June 10th Update Problem

Sceleris

June 10th Update Problem
After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
Windows XP to date with no problems until now.

- Sound drivers are no longer recognised

- Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style", and
"Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
settings menu

- Device manager is now empty

- Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty

- Cannot move icons on desktop

- System restore tool does not work

These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
rene195029@hotmail .com

RE: June 10th Update Problem
Could anybody help me with update problem on window xp

"Sceleris" wrote:

> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>
> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>
> - Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style", and
> "Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
> settings menu
>
> - Device manager is now empty
>
> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>
> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>
> - System restore tool does not work
>
> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

butler04

RE: June 10th Update Problem
im having the same problems as u are please let me no if u get a fix from any
one and i will do the same thanks

"rene195029@hotmail .com" wrote:

> Could anybody help me with update problem on window xp
>
> "Sceleris" wrote:
>
> > After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> > the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates to
> > Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
> >
> > - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
> >
> > - Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style", and
> > "Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
> > settings menu
> >
> > - Device manager is now empty
> >
> > - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
> >
> > - Cannot move icons on desktop
> >
> > - System restore tool does not work
> >
> > These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> > discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: June 10th Update Problem
What updates were installed, Sceleris? Was Windows XP SP 3 one of them?

Do you have a Norton application installed?

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

==============================

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sceleris wrote:
> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates
> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>
> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>
> - Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style",
> and
> "Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
> settings menu
>
> - Device manager is now empty
>
> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>
> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>
> - System restore tool does not work
>
> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sceleris

Re: June 10th Update Problem
I am aware of the issue with Norton applications - I do not have any Norton
software installed on my computer.

I'm afraid I don't have access to the computer in question at the moment,
but unless Windows XP SP3 was made available as an automatic update and would
have downloaded and installed without me having chosen to do so, then I don't
think I have installed SP3 yet.

If I have simply been letting Windows Update do its thing, and installed
updates when it downloads them, would that have meant SP3 was installed?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What updates were installed, Sceleris? Was Windows XP SP 3 one of them?
>
> Do you have a Norton application installed?
>
> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
> Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> ==============================

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Sceleris wrote:
> > After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th, 2008,
> > the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates
> > Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
> >
> > - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
> >
> > - Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style",
> > and
> > "Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
> > settings menu
> >
> > - Device manager is now empty
> >
> > - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
> >
> > - Cannot move icons on desktop
> >
> > - System restore tool does not work
> >
> > These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have not
> > discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: June 10th Update Problem
Was a Norton application ever installed on the machine?

You can view your Update History at Windows Update website:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Sceleris wrote:
> I am aware of the issue with Norton applications - I do not have any
> Norton
> software installed on my computer.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have access to the computer in question at the moment,
> but unless Windows XP SP3 was made available as an automatic update and
> would have downloaded and installed without me having chosen to do so,
> then
> I don't think I have installed SP3 yet.
>
> If I have simply been letting Windows Update do its thing, and installed
> updates when it downloads them, would that have meant SP3 was installed?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What updates were installed, Sceleris? Was Windows XP SP 3 one of them?
>>
>> Do you have a Norton application installed?
>>
>> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
>> Windows XP Service Pack 3:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>>
>> ==============================
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Sceleris wrote:
>>> After installing the Windows XP updates made available on June 10th,
>>> 2008,
>>> the following issues have arised. I believe I have installed all updates
>>> Windows XP to date with no problems until now.
>>>
>>> - Sound drivers are no longer recognised
>>>
>>> - Display has changed from "WindowsXP style" to "Windows Classic style",
>>> and
>>> "Windows XP style" is no longer available as an option in the Display
>>> settings menu
>>>
>>> - Device manager is now empty
>>>
>>> - Network connections do not work, network connections folder is empty
>>>
>>> - Cannot move icons on desktop
>>>
>>> - System restore tool does not work
>>>
>>> These are the problems I am aware of so far, there may be more I have
>>> not
>>> discovered yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sceleris

Re: June 10th Update Problem
No, I don't believe Norton applications were ever installed on my machine.

I am unable to view my Update History due to my network connections not
working at all.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Was a Norton application ever installed on the machine?
>
> You can view your Update History at Windows Update website:
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
>

> Sceleris wrote:
> > I am aware of the issue with Norton applications - I do not have any
> > Norton
> > software installed on my computer.
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't have access to the computer in question at the moment,
> > but unless Windows XP SP3 was made available as an automatic update and
> > would have downloaded and installed without me having chosen to do so,
> > then
> > I don't think I have installed SP3 yet.
> >
> > If I have simply been letting Windows Update do its thing, and installed
> > updates when it downloads them, would that have meant SP3 was installed?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> What updates were installed, Sceleris? Was Windows XP SP 3 one of them?
> >>
> >> Do you have a Norton application installed?
> >>
> >> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
> >> Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> >>
> >> ==============================
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> >>
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select
> >> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sceleris

Re: June 10th Update Problem
*UPDATE*

I have found out that in addition to all the issues I found earlier, I am
also not able to copy / paste files in windows explorer.

I managed to find out what updates I installed, and they are the following:

KB951698
KB950760
KB951376
KB950762

There was also a 5th one which I tried uninstalling and so I don't have its
ID number, but after uninstalling one, I am no longer able to uninstall the
others.

"Sceleris" wrote:

> No, I don't believe Norton applications were ever installed on my machine.
>
> I am unable to view my Update History due to my network connections not
> working at all.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Was a Norton application ever installed on the machine?
> >
> > You can view your Update History at Windows Update website:
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
> >

> > Sceleris wrote:
> > > I am aware of the issue with Norton applications - I do not have any
> > > Norton
> > > software installed on my computer.
> > >
> > > I'm afraid I don't have access to the computer in question at the moment,
> > > but unless Windows XP SP3 was made available as an automatic update and
> > > would have downloaded and installed without me having chosen to do so,
> > > then
> > > I don't think I have installed SP3 yet.
> > >
> > > If I have simply been letting Windows Update do its thing, and installed
> > > updates when it downloads them, would that have meant SP3 was installed?

Re: June 10th Update Problem
The 5th one was probably KB950759 (Cumulative Security Update for IE).

Sounds like you might have a "hijackware" infection (or worse). Please
answer these diagnostic questions:

=> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)?

=> Does the machine connect via a router?

=> Start | Run | (type or copy/paste) winver | OK: Is "Service Pack 3" or
"Service Pack 2" listed here?
--
~PA Bear

Sceleris wrote:
> *UPDATE*
>
> I have found out that in addition to all the issues I found earlier, I am
> also not able to copy / paste files in windows explorer.
>
> I managed to find out what updates I installed, and they are the
> following:
>
> KB951698
> KB950760
> KB951376
> KB950762
>
> There was also a 5th one which I tried uninstalling and so I don't have
> its
> ID number, but after uninstalling one, I am no longer able to uninstall
> the
> others.
>
> "Sceleris" wrote:
>> No, I don't believe Norton applications were ever installed on my
>> machine.
>>
>> I am unable to view my Update History due to my network connections not
>> working at all.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Was a Norton application ever installed on the machine?
>>>
>>> You can view your Update History at Windows Update website:
>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Sceleris

Re: June 10th Update Problem
Thanks for getting back to me. I think you were right in saying that it was
"hijackware" or a virus - I found someone else online with similar symptoms
and concluded that it would be easiest for me to format the hard drive
partition with Windows on it and reinstall Windows.

I had McAfee antivirus installed and updated, Windows SP2 firewall and
connected to the internet via a router with certain ports forwarded. Perhaps
I should close those ports unless needed to minimize chances of this
happening again?