removing the USB
> mouse. I'm hesitant to T/S the system to figure out which removed
> piece of HW fixed it since it is now running again, but when I do I'll
> update this post. As far as what you can do remotely, I haven't a
> clue. Not sure if you can get into the BIOS remotely, you may be able
> to turn off some devices (like USB) in the BIOS and see if it will
> allow you to boot.
>
> --Brian
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2008
taderz
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates today seem to have killed my Server 2003 :-( Any ideas?

Hi Dave
I Am having the same problem with a sbs 2003 box. I have access to the
box and it does to to BSOD. it is just locking everyone out including
admin.
this usually starts with a w32time id 22 error followed by a kdc error
id 7 .

at this point it locks down and wont even accept the admin password
onsite. the box will not accept any mstsc and the hosted website goes
down.

this box is a new clients and was still on sp1 we upgraded it yesterday
to sp2 to rule out that a as problem, we have uninstalled the installed
updates except for Microsoft mal software tool which we will be removing
today.

the only thing that seems to be able to snap it out of its state is a
hard reboot at which point is works for a while. the problem generaly
repeats anywhere from 4-24 hours later.

have you had any luck with troubleshooting?

taderz


--
taderz
------------------------------------------------------------------------
taderz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/taderz.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/984725.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How the Ideas and Events of 1993 Created the World We Live in Today Steve General Technology News 0 05-30-2008 19:30
updates failing on Windows Server 2003 SP2 P G Palmer microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 01-11-2008 15:43
Error 57E when automatic SP3 Office 2003 update on Vista - Any Ideas?? Mike microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 12-26-2007 10:51
RE: 10-10 Automatic Updates Killed XP Media Center Vanessa microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-18-2007 17:46
USA now many kids you killed in Iraq today? Borked Pseudo Mailed microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 14 11-12-2007 04:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120