Re: Error number: 0x80244023] and/or error 512

Mickie Jacobson

Re: Error number: 0x80244023] and/or error 512
Is there anyone on Earth who has a fix fort his issue? We are running ISA
2004 and have added a rule for 'Windows Updates' including aALL the websites
the update servicecs uses per another KB article on this!
H E L P !
-Mick

South Florida

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Matzen" <Matzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem - please post the solution if you found one. just to
> > mention: I have no proxy at all, the connection is done using an ISA gateway
> > with NAT and the site can be accessed without problem when using the IE only.

> Regardless of what you call it if the ISA server is in the middle between
> your client and the remote host server and especially if it is looking at
> the userid of the process making the request I suspect you would have
> the same problems that have been documented for an authenticating proxy server.
>
> <title>You experience problems when you access the Windows Update
> Version 5 or Version 6 Web site through a server that is running ISA Server</title>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885819
>

> > I've looked up the error inside the log file:
> >
> > WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> > http://update.microsoft.com/v6/micro...r/muredir.cab: error
> > 0x801901f8

> This suggests that the proxy server is sending an HTTP 504 response.
> (Perhaps also seen as "gateway timeout.") You could try tracing the
> request and response to be sure. However, I think the best place to
> diagnose this symptom would be on the proxy server itself.
>

> > But http://update.microsoft.com/v6/micro...ir/muredir.cab can be
> > opened from the same machine using IE without any problem.

> That suggests that your account is authorized by the proxy server
> but the account being used by (for example) the BITS service is not.
>

> > The issue is persistent on one of our win 2k3 webed. servers while other web
> > ed servers in the same domain/network do not have that problem.

> Perhaps those servers are allowing anonymous connections? Etc.
>

> IMO diagnosing this issue further would best be handled
> on a newsgroup which specializes in supporting your ISA server.
>
> In case someone there is willing to reply to you through my reply
> I am crossposting to such a newsgroup now. Since you are posting
> through a web interface you may be able (depending on the portal
> you are using) to use the link in the header of my message to switch
> to the other newsgroup.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> Link to full thread for the convenience of readers
> in the other newsgroup:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1-6f89fcbef130

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Re: Error number: 0x80244023] and/or error 512
Based on the error It's not a permissions issue on ISA. Is this all
machines behind ISA that have the problem?
If it's just one machine, what does it tell you when you run this at a
command prompt:
proxycfg.exe
(if it's windows 2000, copy proxycfg.exe from an xp machine)

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

--------------------

Mickie

Re: Error number: 0x80244023] and/or error 512
Eddie,
Yes, this is happening for ALL users/Servers that point to my proxy server!
Oncec I remove the user/computer either off the proxy and/or off the specific
group policy (that forces proxy) then I can run the Windows Updates. I would
rather have it so I can use Windows updates THROUGH my proxy as there are
hundreds of workstations and dozens of servers to manage and we do not have a
SUS server or budgeted moneis for one right now!
Thanks for your help!
-Mickie
South Florida