Windows XP Reboot Loop: Help!!

coloradoboy18

Windows XP Reboot Loop: Help!!

my computer is stuck in a reboot loop. i have an intel pentium 4 desktop
computer. it is windows xp home edition. the problem happened after i
installed the windows service package 2 (i know, im a little behind).
it seemed to install the update fine but after i restarted my computer
i couldnt seem to get to my desktop. the computer manages to get to the
light blue windows xp loading screen but instead of entering my desktop
the computer reboots and the whole process starts over again. after
reading other forums, i tried the F8 method but couldnt seem to make it
work. last known configuration and safe mode dont seem to work but i may
have not done them correctly; im no computer whiz. but after pressing
the "disable automatic restart on system failure" option, i got this
error message on the "blue screen of death" (this happened after the
light blue xp loading screen instead of it restarting like it usually
does):
STOP: c000021a Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

what should i do? i dont want to have to reinstall windows xp and lose
my data as i have some important documents and music mp3s on it. ive
read about possibly doing a repair install? how does that work, would
it work, and would it save my data? is there another option? thanks in
advance.

--
coloradoboy18
coloradoboy18's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51394

http://forums.techarena.in

Alias

Re: Windows XP Reboot Loop: Help!!
coloradoboy18 wrote:
> my computer is stuck in a reboot loop. i have an intel pentium 4 desktop
> computer. it is windows xp home edition. the problem happened after i
> installed the windows service package 2 (i know, im a little behind).
> it seemed to install the update fine but after i restarted my computer
> i couldnt seem to get to my desktop. the computer manages to get to the
> light blue windows xp loading screen but instead of entering my desktop
> the computer reboots and the whole process starts over again. after
> reading other forums, i tried the F8 method but couldnt seem to make it
> work. last known configuration and safe mode dont seem to work but i may
> have not done them correctly; im no computer whiz. but after pressing
> the "disable automatic restart on system failure" option, i got this
> error message on the "blue screen of death" (this happened after the
> light blue xp loading screen instead of it restarting like it usually
> does):
> STOP: c000021a Unknown Hard Error
> Unknown Hard Error
>
> what should i do? i dont want to have to reinstall windows xp and lose
> my data as i have some important documents and music mp3s on it. ive
> read about possibly doing a repair install? how does that work, would
> it work, and would it save my data? is there another option? thanks in
> advance.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317189

Before you do that, however, remove the hard drive from your computer
and put it in another computer after changing the jumpers to Slave and
copy all your data like MP3s, documents etc. Then remove it, set the
jumpers back to Master, put it back in the original computer and follow
the instructions from the Microsoft web site.

Once you have it sorted out, buy a new hard drive and an external USB
enclosure and use it to BACK UP regularly. Back up is a computer users
best friend.

Alias