Windows XP Service Pack 3

westerlady

Windows XP Service Pack 3
After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen with
a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which are
in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one to
revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work either).
I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that Service
Pack 3 is not installed.

Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested to
me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for a
few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Hard Bloggin Mama

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3

"westerlady" wrote:

> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen with
> a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
> recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which are
> in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one to
> revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work either).
> I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that Service
> Pack 3 is not installed.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested to
> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for a
> few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Hard Bloggin Mama

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3
My machine won't boot either.

The only thing I did this morning was install the update on my HP 9500.

Now - nothing. Safe mode won't work. BSOD only.

"westerlady" wrote:

> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen with
> a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
> recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which are
> in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one to
> revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work either).
> I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that Service
> Pack 3 is not installed.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested to
> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for a
> few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

westerlady

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Have you tried Safe Mode and waiting a feww minutes. I found it took ages
to respond but when it did, at least gave me the option to restore to a
previous state with System Restore.

"Hard Bloggin Mama" wrote:

> "westerlady" wrote:
>
> > After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen with
> > a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
> > recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which are
> > in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one to
> > revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work either).
> > I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that Service
> > Pack 3 is not installed.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested to
> > me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for a
> > few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed SP3?

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

westerlady wrote:
> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen
> with a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software
> loaded recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of
> which are in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work)
> and one to revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not
> work either). I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore,
> meaning that Service Pack 3 is not installed.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested
> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for
> few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem, HBM. Thanks.

Hard Bloggin Mama wrote:
> My machine won't boot either.
>
> The only thing I did this morning was install the update on my HP 9500.
>
> Now - nothing. Safe mode won't work. BSOD only.
>

> "westerlady" wrote:
>
>> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen
>> with a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software
>> loaded recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of
>> which are in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not
>> work)
>> and one to revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not
>> work either). I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore,
>> meaning that Service Pack 3 is not installed.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested
>> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it
>> for
>> a few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

realcestmoi

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Helllo to everyone posting in here.

If you want help for something particulair I advise you kindly to start your
own topic on the issue that is giving you problems and not posting in Lotika
Purkayastha the topicstarters topic.

That way someone might be able to assist you properly.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

<Lotika Purkayastha@discussions.microsoft.com>
"Hard Bloggin Mama" <HardBlogginMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:76FAC639-8F16-4B4D-B35D-F8A7F4A191CA@microsoft.com...
> My machine won't boot either.
>
> The only thing I did this morning was install the update on my HP 9500.
>
> Now - nothing. Safe mode won't work. BSOD only.
>

> "westerlady" wrote:
>
>> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen
>> with
>> a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
>> recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which
>> are
>> in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one
>> revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work
>> either).
>> I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that
>> Service
>> Pack 3 is not installed.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested
>> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it
>> for a
>> few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
[westerlady did start a new thread. Since she chose an identical subject,
her post ended up being threaded in this one (as far as your newsreader's
concerned). Her post's headers include no References to the other thread.]

realcestmoi wrote:
> Helllo to everyone posting in here.
>
> If you want help for something particulair I advise you kindly to start
> your
> own topic on the issue that is giving you problems and not posting in
> Lotika
> Purkayastha the topicstarters topic.
>
> That way someone might be able to assist you properly.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> <Lotika Purkayastha@discussions.microsoft.com>
> "Hard Bloggin Mama" <HardBlogginMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:76FAC639-8F16-4B4D-B35D-F8A7F4A191CA@microsoft.com...
>> My machine won't boot either.
>>
>> The only thing I did this morning was install the update on my HP 9500.
>>
>> Now - nothing. Safe mode won't work. BSOD only.
>>

>> "westerlady" wrote:
>>
>>> After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen
>>> with
>>> a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software loaded
>>> recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of which
>>> are
>>> in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work) and one
>>> revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not work
>>> either).
>>> I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore, meaning that
>>> Service
>>> Pack 3 is not installed.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested
>>> me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it
>>> for a
>>> few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

westerlady

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Thanks for recognising that I started the thread in the first place! I have
Norton Internet Security with a Norton Add-on pack anti-spam facility. The
only firewall I use is the one with Norton and all this was enabled when I
installed SP3. I have spoken to a consultant at PC World who advised that no
way should I disable Norton. He advised me to wait a few weeks and try
downbloading SP3 again. However, meanwhile it remains downloaded on my PC
(but not installed) and I do not know how to remove it as it does not show in
Add/Remove Programs.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed SP3?

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> westerlady wrote:
> > After installation of SP3 I cannot run Windows normally. I get a screen
> > with a long message that tells me this is probably due to new software
> > loaded recently but I have not loaded any! It suggests 4 options two of
> > which are in Safe Mode, one to Start Windows Normally (this will not work)
> > and one to revert to the last known screen which did work (this does not
> > work either). I then have to go into Safe Mode and use System Restore,
> > meaning that Service Pack 3 is not installed.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this problem please? It has been suggested
> > me that SP3 uis causing a lot of problems at the moment so to leave it for
> > few weeks. So, how to I do I delete the download on my PC?

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
[Print this reply and show it to your consultant at PC World.]

> ...I have spoken to a consultant at PC World who
> advised that no way should I disable Norton.

Well, I disagree with him and so do a lot of other respected sources:

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Now read:

FAQ: Upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1
with your Norton 2008 product installed
http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccom...080530144453EN

And then read:

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

KB953791 was released on 10 Jun-08 and chances are that it would be offer to
your machine via Windows Update and/or Automatic Updates. I believe it (and
the installation tips above) would allow you to have a successful install of
WinXP SP3.

Again, remember that you can get FREE support on this from Microsoft. See
my previous reply.

Good luck!