ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt after automatic update today!

dw9357

ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt after automatic update today!
Hi all.

I have Windows XP Professional and I keep it fully patched. It's running
SP3 and everything was fine this morning until I installed the recent batch
of security updates:

KB950760
KB950759
KB950762
KB951376
KB951698
KB890830

After the install I was told to reboot my computer. It never came back up.
Instead I got a black screen with a message saying that ntoskrnl.exe is
missing or corrupt.

Since I can't start windows, I can't roll-back the changes. I've already
tried a few of the steps in other forum posts here and it doesn't seem to
change things.

So, am I hosed? Is anyone else having this issue?

SteveL

RE: ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt after automatic update today!
Do you have a floppy inserted in the floppy drive? If so remove it.

"dw9357" wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have Windows XP Professional and I keep it fully patched. It's running
> SP3 and everything was fine this morning until I installed the recent batch
> of security updates:
>
> KB950760
> KB950759
> KB950762
> KB951376
> KB951698
> KB890830
>
> After the install I was told to reboot my computer. It never came back up.
> Instead I got a black screen with a message saying that ntoskrnl.exe is
> missing or corrupt.
>
> Since I can't start windows, I can't roll-back the changes. I've already
> tried a few of the steps in other forum posts here and it doesn't seem to
> change things.
>
> So, am I hosed? Is anyone else having this issue?

dw9357

RE: ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt after automatic update toda
Nope. No floppies.

I used the recovery console from the CD. It can see the Windows directory
and there's nothing wrong with the boot.ini.

I tried to run a chkdsk /f and it said something like "multiple
unrecoverable errors" or the like.

This is all very odd because the system was working just fine minutes before
I installed the update.

Thanks in advance!

"SteveL" wrote:

> Do you have a floppy inserted in the floppy drive? If so remove it.
>
> "dw9357" wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have Windows XP Professional and I keep it fully patched. It's running
> > SP3 and everything was fine this morning until I installed the recent batch
> > of security updates:
> >
> > KB950760
> > KB950759
> > KB950762
> > KB951376
> > KB951698
> > KB890830
> >
> > After the install I was told to reboot my computer. It never came back up.
> > Instead I got a black screen with a message saying that ntoskrnl.exe is
> > missing or corrupt.
> >
> > Since I can't start windows, I can't roll-back the changes. I've already
> > tried a few of the steps in other forum posts here and it doesn't seem to
> > change things.
> >
> > So, am I hosed? Is anyone else having this issue?

redknapp

RE: ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt after automatic update toda
Vista was already installed when I bought it and I had NO Vista disc/DVD (I
bought it brand new from an online supplier called Laskeys)

Can someone please advise how I can combat this problem?