What happened to XP SP3?

SteveL

What happened to XP SP3?
SP3 is no longer available for download on windows update site...

TIA
Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
It was there this morning when I updated a couple of our machines.

"SteveL" <SteveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: SP3 is no longer available for download on windows update site...
:
: TIA

Shenan Stanley

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
SteveL wrote:
> SP3 is no longer available for download on windows update site...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

So I decided to test if SP3 was being offered via the Windows Update website
still - installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 level machine - visited the web
site ( http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ) and checked for updates and
this is what I ended up at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/newshelp...50143299911026

So - as far as I can tell - Windows XP SP3 is still being offered in all the
ways (at least) it has been offered since it was first released to the
public. Are you sure you don't already have it installed?

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> click OK.

What does it say?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

SteveL

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
Thank you both for your replies, and yes I have not installed it on 2
workstations because they are running a 3rd party 16 bit app. I have to wait
until the programmer has done a test on his pc to see how it is going to
affect the app.

I just did the update again and it is know offering the SP3, thanks again..

Steve

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> SteveL wrote:
> > SP3 is no longer available for download on windows update site...

> Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
> and Developers
>
> So I decided to test if SP3 was being offered via the Windows Update website
> still - installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 level machine - visited the web
> site ( http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ) and checked for updates and
> this is what I ended up at:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/newshelp...50143299911026
>
> So - as far as I can tell - Windows XP SP3 is still being offered in all the
> ways (at least) it has been offered since it was first released to the
> public. Are you sure you don't already have it installed?
>
> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> click OK.
>
> What does it say?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Gis Bun

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
SP3 may not show up if you have the service pack blocker. It also may not
show up if you require an update prior to installing or has one of the known
issues affecting SP3.

"SteveL" wrote:

> Thank you both for your replies, and yes I have not installed it on 2
> workstations because they are running a 3rd party 16 bit app. I have to wait
> until the programmer has done a test on his pc to see how it is going to
> affect the app.
>
> I just did the update again and it is know offering the SP3, thanks again..
>
> Steve
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > SteveL wrote:
> > > SP3 is no longer available for download on windows update site...

> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
> > and Developers
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > So I decided to test if SP3 was being offered via the Windows Update website
> > still - installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 level machine - visited the web
> > site ( http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ) and checked for updates and
> > this is what I ended up at:
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/newshelp...50143299911026
> >
> > So - as far as I can tell - Windows XP SP3 is still being offered in all the
> > ways (at least) it has been offered since it was first released to the
> > public. Are you sure you don't already have it installed?
> >
> > Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> > winver
> > --> click OK.
> >
> > What does it say?
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --
> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

RHinNC

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
What service pack blocker?

"Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SP3 may not show up if you have the service pack blocker. It also may not
> show up if you require an update prior to installing or has one of the
> known
> issues affecting SP3.
>
> "SteveL" wrote:
>
>> Thank you both for your replies, and yes I have not installed it on 2
>> workstations because they are running a 3rd party 16 bit app. I have to
>> wait
>> until the programmer has done a test on his pc to see how it is going to
>> affect the app.
>>
>> I just did the update again and it is know offering the SP3, thanks
>> again..
>>
>> Steve

>> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>> >
>> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT
>> > Professionals
>> > and Developers
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>> >
>> > So I decided to test if SP3 was being offered via the Windows Update
>> > website
>> > still - installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 level machine - visited the
>> > web
>> > site ( http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ) and checked for updates
>> > and
>> > this is what I ended up at:
>> > http://picasaweb.google.com/newshelp...50143299911026
>> >
>> > So - as far as I can tell - Windows XP SP3 is still being offered in
>> > all the
>> > ways (at least) it has been offered since it was first released to the
>> > public. Are you sure you don't already have it installed?
>> >
>> > Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>> > winver
>> > --> click OK.
>> >
>> > What does it say?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Shenan Stanley
>> > MS-MVP
>> > --
>> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Shenan Stanley

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
<snip>
RHinNC wrote:
> What service pack blocker?

For almost every service pack for Windows XP (and now Vista and Windows
2003) - Microsoft has released a tool to 'block' the installation of the
service pack for some period of time. The reason for this is to help those
who have legacy applications that will fail with the application of said
service pack to have more time to fix the issues with their applications
without the worry of accidental acceptance/installation of the service pack
by non-deliberate means. (My take on it - not the official line I am sure.)

Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

gerryd

Re: What happened to XP SP3?
Having just gotten into this conversation, should I assume that after all
bugs are taken out of the current application that I have SP3 will be auto
installed???

gerryd wrote:
> Having just gotten into this conversation, should I assume that
> after all bugs are taken out of the current application that I have
> SP3 will be auto installed???

Unsure what you are saying.
SP3 for Windows XP is SP3 for Windows XP and will remain unchanged.

For the most part - any issues reported with SP3 are fixed by the user
cleaning up/removing certain things.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP