MS or Windows downloads not working.

Paul

MS or Windows downloads not working.
Hi all,
I've recently had a problem with my PC, no idea what started it, but I had
to re-load all my software.
I repaired XP SP2, as that was not loading properly either. Not a full
install, just the repair option)
Now, all my Software works (With one odd problem - see below) but I cannot
download any of the 98 updates I need from MS.
Before this "Crash" I had IE7 running fine, now I have IE6....but IE7 S/w
is stil on the machine.
I have verified with MS that my product key is genuine (I knew it was
because I bought it!) but I needed to know that MS were recognising it.
It's worked for 3 years on updates no problem)

The software that does not work is Painter Classic. "Not Enough memory to
run Painter". Funny, it has enough memory to run Photoshop CS2 whilst doing
other things too.
Probably not a related problem, but it could be.
Over to you, the experts

Re: MS or Windows downloads not working.
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've recently had a problem with my PC, no idea what started it, but I had
> to re-load all my software.
> I repaired XP SP2, as that was not loading properly either. Not a full
> install, just the repair option)
> Now, all my Software works (With one odd problem - see below) but I cannot
> download any of the 98 updates I need from MS.
> Before this "Crash" I had IE7 running fine, now I have IE6....but IE7 S/w
> is stil on the machine.
> I have verified with MS that my product key is genuine (I knew it was
> because I bought it!) but I needed to know that MS were recognising it.
> It's worked for 3 years on updates no problem)
>
> The software that does not work is Painter Classic. "Not Enough memory to
> run Painter". Funny, it has enough memory to run Photoshop CS2 whilst
> doing other things too.
> Probably not a related problem, but it could be.
> Over to you, the experts

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: MS or Windows downloads not working.
Paul,

Please see this MSKB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

> MORE INFORMATION
> If you performed a repair installation of Windows XP but did not uninstall Internet Explorer 7,
> Internet Explorer will not run. To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps.

> If Internet Explorer is not listed in the Currently installed programs list, follow these steps:
> 1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Console. For more information about how to use the Recovery
> Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/ How to install and use the Recovery Console in
> Windows XP
> 2. Type the following commands.
>
> Note Press ENTER after each command.
> CD ie7\spuninst
> batch Spuninst.txt

That's the only way you'll get the system back to IE6.
Next, see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Try Method 1 first, if no joy, do Method 2. To install the latest
Version of the Windows Update Agent, please use the method laid out
here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Paul wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've recently had a problem with my PC, no idea what started it, but I had
> to re-load all my software.
> I repaired XP SP2, as that was not loading properly either. Not a full
> install, just the repair option)
> Now, all my Software works (With one odd problem - see below) but I cannot
> download any of the 98 updates I need from MS.
> Before this "Crash" I had IE7 running fine, now I have IE6....but IE7 S/w
> is stil on the machine.
> I have verified with MS that my product key is genuine (I knew it was
> because I bought it!) but I needed to know that MS were recognising it.
> It's worked for 3 years on updates no problem)
>
> The software that does not work is Painter Classic. "Not Enough memory to
> run Painter". Funny, it has enough memory to run Photoshop CS2 whilst doing
> other things too.
> Probably not a related problem, but it could be.
> Over to you, the experts

Paul

Re: MS or Windows downloads not working.
Thanks guys!

I actually managed to repair it (Touch-wood) before I read your posts...but
have printed the MS advice you linked me to, just in case.
I knew the problem was linked to having IE7 s/w still on the C drive.
I managed to download IE7 from the MS main site (Not the update site)...once
I had hold of that the other updates worked from the normal update site.
Except WMP 11, which I will figure out why sooner or later.

Thanks again.