SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"

RAC1959

SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"
I've been trying to install SP3. It seems to go through the procedures okay
regarding install, but when it gets to the 'running processes after install'
section, the procedure hangs and does not proceed any further. I left it to
run overnight, but when I checked this morning, the progress bar had not
moved from when I left it. I should mention that when I tried installing it a
few weeks back and received the '0x0000007E' error, I rolled back the pc to a
previous restore point, so I'm not sure if that may have played a part in the
difficulties I'm having now. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do
to fix this problem, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"
Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

First see:

You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Now see:

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than
an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service
Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

On 10 Jun-08, Windows Update and Automatic Updates started offering KB953356
to affected machines (as determined by the Windows Update engine).

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RAC1959 wrote:
> I've been trying to install SP3. It seems to go through the procedures
> okay
> regarding install, but when it gets to the 'running processes after
> install'
> section, the procedure hangs and does not proceed any further. I left it
> run overnight, but when I checked this morning, the progress bar had not
> moved from when I left it. I should mention that when I tried installing
> it
> a few weeks back and received the '0x0000007E' error, I rolled back the pc
> to a previous restore point, so I'm not sure if that may have played a
> part
> in the difficulties I'm having now. If anyone has any suggestions on what
> can do to fix this problem, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

RAC1959

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"
SP3 was installed via Windows Update with Automatic Updates enabled.

Now here comes the strange part. When I got home this afternoon, I checked
my system information and lo and behold: "Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Build 2600"

So even though the updater never completed its post install processes, it
appears that my version of SP is indeed 3.

PA Bear, muchas gracias (or should I say "Woof!") for your post and your
assistance!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> First see:
>
> You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
> (Revised 06 May-08)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
>
> Now see:
>
> Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than
> an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service
> Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356
>
> On 10 Jun-08, Windows Update and Automatic Updates started offering KB953356
> to affected machines (as determined by the Windows Update engine).

> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> RAC1959 wrote:
> > I've been trying to install SP3. It seems to go through the procedures
> > okay
> > regarding install, but when it gets to the 'running processes after
> > install'
> > section, the procedure hangs and does not proceed any further. I left it
> > run overnight, but when I checked this morning, the progress bar had not
> > moved from when I left it. I should mention that when I tried installing
> > it
> > a few weeks back and received the '0x0000007E' error, I rolled back the pc
> > to a previous restore point, so I'm not sure if that may have played a
> > part
> > in the difficulties I'm having now. If anyone has any suggestions on what
> > can do to fix this problem, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"
<VBEG> You're very welcome and thanks for your feedback.

Purely out of curiosity, can you examine your Update History at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (or in your WindowsUpdate.log) and tell
me if KB953356 installed during the last 24 hours or so?
--
~PA Bear

RAC1959 wrote:
> [...]
>>> okay
>>> regarding install, but when it gets to the 'running processes after
>>> install'
>>> section, the procedure hangs and does not proceed any further. I left
>>> it
>>> run overnight, but when I checked this morning, the progress bar had not
>>> moved from when I left it. I should mention that when I tried installing
>>> it
>>> a few weeks back and received the '0x0000007E' error, I rolled back the
>>> pc
>>> to a previous restore point, so I'm not sure if that may have played a
>>> part
>>> in the difficulties I'm having now. If anyone has any suggestions on
>>> what
>>> can do to fix this problem, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

jw72253

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"

if you are also running Windows Defender, this may be causing a problem
for you. i had the same problem a couple of times but finally solved it
on my machine. the update was failing to proceed past "running
processes after install." then, as i was trying again, i was watching
carefully and noticed that windows defender was giving me an alert that
a change to the system was being made and it was waiting for me to give
permission for this change to proceed. this alert was only visible
briefly and another message from windows defender popped up, but this
one was not one that was waiting for me to give permission. this second
alert obscured the first alert from my view before i could click on it
to authorize the change. this same alert probably occured both of the
previous times but i did not notice it due to the second alert blocking
it from view. since i never gave permission, the process was not
permitted and the update failed at this point.
however, because i saw it this third time, what i did was click on the
windows defender icon in my notification area on the task bar right
away, and then the screen where i was supposed to authorize or deny the
process became visible for me to act on. so, i clicked on the
authorization button and everything was fine. the update proceeded
without a glitch.

--
jw72253
jw72253's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=53081

http://forums.techarena.in

pickledbeets

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"

I tried several times to install the update and was always stopped at
this point.

I was and still am using Norton 360.

I first confirmed that I had archived the email that I had used which
had the link that allowed me to download the Norton 360 software.

That being done, I completely uninstalled Norton 360 using all of the
default options that were offered along the way, ie saving backups,
shutting down other Norton software, etc.

Since I had the update downloaded and ready to install, I disabled my
internet connection to avoid any trouble with that.

I disabled all of my tray icons as well as using "Process Explorer", a
task manager clone, to turn off all but the necessary functions and
services.

I then installed the update with no problems.

I had attempted this before by disabling the firewall and auto-protect
to no avail.

When the install was finished, I reinstalled the Norton 360 software
with no problem. Just make sure that you know your Norton username and
password because you will be prompted for them along the way. Also be
sure that you know your product key and serial number although if you
are installing from an email as I did, the email will fill that in for
you.

Norton won't lose any of your subscription info. Mine was there
waiting for me when I got there.

After that, I used the registry repair function of "CCleaner" to clean
up all of the registry mess that this action caused. There were about
150 bad entries.

I hope this helps someone else out there.

--
pickledbeets
pickledbeets's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/pickledbeets.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"
You may have gone & shot yourself in the foot!

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pickledbeets wrote:
<snip>
> After that, I used the registry repair function of "CCleaner" to clean
> up all of the registry mess that this action caused. There were about
> 150 bad entries.

pickledbeets

Re: SP3 hangs at "Running Processes After Install"

The foot still seems to be intact.

The registry cleaner does prompt for backup and I have created a file
called "Reg Files" in My Documents which the programs defaults to every
time that I remove anything from the registry.

I can simply restore the registry values that have been deleted by
clicking on the respective date that is indicated.

It's a tight little program that has never left me hanging.

But that is not really the subject of this post but rather a
postscript.

What should really be gleaned from this is the necessity of removing
the antivirus suite rather than simply disabling it before installing
the SP3 update.

At least that is what I had to do

--
pickledbeets
pickledbeets's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/pickledbeets.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/984365.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

pickledbeets wrote:

> The registry cleaner does prompt for backup and I have created a file
> called "Reg Files" in My Documents which the programs defaults to every
> time that I remove anything from the registry.
>
> I can simply restore the registry values that have been deleted by
> clicking on the respective date that is indicated.

Hmmm ... but what you can't do is work out what registry values *would have*
been set by other installers (or whatever) had the removed values been present
at the time of installation.

If you know enough about the registry to vet each of the "bad entries" and
confirm it really really doesn't belong, that's OK, although it probably isn't
worth the effort for the infinitesimal benefit removing a registry value usually
provides.

Harry.